Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

X10 Camera's. Anyone here have some?

Old 08-22-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

X10 Camera's. Anyone here have some?

I tried searching but "X10" won't work because it's under 4 letters.. Anywho. Does anyone here have any of the X10 cameras? I am thinking about getting some to use as a baby monitor instead of the $150 video baby monitors that are marketed specifically for that.

Also, I think they would be kinda cool to have (if they work decently). So... Does anyone have any and how are they??
Old 08-22-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These cheap video transmitters are basically crap. They are 2.4Ghz analog and can barely transmit across a room, much less through walls. Be prepared for interference from microwaves, cordless phones, and wifi. Look into 900Mhz or even grey market OTA transmitters (I have one that works on Channel 14).

If you can run a cable, then there are vary cheap solutions. A $20 camera and cable will beat the video quality of almost any analog wireless solution.

Also check out Supercircuits . Here's a $12 camera. Just add power and cable.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 08-22-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think running a cable is likely. I mean... I want to have a camera in one room and then the video in another..

Take that back.. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

So you have experience with them? You say that can't transmit through walls. You know this for fact?

Where to they sell these 900mhz cams your referring to?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-22-05, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I don't think running a cable is likely. I mean... I want to have a camera in one room and then the video in another..

Take that back.. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

So you have experience with them? You say that can't transmit through walls. You know this for fact?

Where to they sell these 900mhz cams your referring to?

Thanks for the reply.
They can transmit through walls, but in my experience the quality varies tremendously with noise. This is because it is an analog system. Try it out first if you can.

900Mhz transmitters tend to cost a bit more and are not as common these days. I bought mine at a flea market for $20. Check out EBay.
Old 08-22-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've used an X10 camera at work for a few years now. Considering it is in a computer lab with a couple hundred pc's worth of electromagnetic interference, including wi-fi, the picture is awesome. I've tested it halfway across the building before and got it about four very big offices/rooms away (probably a few hundred feet) before it became unusable. You should have no problem with it in a home.

The only problem I have with it these days is that it will just stop transmitting a signal all of a sudden (like twice a week). A simple "reboot" (unplug it, plug it back in) solves the problem.
Old 08-22-05, 11:11 AM

Ok, well give it a shot. It's been awhile since I've played with them.
Old 08-22-05, 11:33 AM
Banned

The X10 ones suck. There are much better wireless camera systems out there. X10 is like the bottom of the barrel.
Old 08-22-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
The X10 ones suck. There are much better wireless camera systems out there. X10 is like the bottom of the barrel.
Yeah there might be better, but at least x10.com doesn't do poups or spam you.
Old 08-22-05, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nevermind
Yeah there might be better, but at least x10.com doesn't do poups or spam you.
Old 08-22-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 08-22-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, there is probably better but I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I just want a viable solution to do what I need it to do..

Numanoid, what model(s) do you have?
Old 08-22-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Numanoid, what model(s) do you have?
I guess it's this one, though I got it with a free remote-controlled motorized mount when I bought it.
Old 08-22-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you have it hooked up to the internet? If so, would you mind letting me see the quality? If not, can you take screen shots of the quality?

Thanks dude.
Old 08-22-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Err...it's not a webcam. I suppose I could take a photo of the TV screen, but I'm sure you can imagine what a TV image looks like. It's just a normal, color video image.

Last edited by Numanoid; 08-22-05 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know it's not a webcam but I'm pretty sure they have software/hardware to give it the ability to be viewed online.

IE: I have the camera setup to watch the baby (instead of me having to be there) and I can just go to a webpage to see if he/she is ok until I get home..
Old 08-22-05, 02:34 PM
Banned

tbird: X10 cams don't even have that capability. You can do it with a video capture card or something like that, but you've been talking about video cameras, not webcams.

Which do you want? Something to see it on your TV, or something to see it over the web? Two different things, two different best ways to do it.
Old 08-22-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

do they make outdoor ones? i am looking to set up a camera by my pool and display it on a screen in my kitchen. its about 100ft away.

the screen in the kitchen will be an lcd with computer AND cable connections.
Old 08-22-05, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
do they make outdoor ones? i am looking to set up a camera by my neighbor's pool and display it on a screen in my bedroom. its about 100ft away, fap fap fap
Fixed.
Old 08-22-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Otto
tbird: X10 cams don't even have that capability.
You sure?? It sounds like they do:

Use the WideEye wide-angle lens cameras to keep watch over large areas around your home. Their 120 wide-angle lenses give you a larger line of sight, so it's a great choice for full-room viewing. With the vivid XCam2 WideEye Wireless Color Camera plus XRay Vision Camera Monitoring Software you can easily connect and view your camera on your TV or PC! You can even have images captured by your camera emailed to you or updated to the Internet!

Product Link.
Old 08-22-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although it doesn't sound like you can get "live" video persay.. Looks like just images captured and emailed.

But to your question.. Mainly I want to monitor via live feed on TV.
Old 08-22-05, 03:39 PM

You sure?? It sounds like they do:

Use the WideEye wide-angle lens cameras to keep watch over large areas around your home. Their 120 wide-angle lenses give you a larger line of sight, so it's a great choice for full-room viewing. With the vivid XCam2 WideEye Wireless Color Camera plus XRay Vision Camera Monitoring Software you can easily connect and view your camera on your TV or PC! You can even have images captured by your camera emailed to you or updated to the Internet!

Product Link.