Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Heartbreaker! 3 wives greet man after triple bypass surgery

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-13-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One bypass for each wife. See what marriage does to you.

Briton nabbed on bigamy charges after meeting of spouses in hospital

Updated: 10:42 a.m. ET Aug. 11, 2005
LONDON - Some people bring flowers, others bring balloons. When Melvyn Reed's three wives showed up to visit him at the hospital, they brought an unexpected curtain call to his years as a double bigamist.

British police confirmed that after Melvyn Reed woke from his triple bypass heart operation earlier this year, his complicated marital affairs took a turn for a worse. All three of his spouses had turned up at the same time, despite his efforts to stagger their visits.

Media reports say that, upon realizing that something was amiss, the wives held a meeting in the parking lot, and learned that they were all married to the same man.

The 59-year-old company director from Kettering in central England turned himself into police on May 12 saying he was married to three women at the same time, and confessed to bigamy, an illegal offense in Britain, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

A spokeswoman for the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed that Reed had turned himself in to police in Wimbledon, south London in the presence of his lawyer, and admitted he was a bigamist.

$126 fine

He pleaded guilty to two charges of bigamy on July 19 at the Wimbledon Magistrates' court, and was given a suspended sentence of four months in prison and ordered to pay 70 pounds ($126) in costs, police said.

It wasn't immediately possible to reach Reed or his three wives. A phone call to one of the women went unanswered. Reed's lawyer Laurence Grant was not immediately available at his office for comment.

The Metropolitan Police said Reed married his first wife, Jean Grafton, in 1966, then left her without divorcing her. He went on to marry Denise Harrington in 1998, then married Lyndsey Hutchinson in 2003.

British media have widely reported that Reed recently moved back in with his first wife, Grafton. They say she is the mother of his three grown children.

The Metropolitan Police said Harrington and Hutchinson had sought advice on getting their marriages annulled. But media reports say lawyers have advised the women that their marriages were never valid.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8908170/
Old 08-13-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Moral of the story = Never get married.
Old 08-13-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or just don't get caught.
Old 08-13-05, 11:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

I know a guy that had two families for years. He traveled for his work, so he would just tell each of them that he was working out of town when he wanted to be with the other (or, of course, when he really was working). The two families were in towns about 50 miles apart, which he apparently thought would be far enough that there wouldn't be much chance of either family accidently running into him when he was with the other. If I understand right, he got away with it for over 30 years.

Evidently time caught up with him though. IIRC, a son from one of the families happened to run into him with members of the other family while passing through the town the other family lived in. One of the wives filed for divorce, though I don't know if she legally needed to or not. Either way, she put him out of her life, but he still lives with the other wife and she pretty much pretends that nothing ever happened.
Old 08-13-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I saw a story about that (or a very similar situation) on TV.
Old 08-13-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the 1970s, there were only 5 billionaires in the world. One was John D. MacArthur. When he died in 1978, his two wives learned of each other's existence.

But I can't find any reference to them online.
Old 08-13-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
In the 1970s, there were only 5 billionaires in the world. One was John D. MacArthur. When he died in 1978, his two wives learned of each other's existence.
Really? John D. MacArthur and his wife Catherine established a foundation caleld (not surprisingly) the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation which, among other things, awards the MacArthur Genius Grants, which is basically $100,000 a year for five years with no strings attached. I've never heard anything about a second Mrs. MacArthur, though.
Old 08-13-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Bigamy laws are bullshit. Obviously it's not cool to lie to the women. However, in a situation where theyr'e aware of the situation and...most importanly...you can afford them and the kids you'll no doubt have...I say why the fuck not?

Frankly, you whites should fight for the right to be Bigamists. Based on another thread about states where minorities have become the majority...you guys need to step up your breeding program. That or stop giving into "white flight" so quickly.
Old 08-13-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Really? John D. MacArthur and his wife Catherine established a foundation caleld (not surprisingly) the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation which, among other things, awards the MacArthur Genius Grants, which is basically $100,000 a year for five years with no strings attached. I've never heard anything about a second Mrs. MacArthur, though.
Yeah, I always thought the name of the foundation was pretty funny in that context.

"Funding for this program was provided by the John D. AND CATHERINE T. MacArthur Foundation."
Old 08-13-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

So how soon after did he have another heart attack?
Old 08-13-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why someone would want more than one wife is beyond me...heh
Old 08-13-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminds me of the joke when a man lying on his deathbed confesses everything to his devoted wife, sitting by his side. This includes his numerous adulterous affairs. She whispers back, "I know...I'm the one who poisoned you."