Reload this Page >

Getting collection calls for previous user of my phone number

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-04-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've gotten like 3 calls from American Medical Response about some patient being taken in and them owing AMR money or insurance info. This is obviously for the person who previously had my number. I've already spoken to them once (when an automated system was leaving me messages) and now I'm getting rude phone calls from someone saying that they're going to refer to a collections agency (the last thing I want is some asshole calling my phone all the time). This would be something simple if I could get a hold of the people leaving me messages but they close at 5pm and there doesn't seem to be any way to leave these asshats a message even if you know they're extension. Anyone else ever have this happen? I swear, why do these morons find it so hard to believe that someone else got a phone number of someone else? I guess i'll call from work tomorrow.
Old 10-04-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they'll be sending bills to your address and you can check the return address and write them back explaining the situation?

btw, you already contacted your phone company and told them to change names assigned to the number, right?
Old 10-04-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have had our present phone number for almost 7 years now and to this day we will still occasionally get calls looking for the people who had this number previously.
They have to be the biggest deadbeats on the face of the earth. We used to get calls from all sorts of businesses and collection agencies looking for them.
We would of course tell them that those people are no longer associated with this number, so update your records and stop calling us. But we would still get collection calls because they probably thought we really were the people they wanted and were just lying about it to make them stop calling.
Old 10-04-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG we have the same problem here! We've had this number for over 4 years now and we still get collection calls from the same collection place. When I tell them that we're not the people they're looking for, they call me a liar and tell me that I sound like her and to quit pretending that I'm not her.

Now when they call, I give the phone to one of my kids. Fucktards.
Old 10-04-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was able to get through and leave the guy a message (he for some reason is listed in their directory under his first name and not his last name). I told him the situation and how I had previously spoken with someone at AMR and that they still continue to contact me. I'm going to call the phone company just to double check but AFAIK the number is indeed in my name and has been since January (which is ridiculous since the person is saying the patient was taken to the hospital on 7/5). Maybe they just have the wrong number. either way I think I'm going to call the phone company and see what they say. God, and they wonder why people are not getting land lines anymore.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 10-04-05 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At my old townhouse I had a guy try to serve me. Do I look like a lady in her mid 30's-40's?! (ppssst...the answer better be no!)

The guy seemed dissapointed. I guess he was waiting around for a bit watching the place.
Old 10-04-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 years and I continue to get calls for some lady. Funny thing is they come in spurts and local friends still call me. I don't know who the lady is nor do I really care.
Old 10-04-05, 07:21 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, you should just have fun with this. Next time they call, tell them you're not paying their bill because the medical procedure they performed didn't work. The following time, tell them you're not paying because the medical system is corrupt. The time after that tell them you got a message from the Mothership that you are not to pay them under any circumstances. And so on.

What can they do? It's not your bill!
Old 10-04-05, 07:26 PM

Change your phone number. It's not as much of a pain as it used to be, since most everyone has cell phones and don't know your actual number anyway, they just edit the entry. I had Hollywood Video, mortgage companies, and three other collection agencies calling me for the person who had my number before me.

You can get frustrated and keep telling them it's not your number, or change it.
Old 10-04-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPT
Change your phone number. It's not as much of a pain as it used to be, since most everyone has cell phones and don't know your actual number anyway, they just edit the entry. I had Hollywood Video, mortgage companies, and three other collection agencies calling me for the person who had my number before me.

You can get frustrated and keep telling them it's not your number, or change it.
yeah i think if they still don't get it I may do that.
Old 10-04-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Dude, you should just have fun with this. Next time they call, tell them you're not paying their bill because the medical procedure they performed didn't work. The following time, tell them you're not paying because the medical system is corrupt. The time after that tell them you got a message from the Mothership that you are not to pay them under any circumstances. And so on.

EXACTLY. Have tremendous fun. I've done it before. Turn it into a positive. Tell the people on the other end everything you've wanted to tell your mother, father, brother, sister, friends, boss, co-workers, that would normally never say.

Here's my idea for a good one:

Tell them you're a Scientologist and that you don't believe in medical treatment, so why are they calling you??!!!!
Old 10-04-05, 08:16 PM
Enormous Genitals

Or tell them you can't pay because you're about to be raptured.
Old 10-04-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a good one too. Ok, how about we compromise on this story then. Say you're a Protestant, and tell them to go to HELL!!!

----

Maybe say you don't have a phone and just how in God's Great Name are they calling you?
Old 10-04-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You sir, are a god.
Old 10-04-05, 08:33 PM

I have a "distinctive ring" number for my fax machine and some telemarketer keeps calling. I called the number on my Caller ID and I get a message that it is some charity group and is therefore exempt from the Do Not Call list.

It is a new number so they are oviously trying to reach whoever had it before, but it is so annoying as they keep calling and the phone rings and my fax answers it, so of course they hang up. You would think they would get the message that it is a fax machine. Anyway, I left them a message that this was a business number and a fax machine and I would appreciate they take me off their list. I haven't gotten a call in a few days so maybe the finally took the hint.

For my other main number, whch is new, I have given it to a few businesses like Sears and the cable company, and they always ask if I am some person that lives on another street that must have had my number previously. It is strange that so many places ID you by your phone number, given how that can change and be re-assigned.
Old 10-04-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A guy I work with had this problem. He consulted a lawyer and ended up getting about $100,000 settlement for harrassing him.
Then about a year later, the idiots started calling him again. He got another $85,000. So far, they have learned their lesson.
Old 10-04-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No way. What's your friend's lawyer's number. I'll even pay you 10% of what I get.
Old 10-04-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I have a "distinctive ring" number for my fax machine and some telemarketer keeps calling. I called the number on my Caller ID and I get a message that it is some charity group and is therefore exempt from the Do Not Call list.

It is a new number so they are oviously trying to reach whoever had it before, but it is so annoying as they keep calling and the phone rings and my fax answers it, so of course they hang up. You would think they would get the message that it is a fax machine. Anyway, I left them a message that this was a business number and a fax machine and I would appreciate they take me off their list. I haven't gotten a call in a few days so maybe the finally took the hint.

For my other main number, whch is new, I have given it to a few businesses like Sears and the cable company, and they always ask if I am some person that lives on another street that must have had my number previously. It is strange that so many places ID you by your phone number, given how that can change and be re-assigned.
I keep on getting calls from The ARC.
Old 10-04-05, 08:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
You sir, are a god.
A god? A god???
Old 10-04-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A god? A god???
A small one but one nevertheless.
Old 10-04-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A god? A god???
She's dsylexic.
Old 10-04-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Try selling them some magazines.
Old 10-04-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPT

But won't changing the number just pass on the problem to someone else, assuming they do recycle numbers by assigning them to someone else like a new customer?
Old 10-04-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Probably. But what can you do? Drive to the location of the collection agency giving you a hard time and kill everyone there and destroy their database?
Old 10-04-05, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
But won't changing the number just pass on the problem to someone else, assuming they do recycle numbers by assigning them to someone else like a new customer?
Yes, but that's a problem the phone company needs to address. It's not like selling a salvage titled car without telling the person.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.