Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Atkins and Exercise: Do They Mix Well?

Old 01-26-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Atkins and Exercise: Do They Mix Well?

I'm considering going on the Atkins Diet. However, I enjoy working out, snowshoeing, snowboarding, hiking, etc. Carbs are an important part of getting energy, and cutting back carbs is pretty important to Atkins.

I'm yet to read the Atkins Diet book, so perhaps this is answered there, but I would like to hear from others who have done Atkins and exercised regularly. Do you get enough energy from your diet? Even in those first weeks when carbs intake is very strictly watched?
Old 01-26-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Atkins will be ok for that... if you need to go on a diet, you are intaking too many carbs, simple as that. Can you just cut back on the carb stuff, breads, candy, and leave it at that, without going on a full regemine?

If you are looking for healthier eating, and not just losing weight, consider something alont the lines of South Beach Diet, or similar, which promotes a balance of things your budy needs instead of constricting one part.
Old 01-26-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much fat do you want to lose? If you work out plenty, a small adjustment in your regular eating habits may be all you need. The problem with things like Atkins is that they are temporary changes in diet, and therefore (usually) lead to temporary changes in weight.

If, in spite of your regular exercize, you are still packing extra fat, look at the short chain carbohydrates in your diet, and either eliminate them, or substitute long chain carbs. English muffins (with a little fruit) instead of glazed donuts, for example.
Old 01-26-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

i didnt do strict atkins.. but i did a atkin's type low carb diet awhile back
definitly recommend excercise.. in my opinion, i never understood the point of a diet without exercise, because its the tone and muscle gain that is going to allow you to keep the weight off once you lose it.
Old 01-26-06, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ShagMan
f you need to go on a diet, you are intaking too many carbs, simple as that.
Hogwash. I eat a diet full of carbs, and my weight is fine.

If you work out a lot you want carbs. Eat a balanced diet (as opposed to "going on a diet") and cut down on the fat.
Old 01-26-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hogwash. I eat a diet full of carbs, and my weight is fine.

If you work out a lot you want carbs. Eat a balanced diet (as opposed to "going on a diet") and cut down on the fat.
Nonsense. I find that I thrive on a high-fat diet.

-Cancer
Old 01-26-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

I've had great success on Atkins for quick weight loss. Energy levels were low at the start, but they bounced back rather quickly and exercise came easily.
Old 01-26-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the REAL atkins diet allows carbs, just not the first 2 weeks. most people just dont "get" that.

when i was 21 I was 204 lbs and short. i ate VERY low fat and did the stairmaster 45 minutes in the am and 45 minutes in the pm. didnt lose a pound after almost a month.

graduated, learned about atkins.

did the REAL atkins diet. started going to the gym.

lost 35 pounds and put on a LOT of muscle. completely changed my body.

you NEED both.

when your body goes into ketosis, you use your body fat as energy the same way you would use carbs. its the whole principal of the diet.

there are different phases of atkins but everyone seems to only thing about phase one.

i was in phase 3, eating 35+ grams of carbs a day, losing weight and more importantly, shifting my weight.

protein builds muscle but a few carbs are essential to aiding the process. just eat GOOD carbs. snickers dolesnt satisfy anything but a sweet tooth.
Old 01-26-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did atkins for a year and worked out after the first 2 days so your energy levels go up, I lost 100 lbs but after I went back to a normal diet, I did gain some of the weight back. One thing I didn't like about atkins was that if you accidently ate a carb you had to start all over again, that was a real pain. If you want to lose some weight quick then atkins is the way to go.

I would do atkins again but I missed bread and dairy too much. Now I do nutrisystem and i lose about 2lbs a week and I work out every day.
Old 01-26-06, 10:49 AM

Just avoid taking walks in winter.

Old 01-26-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Screw those diet fads. Just eat healthy and expend more calories than you consume. Simple as that. I've lost over 50 pounds in the past year by eating less, not eating junk food and running my ass off.
Old 01-26-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 190 pounds and have been for years. I'd like to lose maybe 10 pounds of fat. I'm in relatively good shape, and I eat fairly well. I've been cutting back on junk food, but I feel that I need a plan. Some sort of routine. I don't always have the will power to just say "I'm eating better." I need something more structured.

I'm 33 and don't work out like I used to. So it's to the point where work outs alone won't help me stay trim. I don't want to go on a diet per se. I just want to change my eating habits for the better. I will admit, though, that I don't see myself ever cutting back all the way. Pizza, for example, will always be a part of my eating habits at least once or twice a month.

Last edited by bishop2knight; 01-26-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-26-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Screw those diet fads. Just eat healthy and expend more calories than you consume. Simple as that.

Works everytime....
Old 01-26-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
I'm 190 pounds and have been for years. I'd like to lose maybe 10 pounds of fat. I'm in relatively good shape, and I eat fairly well. I've been cutting back on junk food, but I feel that I need a plan. Some sort of routine. I don't always have the will power to just say "I'm eating better." I need something more structured.

I'm 33 and don't work out like I used to. So it's to the point where work outs alone won't help me stay trim. I don't want to go on a diet per se. I just want to change my eating habits for the better. I will admit, though, that I don't see myself ever cutting back all the way. Pizza, for example, will always be a part of my eating habits at least once or twice a month.

Then atkins isn't for you, it's more of a diet for people who need to lose alot of weight, plus you'll probably lose the 10lbs in the first week.
Old 01-26-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah...Atkins is for people who need to lose a lot of weight, and for people who want a quick weight loss early. Im not going to debate the merits of any diet, because all diets if done properly do work in the short term especially, but sounds like to me, you just need to maybe cut your calories back by maybe 500 and keep your level of exercise the same or increase it some. Dont do anything to drastic, it will be hard to maintain in the long run and then you will more than where you started. Just a few tweaks to what you are doing now seems all you need.
Old 01-26-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Yeah...Atkins is for people who need to lose a lot of weight, and for people who want a quick weight loss early. Im not going to debate the merits of any diet, because all diets if done properly do work in the short term especially, but sounds like to me, you just need to maybe cut your calories back by maybe 500 and keep your level of exercise the same or increase it some. Dont do anything to drastic, it will be hard to maintain in the long run and then you will more than where you started. Just a few tweaks to what you are doing now seems all you need.
Thanks for this measured response. I was afraid this thread was about to be taken over by the self-righteous brigade. As for the "losing a lot of weight" comment, Atkins worked fantastic for me when I needed to shed 30 pounds, and it has proven a great lifestyle diet for me, since I have Diabetes in my family. Also, my bad-cholesterol levels have plummeted.
Old 01-26-06, 11:41 AM
Banned

From my own personal research I've found that eating lots of fast food and sitting around at home go great together.
Old 01-26-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bishop2knight

try cutting out simple carbs and starches. For meals eat 1/3 meat and the rest veggies. I usually like to eat fresh veggies as a salad and rarely eat steamed veggies. I also try to avoid romaine lettuce and try to eat the darker green lettuce varieties. If I eat pasta i try to get whole wheat or something similar or baby yukon potatoes. Someone in florida just bred some low carb potatoes, but it's hard to find them.
Old 01-26-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
Screw those diet fads. Just eat healthy and expend more calories than you consume. Simple as that.
But I've got a glandular problem.

Old 01-26-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what I'm worried about is that cutting carbs back will translate to less energy at the gym. I already have too little energy as it is since I'm tired from working all day.

Plus, I want to gain muscle. And if I want to gain muscle, I can't really cut back on calories, right? I need to keep the calorie levels the same, but maybe get them from healthier sources.

I've always felt that being on the fence and leaning towards being overweight is the worst place to be. If I'm fat or too thin, it seems obvious what needs to happen (at least on the most basic level). But for me, it's like a tweak here and there, and I never know what tweak I need to make.
Old 01-26-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
But I've got a glandular problem.

I didn't know a fork was part of the human body.
Old 01-26-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

along with everything else.. I still think one of the most important parts of ANY of these diets (along with excercise) is drinking TONS of water
if you're not drinking 3 cups more a day than you think you can handle, then you're not trying hard enough!
Old 01-26-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
along with everything else.. I still think one of the most important parts of ANY of these diets (along with excercise) is drinking TONS of water
if you're not drinking 3 cups more a day than you think you can handle, then you're not trying hard enough!
I agree. I drink all day. Hell, I probably have 5 pounds of just water weight I drink so much. I have a litre bottle next to me right now. I've filled it up three times today.
Old 01-26-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basicaly, losing weight in mostly about creating a caloric deficit. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound. So by creating a daily caloric deficit (burning 500 more than you take in), you should lose weight slowly but in a healthy, safe way. Just adjust your gym routine and food intake accordingly.
Old 01-26-06, 02:07 PM

Here's my semi-educated opinion: Find out what kind of fiber or anything else they don't count as actualy carbs for Atkins, and eat more of those. I have no idea if that would work, and I'm sure you'd poop alot, but that's all I have to say about that.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.