Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Traveling lightly for a long time: gadgets to bring?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-17-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you were going to embark on a long adventure, basically with one or 2 small travel bags, heading say accross europe, asia for several months, are there any gadgets that would be must haves?

I am thinking with technology stepping it up, there are probably some gadgets that would take up very little space (space is a premium) and be extremely helpful on the road. perhaps some type of handheld GPS device that also had some type of directory services, hostel information, tourist info, etc etc etc.
Old 08-17-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the ipod is coming.
Old 08-17-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

ipod, laptop. Depending on the GPS you are looking at, you might do better with a PDA with GPS in it.
Old 08-17-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With iPod -- you'll have to have the converters so you can charge it.

I think GPS would work well in Europe, but not so well in parts of Asia -- depending on where in Asia you are talking about.

I'd bring my digital camera and my USB cord so I could upload my pictures from where ever I was. When I went to Japan back in December, I stayed at a hotel that had free internet, and I could have easily sent my pictures back home. Also, depending on what type of camera you have, you may need to bring a converter for that as well.
Old 08-17-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony PSP
Old 08-17-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Condoms, and lots of them.....
Old 08-17-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moorehed
if you were going to embark on a long adventure, basically with one or 2 small travel bags, heading say accross europe, asia for several months, are there any gadgets that would be must haves?

I am thinking with technology stepping it up, there are probably some gadgets that would take up very little space (space is a premium) and be extremely helpful on the road. perhaps some type of handheld GPS device that also had some type of directory services, hostel information, tourist info, etc etc etc.
I would highly recommend a Windows Mobile-powered SmartPhone. Throw in a 512MB or 1GB miniSD card and load it up with movies, music, ebooks and software. I have an Audiovox SMT-5600 and it is the only device I take with me on my cross-country trips. (I leave my notebook PC at home)

It should be possible to buy prepaid SIM cards there for cell providers. If you get your phone "unlocked", you can use it with any cell provider that uses a compatible network and frequency.

Here's my review of the phone: Review - SMT-5600 as a notebook replacement
Old 08-17-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i will probably bring my laptop... i need to get a new digital camera as well. we will probably be traveling for a month or 2, then settling down somewhere for several months. can't bring much of the crap i have accumulated over the last several years
Old 08-17-05, 12:14 PM

Portable Media Player. Holds your videos and music, and you can use it transfer your photos to, freeing up your camera's memory card.
Old 08-17-05, 01:29 PM

Check your electronics, many power supply adaptors are good for 115-240volts, you may need plug adaptors for the different countries, US-United Kingdom-Europe all differ on how they plug into the wall. Some hotels do have the 115v connections in the bathroom for shaver (low wattage), I've used these to recharge gameboys with no problem.
Old 08-17-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Laptop and camera is a MUST.
Old 08-17-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Pocket psusy.