Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet another noisy neighbor thread...how would you deal with it?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-06-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we've lived in this apartment complex for 5 months. We have these neighbors behind us that sound like they're holding rap auditions every night.

Their walls are right next to ours, so the bass thumps throughout our entire apartment. I mentioned this to the landlord, and she said that "they're really nice people, and I'm sure they don't even realize that they're making too much noise".

She said she'd ask them to tone it down, but it's gotten louder since then. If it was just a few times a week, I wouldn't care, but we're talking 8am, 11am, 3pm, 6pm, 10pm, and 1am. Keep in mind that is when it starts. It goes on for at least 2 hours.

Non-stop rap and R&B music, day and night. I usually work nights, so I have to get some sleep in the afternoon.

I have thought of banging on the wall, or getting a new HT system and moving into a position where it'll make them miserable. I just don't want them to flip out and key my car or something, or try and start trouble.

What would you do? Try and limit the jokes, please, I am serious here
Old 11-06-05, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave your water running.
Old 11-06-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hooker, 2 pounds of meth, and 3 boxes of condoms.

You know what to do.
Old 11-06-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

uhm....talk to them?

Have you walked over there and asked them to be more aware of when and how loudly they play their music? Asking the landlord before talking to them is not the best way to go about things.

I had a similar problem....but the guy was a drug dealer and had an anger problem. Needless to say, he wasn't very amenable (sp?) to changing his listening habits. He didn't even play good music....he was an aspiring rapper, and sucked.

-p
Old 11-06-05, 05:30 PM

Find out what your local laws are. In Vegas, doesn't matter the time of day, loud music is considered a nuisance. Had some renters in my neighborhood that thought it was American Bandstand Redux in their garage almost nightly. Their house was 4 houses from mine and I still heard the bass over my TV. After 2 calls to the police to stop it, the 3rd time I said I wanted to press charges/have them cited (they can get hit with a misdemeanor here for it)...Once they found this out they promised the police they would never do it again if I didn't have them cited. I told the police this was their last chance....one year later I haven't heard a peep from them.

Don't how well this would work in an apartment setting though. Most have paper thin walls and even a loud TV can be heard thru them. I'd call the police though and find out what your options are.
Old 11-06-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In MD they have an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment law that protects tenants from crap like this. They probably have something similar for your state.

-p
Old 11-06-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Talk to them first
2. If that doesn't work call the PoPos
Old 11-06-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

E.m.p.
Old 11-06-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) Get your amateur radio license.
2) Buy an HF tranceiver, a 1.5KW linear amp, and an appropriate antenna.
3) When they crank it up, so do you. With the proper signal (a 60hz square wave will work nicely) you may be able to blow their speakers.

With less expensive equipment you may be able to induce enough noise to convince them to turn it down.
Old 11-06-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try talking to them. My roommate and I have been on the receiving end of 2 noise complaints so far, even though we've tried to keep it down. It's probably because of my sub when we watch movies. We do our best to be considerate and reasonable, but hey, it's an apartment, and these walls are super thin.

Anyway, I was watching Star Wars around 8pm one day. It wasn't too loud or anything, but I got a knock on my door from my neighbors who I shared a wall with. It was two chicks (law students) who said in the nicest way possible that they were studying and that their walls were literally shaking. I told them I was sorry about it, and that I would turn down my sub. Then I gave them my phone number so that they could call me up and let me know if I was being too loud again. We talked for a little bit, and I even showed them my theater and told them we should have a movie night with all the neighbors one of these days.

Needless to say, talking to your neighbors about it might prove to be more effective. It certainly was for me. Maybe you and your neighbors can come to some kind of compromise. It sure was a lot better than getting another cold noise complaint on my door from the management.
Old 11-06-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have to go ask them to turn it down. You just come off as weak if you get someone else to do it for you.
Old 11-06-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Lethal Nemesis
Anyway, I was watching Star Wars around 8pm one day. It wasn't too loud or anything, but I got a knock on my door from my neighbors who I shared a wall with. It was two chicks (law students) who said in the nicest way possible that they were studying and that their walls were literally shaking. I told them I was sorry about it, and that I would turn down my sub. Then I gave them my phone number so that they could told them we should have a movie night with all the neighbors one of these days....
Lethal, you am smoov!

i also recommend talking to them first, if they're dicks or if the noise increases, then go with Pistol Pete's idea!
Old 11-06-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try talking to them (nicely), they may honestly not be aware of how loud they are being.
Old 11-06-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flashback
You have to go ask them to turn it down. You just come off as weak sauce if you get someone else to do it for you.
fixed.

btw...I agree.

-p
Old 11-07-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
So we've lived in this apartment complex for 5 months. We have these neighbors behind us that sound like they're holding rap auditions every night.
Stop by and ask if they have any backup dancers you could borrow for an hour or so. If they don't, ask them to quiet it down a bit.
Old 11-07-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 11-07-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

blast the Celine Dion Titanic song really loud back at them.
Old 11-07-05, 06:23 AM
Suspended

Get ya one of these:

Then when the blast the music, shoot a few rounds through the walls. That should quiet them down.
Old 11-07-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you people CRAZY! TALK to them? They are playing RAP MUSIC! You'll get killed or called something dirty!
Old 11-07-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'll probably click on it and make some smart-ass response. That's how I will deal with the thread.
Old 11-07-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you've repeatedly brought it up to your management company and they will do nothing, that is when to get the police involved.
Old 11-07-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'll probably click on it and make some smart-ass response. That's how I will deal with the thread.
touche
Old 11-07-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The way I see it you have three options:

1. Deal with it yourself.
2. Let somebody else deal with it.
3. Ignore it.

I would just talk to the neighbor, especially if you see them at the mailbox, going in or out of the building, etc. That way you are at a neutral location which would put them into a defensive posture immediately. If they don't change their behavior, then knock on their door. If they have to turn down the music to talk to you at the door -- it's too loud.

Or, call the police and/or the landlord, let them knock on their door and say that "a neighbor" has complained. This will piss them off if you haven't talked to them.

Or, get some earplugs. Or start blasting your own music.
Old 11-07-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course, if you talk to them first, then end up having to call the cops on them later, they'll know it was you and then you are doomed...DOOMED!
Old 11-07-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.