Reload this Page >

Very bad paypal/ebay problem

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody won an auction of mine for $105 + shipping. In all of my ebay auctions, I state, "if you have any questions please email me at my yahoo e-mail and all paypal payments are to be sent to my hotmail email.

The buyer sent his payment to my yahoo paypal account which I no longer have access to. I am not even sure the last time I went into that account (almost a year). I e-mailed him that he sent payment to the wrong paypal account and he has not responded yet.

What can I/we do to rectify this situation. Thier is $100+ sitting in a paypal account that nobody has access to.

I tried logging in unsuccessfully, I clicked "Forgot my password" I went thru my e-mail to recover the password and when I click the link they proivde to help recover my password, it says "You did not correctly complete the Verify Your Identity tests. Please follow the alternate instructions below." It then says I have to fax them with my license and a bill with my name and address on it which takes 7-10 days

I am going to call them after work. How is their customer service?
Old 09-28-05, 11:50 AM
Moderator Emeritus

What do you have your Paypal account set to in your Ebay seller account? If it still points to the Yahoo account, you probably should update that.
Old 09-28-05, 11:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

And how is this a VERY BAD problem? It seems that you can get the money, even though it will take a few days.......
Old 09-28-05, 12:15 PM

There is nothing that relates to me having a yahoo paypal account in any of my auctions.

I guess its not a very bad problem if I still get my money. However, I am looking for a more quicker solution rather than find access to a fax machine, find a bill that I can use and wait 7-10 business days or longer until they recover my password.
Old 09-28-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even if you call them - they will still need "proof" that you are who you say you are.

You will have to fax or send them something. The only thing that calling them will do - is have them "freeze" the $ so that no one can take it out of the yahoo e-mail that you can't get to.
Old 09-28-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's just me, but why do you include your e-mail address and paypal e-mail address at all? EBay knows my e-mail address and they know my paypal address and they'll handle it so these things don't happen, and I've never had a problem with people contacting me or getting paid. Besides, it's probably a good idea not to publicly list your e-mail address on an auction because of spam.
Old 09-28-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to call them after work. How is their customer service?
Paypal "customer service" :: Oh wait, you were serious. Good luck with that.

Just out of curiousity, why two different Paypal accounts? You can set up one account with multiple email addresses. Or was one just a personal account (can't accept credit cards)? And yeah, putting your yahoo email address in your listing was asking for trouble. (not surprised about the confusion on the buyers part)
Old 09-28-05, 02:04 PM
Suspended

I thought the person that sent the money can take it back if you hadn't accepted it yet.
Old 09-29-05, 12:41 PM

Kudos to paypal. After making a call, I was back up and running a few minutes later. All I had to do to verify my account was state my name and the last 4 digits of the credit card that I had linked to that account. The service rep gave me detailed instructions on how to refund the monies and close that account.

Overall, it was a much smoother process than I had anticipated
Old 09-29-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad everything worked out for you