Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Help a guy out--How do I go about buying kitchen appliances?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-03-05, 04:15 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive never bought large kitchen appliances before. Theres a huge selection in price and brand name for refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, and microwaves. I need one of each and Ive been going over features and specs til its all a blur.

I guess im asking if theres any brands that suck really bad or that are overpriced because of the name? Also, how can I tell how loud a dishwasher is? Are all refrigerators the same? I know enough that i dont want stainless steel exteriors--I dont want to be polishing the stuff. The rest I have to figure out.

help!
Old 10-03-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you plan on moving much you might want to stay with a larger chain (Sears) for warranty repairs and parts, etc. For the most part, you want to stick with the common brands...Kenmore, Maytag, GE, etc. For microwaves, I don't know that brand name makes much difference. Not sure what to tell you about how loud a dishwasher is.
Old 10-03-05, 04:53 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Any advice helps! Even a good non biased website that rates stuff would be nice. Im not too sure about epinions and its hard to tell whats a non biased review. If people just know about one or two appliances please throw in your 2 cents!
Old 10-03-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've bought most of mine in Sears, but check out other stores. Consumer Reports is a good source of info.

Personally I hate my Kenmore stove. It was like $699 and it's made pretty cheap. If you want quality, then you need to pony up the cash.

I forgot the exact names, but the big companies are Maytag and Kenmore or Whirlpool. Both have 3 brands that are the low price, mid price and high price. As you go up you get more features. There are also brands like Viking that are super expensive but very nice.
Old 10-03-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Old 10-03-05, 05:21 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Shazam
Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Not always. Oftentimes money is exchanged for headaches and problems, without anything to show for it.
Old 10-03-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best Buy has an LG fridge for like $3000 that also has an LCD screen you can use as a TV
Old 10-03-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sears, at least around here, has a "Scratch and Dent" warehouse. For example, a washer that got dinged on the side and can't be sold. Usually 25-50% off.

I'd say for the most part if you stick with something you know (GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc.) you will probably do OK. Buy some magazines with reviews, etc.
Old 10-03-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you want to buy your stuff from sears goto http://www.passporttofun.com and join for $12.95/month you can get 20% off on Sears Gift Cards.
Old 10-03-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sears will pricematch, and they also run good sales with 0% for various lenghts of time. They also have good closeouts on name brands, many times you will see a free install too.

I have bought the last 3 appliances from Sears (either Kenmore brand or Whirlpool brand, many times the kenmore is made my whirlpool)

One I bought from Costco, it was a whirlpool as well.

Needless to say, I like Sears and I like whirlpool. I am not into designer appliances, I want basic features and I want them to run troublefree.

Consumers Reports is about the best source of reliablity data you can get.

As for features, you will just have to figure out what you want. I think normal rules of life apply here, the more features you get the more likely it is that something will not work correctly over time

GE products tend to cost more for repairs than most competitors due to high parts prices. They have some innovative stuff, but if it ever breaks on you out of warranty you will most likely be better off just buying another one.

Another reason I like Sears, they generally service what they sell.
Old 10-03-05, 10:25 PM

We're looking to get some new appliances as well, and if you do any regular shopping at Home Depot, they've got a deal going where you can get a gift card of varying value with an appliance purchase. We're looking to get a new fridge, stove, and dishwasher, which will net us about $350 in gift cards.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...pliance_GC.pdf

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to purchase the stuff by wednesday, though.
Old 10-03-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just loot New Orleans?

Kenmore is pretty good from what I've seen
Old 10-03-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st stick with a top name brand.
2nd most place you can negotiate so try to get them to deliver free or throw in an extended warranty.
3rd purchase 10% off coupons for Lowes/Home Depot on ebay, then wait for a sale. Tho the coupons say you cannot combine deals they rarely if ever enforce that. Also if you have a coupon from one of them, the other store may take it.
4th the Sears web site is very good and allows you to compare
5th YES get a quite dishwasher. Especially if you have an open kitchen. The different brands call it different things, but typically this is found in the mid level and up units. Look for a "quite package", "insulated for noise", etc.
6th unless this is for rental property don't even look at the very cheapest models. These are known a "builders grade" and pretty much suck.
7th if you are replacing appliance for appliance, you can probably install yourself but these things are a pain to move and if you are not use to moving them you could easily scratch your floor, cabinets the unit itself, etc.
8th think about what you are doing with your old units. You usually have to pay extra for the company to haul off your old one.
Old 10-04-05, 02:40 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

wow great responses thanks! I love you guys!
Old 10-04-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Seriously, look for the energystar symbol, you can save quite a bit per year on electricity while helping out with energy conservation.
Old 11-09-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Help a guy out--How do I go about buying kitchen appliances?

Yes I know this is a large bump, but this thread seemed to fit better than some of the other threads on the topic.

My parents are looking for a new dishwasher and are a little stumped. Traditionally they've gone with Sears or Best Buy (believe the last washer came from there), however as I've learned with electronics, etc. over the past few years those chains are a huge rip off. This and their new practices ("discount", but $200 delivery and hook up charge) has my parents wanting to go elsewhere.

Now I thought Amazon would be a good source, but I noticed a few things:

1) Amazon delivers next to 0 large appliance, but rather leaves that to other retailers.
2) This leads to few reviews on the products that they do list
3) The prices are better than others (Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy, etc.)

So my two main questions are:

Any good sites to get feedback? Lowes has a good sorting mechanism, but not ratings or feedback.

What locations have the best all around pirce - including delivery, hook up and disposal? Or are you best to tackle some of these separately?
Old 11-09-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

another vote for Sears
Old 11-09-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Superman: I'd also check with a local appliance store. A friend of mine works for one and what he gets me is always better than what I find in stores or online.
Old 11-09-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

In my appliance buying experiences (which includes Sears, HH Gregg, Lowes), it's fairly common for retailers to offer free delivery/hook up/disposal. Usually it applies to appliances over a certain price, but I've never found that to be a problem.
Old 11-09-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Are your parents nearby? I would look for the best deal and then do it myself. Do you have a friend with a pickup truck? Delivery should be easy for a couple of guys. Put a couple of boards on the bumper for a ramp. Home Depot sells furniture dollies (a little cart with a bit of carpet on top) for about $20, and that will get it into the house. Hookup should be nothing more than screwing on a couple of hoses. Call your garbage company to learn what you need to do for them to dispose of the old washer. I'm allowed two free pickups per year.

Kenmore is just a nameplate that Sears glued onto someone else's appliance. Look around online to see who actually manufactured the appliance. Then look for reviews of that company.
Old 11-09-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Kenmore is just a nameplate that Sears glued onto someone else's appliance. Look around online to see who actually manufactured the appliance. Then look for reviews of that company.
Kenmore appliances are made by Whirlpool.

Whirlpool also makes Roper appliances (budget brand) and KitchenAid appliances (expensive brand).

Maytag makes JennAir (expensive) and Magic Chef (budget) brands.

GE makes Hotpoint (budget) brand.
Old 11-09-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure to check out the Consumer Reports reviews on the appliances, plus they will give tips on features to look for, what's new, etc.

As far as the loudness of a dishwasher, they are nothing like what they were twenty or thirty years ago. The noise level should be a part of the research by Consumer Reports and some appliances advertise their loudness level, in dB. They are very low. I just bought a dishwasher this past week, will be picking it up tonight, I went with a low price though (about $300).

If you can, hold off until thanksgiving weekend, I'm sure that there'll be plenty of good sales. Do your research beforehand of course.
Old 11-10-09, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just bought this dishwasher http://whirlpool.com/catalog/product...=108&prod=1326 on special order through Lowes.. It was rated a 'Best Buy' from Consumer Reports and had decent reviews elsewhere. (Consumer Reports has had alot of misses lately...especially on their Kenmore recommendations it seems....think there is a 'partnership' between them...even though Kenmore made by Whirlpool) Luckily my old dishwasher broke down on Columbus Day weekend when they had a 20% off Whirlpool EnergyStar products. Paid $400 with free delivery and take away. (White color, not Stainless) It did take 2 weeks to get in though.
So far it seems to be working well.. although I was quite frustrated that they changed the water inlet connection to a hose type-3/8 water line as I had read the installation manual online and was ready for connection to my 1/2" water line...took me several trips to get the right parts !
Even though this model was rated 'eh' for quietness, it is much quieter than my old dishwasher.

Add: Dishwashers are surprisingly light... I can lift one fairly easily by myself. If you are fairly handy you can remove/install yourself, just make sure you have the right connectors/adapters (see above) and that they are all long enough (another lesson learned !). Although if new flooring was added it could make getting dishwashers in and out a pain.

Another add: GardenWeb.com has a Home forum with discussions about household appliances.

Obviously I went the lower price route... if you/parents want more 'quality' dishwasher then Bosch and Miele are usually recommended but cost in the $1000-1700 range and seems those European brands don't have heated drying.

AND... Sears isn't looking good for staying in business... if that matters to you.

Last edited by greg9x; 11-10-09 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-10-09, 07:42 AM

There are some good deals on black friday for these items.
Old 11-10-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Even though this is a bump, I'm now curious how it went with Ferris' purchases.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.