Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why I won't depend on the police: show up 1 hour after alarm goes off

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-05-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=32883
Investigators raised a lot of questions during a Friday news conference, when they admitted the home had a security system, and that the alarm was tripped about 1:30am. Lt. Ken Bienko said police responded to the alarm about an hour after it was tripped, and found nothing wrong.

"It was busy that night, and they checked the perimeter of the building, didn't find anything amiss, and reported it was checked ok," Lt. Bienko said.

Detective Sgt. James Lonergan said, "From ground level he (the police officer) probably wouldn't see it (the broken window). It's a second floor and there's a first floor roof that protrudes quite a bit."
Old 11-05-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I wouldn't expect them to respond quickly to these things which is why I'd opt for security services that offer their own crew to respond to alarms.
Old 11-05-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
but all the commercials make it seem like the cops show up in 2 minutes
hope people learn from this
but even if taking an hour can be explained, the sloppiness of their checking out the premisis can not

http://www.city-buffalo.com/Police/M...Statistics.htm

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-05-05 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still, it was 2:30 in the morning so it must have been pretty dark, that can be a reasonable excuse for not seeing one broken window on the second floor.
Old 11-06-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This reminds me of when my wife returned home after a we were burgleized several years ago.

911: 911, what's the emergency?
Mrs Pete: (shaking and crying) Uh, my house has been broken into. I just walked in the door and everything is a mess. The back window is broken.
911: Well, we're running behind today. It'll be about an hour before someone can get there.
Mrs Pete: (thinking quickly) How do I know that they aren't still here?
911: Ma'am, someone will be there in 2 minutes. Please wait out front.

The cop was there almost immediately.
Old 11-06-05, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you were being raped your butt would be sore after an hour. Something must be done!
Old 11-06-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

unless its code 3, there won't be a rush.
Old 11-06-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, there are a lot of motorists out there to tazer. Wait your turn.
Old 11-06-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Still, it was 2:30 in the morning so it must have been pretty dark, that can be a reasonable excuse for not seeing one broken window on the second floor.
That's what flashlights are for!

Sonic
Old 11-06-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
House alarms that summon the police are such a waste. Waste of their time and resources.
Old 11-06-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
911: 911, what's the emergency?
Mrs Pete: (shaking and crying) Uh, my house has been broken into. I just walked in the door and everything is a mess. The back window is broken.
911: Well, we're running behind today. It'll be about an hour before someone can get there.
Mrs Pete: (thinking quickly) How do I know that they aren't still here?
911: Ma'am, someone will be there in 2 minutes. Please wait out front.

The cop was there almost immediately.
That reminds me of this joke:

George was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window.
George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" and he said "no." Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available.
George said, "Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again. "Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now cause I've just shot them all." Then he hung up.
Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an
ambulance showed up at the Phillips residence and caught the burglars red-handed.
One of the Policemen said to George: "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"
George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"
Old 11-06-05, 11:40 AM
Uber Member

Police in a decent sized city responde to tens of thousands of burglar alarm calls every year. Only a very small percentage of those calls (like less than 10%) are valid. So it's understandable that they can get a little blase with responding to them.

I believe most police departments consider burglar alarms to be fairly high priority because they are supposed to mean there's an actual burglar on someone's property which could lead to a deadly encounter with the owner of the property. But given the above statistics, it's very easy for them to get pulled off on another (equally high priority call). Also, there are factors such as available units, whether they are in the vicinity, the accuracy of the information given to 911 dispatch, whether 911 makes an error in dispatching. And yes, sometimes the police just take too long to get there. It averages around 10-15 minutes though. Better depending on the reputation of the alarm company, or whether the alarm is verified (alarm company says they can hear and/or see burglars on the property).

Don't forget, police LOVE to catch the bad guys. But they're also human. Send them on enough goose chases and they'll get a bit tired of responding as fast as possible.

Also, locations aren't always easy to access and/or check. No external lighting, locked gates, dogs are just a few of the things that make it difficult for an officer to determine whether a facility has been broken into.

No alarm system is a guarantee that you won't ever get broken into, it's just the best step available to provide a measure of security for your property while you're not there (or, depending on the system, while you're there too).

I work for a burglar alarm company, so you can take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but guard services aren't necessarily much better than having police response, or even as good. There are alarm companies that provide verifiable alarm services (audio and/or video) and I would recommend going with one of them (naturally ). Some places are also starting to enact False Alarm ordinances which generally fine the owners of the burglar alarm for false alarms (most false alarms are customer caused or equipment failures).
Old 11-06-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here in Phoenix, if you have more than one false alarm per year where police respond, you get fined. First offense is like $150 and it keeps going up from there.