Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this a new scam? Weird foreign coins given as change?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-19-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I was using a coinstar machine tonight to get some cash for my big cup of accumulated change (yeah yeah I know 9 cents on a dollar whatever).
Anyhow I checked the little "reject" bin and I found some really strange coins in there. Among them, a coin about the size of a Quarter that said "India" on it, one about the size of a nickel that had a camel on the front and said "Republic of Somalia" on the back, and two coins that said Kuwait on them (one roughly quarter sized, one slightly larger than a nickel). I'm not sure where on earth these came from (maybe they were rejects from the last person to use the machine) but then I started thinking, what if someone gives you one of these as change along with regular American coins? Would you notice? It wouldn't be a very profitable scam but you figure if a busy place like a fast food place did it on every transaction it might start to add up (I'm sure the combined value of these coins is probably like 20 cents US). Anyone else ever have this happen? Of course I had a ton of Canadian stuff in there too but that's not out of the ordinary.
Old 08-19-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive had it happen occasionally with Canadian coins. The only time Ive ever gotten really wierd foreign coins was when I worked at a bank. When we would open the coin rolls we took from customers we would sometimes find worthless Peso and crap like that. Although, once I got this little silver coin in a roll of dimes that was worth about $80.
Old 08-19-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a Canadian nickel yesterday when I went to Asia Market and got some sushi. That reminds me, it's in the bottom of my purse. Thought my husband might want it.

I got an Indian Head penny once.
Old 08-19-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My grandpa used to work for the bank, and every once in a while he'd bring home big sacks of coins that got wouldn't go through the change machine. Everything from Pesos, to Canadian Pennies, to Russian coins, to Chuck E. Cheese tokens in there.
Old 08-19-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
er - these have SOME value in the countries in question, yknow... just go visit!
Old 08-19-05, 06:49 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I get Canadian change all the time. I live not far from the Candian border, and a lot of Canadians come down here to shop. Our bank's change sorter won't take anything higher than a penny, but stores will take nickels and dimes at par. I've often wondered if there if there is a valuable scam involved in there somehow, but I'm guessing the stores will look at you funny if you tried to use too much Canadian change at once..
Old 08-19-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like any of the quarter sized coins, because I can get my apartment complex washer and dryers to take them! Very easy with the Canadian quarters, and pretty easy with the plastic toy quarters as well!
Old 08-19-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Seeker
er - these have SOME value in the countries in question, yknow... just go visit!
No kidding. Joe Molotov, I hope your grandpa saved those coins for his next trip to Chuckie Cheesistan.
Old 08-19-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talking about foreign coins reminds me of a story when I was in the Navy and we made a port visit to Japan. We were always interested in seeing what another country's paper bills look like so when the first guy comes back we wanna see what he has.

"It's not good, guys... I only got 4 coins back and one has a hole in it".
Old 08-19-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I get canadian change all the time, but here and canadian coin less than a loonie is easily spent just like American, except for vending machines, and I guess taking rolls of coins to the bank
Old 08-20-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get Canadian coins and later give them out without a problem.
Old 08-20-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My sister received several $1 & $5 silver certificates from the 30's/50's. They are currently in my coin collection. I constantly find wheat pennies - one recently 1936. I also constantly pick out nickels from the 30's and 40's that have the 'mint' mark posted over the dome on the back side of the coin. They have a high content of silver in them and worth a few dollars on up. Yes, I'm a geek and have a coin collection. At least it's a good investment as coins never drop in value.
Old 08-20-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I get canadian change all the time, but here and canadian coin less than a loonie is easily spent just like American, except for vending machines, and I guess taking rolls of coins to the bank
I've found that in New York State, all highway toll booths and some vending machines (I always try!) accept Canadian coins. But with stores, YMMV. Some cashiers get confused, same as if I try to give them a US two dollar bill.
Old 08-20-05, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
same as if I try to give them a US two dollar bill.
You better becareful, a man was arrested when he used AUTHENTIC US$2 bill at a Best Buy in Baltimore.
Old 08-20-05, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ftsoh
You better becareful, a man was arrested when he used AUTHENTIC US$2 bill at a Best Buy in Baltimore.
Or you can get held and interrogated by the secret service like Steve Wozniak:

http://www.woz.org/letters/general/78.html
Old 08-20-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found a whole bag of foreign coins once and I still have 'em!

(Mainly because I can't get rid of them anywhere, but they nearly fill an old mason jar and they look nice on the shelve or whatnot. )
Old 08-20-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Put 'em in a sock and beat some people!
Old 08-20-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't make me laugh! I almost popped my frog eye!
Old 08-20-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
My sister received several $1 & $5 silver certificates from the 30's/50's. They are currently in my coin collection. I constantly find wheat pennies - one recently 1936. I also constantly pick out nickels from the 30's and 40's that have the 'mint' mark posted over the dome on the back side of the coin. They have a high content of silver in them and worth a few dollars on up. Yes, I'm a geek and have a coin collection. At least it's a good investment as coins never drop in value.
Nickels only had silver between 1942 and 46
they were 56% Copper 35% Silver and 9% Manganese
before and after that the Jefferson Nickel was/is 75% Copper 25% Nickel
Old 08-20-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
I've found that in New York State, all highway toll booths and some vending machines (I always try!) accept Canadian coins. But with stores, YMMV. Some cashiers get confused, same as if I try to give them a US two dollar bill.
weird. I've never seen a vending machine that will accept canadian coins
and some of the grocery store chains, and not just here in buffalo next to the border but also in the southern tier near the PA line, have a button that will convert the total to canadian and let canadians pay with canadian cash