Reload this Page >

Ingredients in powdered coffee?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-02-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I'm sitting here quietly enjoying one of my favourite beverages - coffee - I got to thinking that I have no absolutely no idea what it is I'm actually drinking. I inspected the tin but that had no list of ingredients and a Google search offered no help, either. Before all six of you who will read this thread jump in and recommend plunger coffee, I'm only drinking it out of necessity but I am nonetheless curious - What is in powdered coffee?
Old 10-02-05, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is your coffee just regular coffee? There's flavored coffee beans that has flavor in it. This is also true on instant coffee, although I'm not sure what else they put in those horrible thing.

Some brand put corn in cheaper coffee sold in third world country but I doubt that's the case in yours.

And yeah, I recommend plunger coffee.
Old 10-02-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the Wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_coffee
Old 10-02-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

eedoon: Yeah, just generic no-name.

FinkPish: Thanks for the link. But still no luck with finding out about all the crap that goes into it, though.
Old 10-02-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
eedoon: Yeah, just generic no-name.

FinkPish: Thanks for the link. But still no luck with finding out about all the crap that goes into it, though.
Um... you do realize that powdered coffee = instant coffee = freeze-dried coffee, right? All they do is take out the water.

So powdered coffee = coffee.
Old 10-02-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ What he said. Or if you want to talk chemically, I'll just quote:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...9335.Ch.r.html

The ingredients in coffee are water and the roasted seeds of the coffee plant, Coffea arabica. The chemical constituents of coffee would be those compounds in the roasted coffee seeds that are soluble in boiling water. According to Dr. Duke's Phytochemical Database, unroasted, green coffee seeds contain the following soluble compounds:

2,3,5-TRIMETHYLPHENOL
2-ETHYLPHENOL
2-METHOXY-4-ETHYLPHENOL
2,4-METHYLENEPHENOL
DICAFFEOYL-QUINIC ACID
4-ETHYLPHENOL
4-METHOXY-4-VINYLPHENOL
ACETALDEHYDE
CAFFEINE
CAFFEOL
CAFFEOYL-3-QUINIC ACID
CAFFETANNIC ACID
CHLOROGENIC ACID
CITRIC ACID
DATURIC ACID
GUAIACOL
HYPOXANTHINE
ISOCHLOROGENIC ACID
PUTRESCINE
SCOPOLETIN
SPERMIDINE
SPERMINE
SUGARS
TANNIC ACID
TANNIN
THEOBROMINE
THEOPHYLLINE
THIAMIN
TRIGONELLINE
XANTHINE

Many of these compounds, like chlorogenic acids, will be destroyed by the roasting process, and many, will be oxidized to form new compounds not listed above. Most of these, like the phenolics at the top, are responsible for the aroma of the coffee, while others, like the xanthine derivatives give coffee its stimulant qualities.
Addendum

Since posting this answer, I've come across several articles from the mid 1970's that describe the source of the bitterness associated with roasted seeds, such as in coffee, chocolate, and various malts. These chemists were able to isolate the compounds that give these foods their distinctive bitternesses, and found them to be cyclic dipeptides, also known as diketopiperazines, or DKP's for short. In chocolates, most of these have phenylalanine as one of the two amino acids, producing benzoyl-diketopiperazines, while the flavorant cyclic dipeptides in coffee all contain at least on proline, producing the heterodicyclic pyrrolidino-diketopiperzine. In coffee, the second amino acid is either another proline (bispyrrolidino-diketopiperzine), or a hydrophobic amino acid, as in cyclo(pro-ile), cyclo(pro-val), or cyclo(pro-phe): this last one is particularly interesting, since it contains phenylalanine, tying the bitterness of coffee with the bitterness of chocolate.
Old 10-02-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Coffee is coffee beans. Unless you have one with creamer in it as well... then it would say the ingredients most likely.

What's in my carrots? Carrots are good and I'd like to learn how to make them, but I can't find a list of ingredients on the side.

Old 10-02-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, you know what -- my bottled water doesn't contain an ingredients list, either!

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO STOP THE CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE?!?!!
Old 10-02-05, 12:16 PM
Banned

Just the other day at was at a college career fair, and I ended up talking to this one guy about coffee for close to 20 minutes. He co-oped at a Folgers Instant Coffee plant.

He said that not even the people who worked there would drink the stuff -- apparently it's not even really coffee. Even the "coffee smell" is sprayed in at the end of the processing.

I'll stick to whole bean, thank you very much. At least that's less chemically altered.
Old 10-02-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
What's in my carrots? Carrots are good and I'd like to learn how to make them, but I can't find a list of ingredients on the side.

Old 10-02-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matta
Just the other day at was at a college career fair, and I ended up talking to this one guy about coffee for close to 20 minutes. He co-oped at a Folgers Instant Coffee plant.

He said that not even the people who worked there would drink the stuff -- apparently it's not even really coffee. Even the "coffee smell" is sprayed in at the end of the processing.

I'll stick to whole bean, thank you very much. At least that's less chemically altered.
I would venture to guess that the reason the workers at the plant don't drink what they make is because they have to smell it all day long. I couldn't eat popcorn for a long time while I was working at a movie theater in high school.

I just watched a show a few weeks ago on The Food Network, I think, about how they make freeze-dried coffee, and for the most part it is just coffee beans with all the moisture extracted. There are chemicals added in the process, but no more so than if you add milk to your coffee. The reason they spray on the smell is because when it is freeze-dried, the coffee has no smell, and they found out the customers preferred to have the coffee smell.
Old 10-02-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oggywHDIYEIWHFDJYUDYGFWBEYFUEGTYHETGRFTRF Y6ET2 WRFE67YT3EERF6
Old 10-02-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NCMojo need his keyboard to be repaired.

That, or he had a caffeine overdose.