Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bee Sting Question

Old 08-12-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bee Sting Question

I got stung by a bee last weekend at a family gathering. I don't have any allergies (as far as I know). The pain was annoying for a couple of days, but then I promptly forgot about it. Today, I wake up and the swelling has returned and it itches like hell. I don't detect any infection in the area (my middle finger). Any ideas? I'm trying not to scratch it and exacerbate it any further.
Old 08-12-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-12-05, 07:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Old 08-12-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Love it, Tom! I'm not that out of options yet, am I?
Old 08-12-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

benadryl for the itch.

and mittens
Old 08-12-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jippy
Love it, Tom! I'm not that out of options yet, am I?
Hope not. I'm sure someone might be able to help. Maybe check WebMD to see if they have info about your situation.

If not... remember to sterilize the blade, apply a small tourniquet before you start to have at it....and have a lighter handy. Good luck!
Old 08-12-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the swelling went away and then returned, it means the bee was radioactive. You will either die within the next two days or develop super powers.
Old 08-13-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus, don't cut into your finger. Try 25-50 mg of Benadryl.
Old 08-13-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is that after the initial sting and swelling went down, it may have puffed back up again if part of the stinger was/is still embedded in the skin.
Old 08-13-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chug some Benadryl and make a paste from baking soda and put it on the sting area. It should feel better right away. See your doc if it doesn't. Best of luck.
Old 08-13-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oooooh... I totally forgot about the baking soda trick.

I haven't been stung in about 15 years, but I plan on getting stung soon as I go out to erradicate a monster bee colony this week, whose nest I can't directly access. It's "shootin' from the hip, kill what I can time!" Yee haw!

Dark clothing, heavy gloves, jeans and a heavy sweatshirt, leather cowboy hat, 2 cans of bee killer, and a wife standing within shoutin' distance with a hose. Anything more I need to prepare for this adventure?

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 08-13-05 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-13-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least this didn't happen to you: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813/...brf_bee_attack

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Dark clothing, heavy gloves, jeans and a heavy sweatshirt, leather cowboy hat, 2 cans of bee killer, and a wife standing within shoutin' distance with a hose. Anything more I need to prepare for this adventure?
Bees? You're worried about bees? YOU should be on the lookout for killer hippos, my friend.
Old 08-13-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jippy, I get the same reaction when I'm stung by bees, swelling that won't go away with itchiness, had one where I couldn't wear my watch because my wrist was swollen. Ended up going to the doctor where I was given these tiny pills to take, don't remember what they were called. Had to take something like 4 the first day. 3 the second day, then 2 and 1. By then the swelling was gone and I was fine.
Old 08-13-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by criptik28
At least this didn't happen to you: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813/...brf_bee_attack

Yeah, see.... that's what I want to avoid. Maybe I pass on the wife with water and go with a wife holding a phone and 9-1 already dialed in.
Old 08-13-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-13-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MonkeyG
Ended up going to the doctor where I was given these tiny pills to take, don't remember what they were called. Had to take something like 4 the first day. 3 the second day, then 2 and 1. By then the swelling was gone and I was fine.
Possibly prednisone (a steroid). Likely 10 mg tabs, you were on some sort of predisone taper where you'd take 40 mg one day, then 30 mg the next, then 20 mg, then 10 mg.
Old 08-13-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't been stung in about 15 years, but I plan on getting stung soon as I go out to erradicate a monster bee colony this week, whose nest I can't directly access. It's "shootin' from the hip, kill what I can time!" Yee haw!

Pics... or, even better... video!

This could be potentially great thread material. If you have video, be sure to get a shot of yourself being chased around by an angry mob of bees.
Old 08-13-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It layed eggs and its larvea are hatching. Expect a your finger to give birth anyday now...
Old 08-13-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oooooh... I totally forgot about the baking soda trick.

Can I come over and watch?
Old 08-13-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My wife says I can't do it.

She says we have to call a pest control place on Monday. No fun, more expensive...
Old 08-13-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sucks. At least she was worried about you, I guess.
Old 08-13-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But what about OUR fun? Doesn't she care about us?
Old 08-13-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come on man, you've been attacked by hippos but now you're worried over little bees? Tell your wife to give you your jock back and be a man again!!
Old 08-13-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still have some tricks up my sleeve, fear not. She wants new lamps for the living room... which will cost about as much as a bee removal service. I'll let you know how it goes. I might have to get a quote.
Old 08-13-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jippy (and To Whom it May Concern):

Here's something I found after a simple search that may or may not be helpful, but I hope it is (section "F" gives some info about itching):

A. How can I prevent a bee sting?

1. Since bees are attracted to sweet smelling perfumes, you should refrain from wearing any cologne or perfumed product. This list includes hairspray, gel, and body lotions. The bees just love these things.

2. When you see a bee, do not wave your arms and draw attention to yourself.

3. Try to stay away from open dumpsters and trash cans.

4. If you are at an outdoor event, stay away from the food stands as much as possible. (FAT CHANCE! )

5. Do not walk around in your bare feet. (?)

B. Ok, a bee just stung me. What should I do?

1. Pull the stinger out as soon as possible.

2. Go into the kitchen and grab some meat tenderizer. Quickly make a paste with a few drops of water, and rub this mixture onto the bite mark. Leave this paste on the wound for about five minutes.

C. I don't have meat tenderizer! Now what do I do?

1. A good substitute for meat tenderizer is baking soda. Make a mixture in the same manner as explained above. This is not quite as effective as the meat tenderizer, but it has nearly the same effect.

2. If you do not have either of these cooking products, rinse the wound under cool water and apply some type of soothing Aloe Vera lotion or calamine lotion if you have it. This will do wonders for the burning and itching.*

NOTE: Applying these lotions is still a good idea after using the paste mixture also.

D. I am swelling up like a balloon! What can I do?

1. The first thing that you should do is take some Benadryl. This will help to decrease the swelling. If the swelling persists and it is vast, you should seek medical help immediately!

2. If the bee sting begins to swell considerably over a large area, you should go to the emergency room immediately. You could be allergic to bees.

3. If you are allergic to bees or other flying insects like wasps or hornets, you should invest in a bee sting kit with a shot that can be used in these emergencies.

E. Now that my sting is treated, how do I keep it from becoming infected?

You should keep the area clean and allow the air to flow around it. This means do not bandage the wound.

F. How can I stop the itching?

1. Soothe the itching with the tip from above*: calamine lotion, Aloe Vera, or lanolin.

2. Take an oatmeal bath. Just pour a half-cup of oatmeal into your bath. There are also over the counter oatmeal baths that come in individual packs. These are even better because they add Aloe Vera and other soothing agents.
_________

"oatmeal bath". (Hey! You can pretend it's quicksand and have a great time! )

Well, there ya have it!

Hope it helps!

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-13-05 at 05:43 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.