Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Holy s... Something strange in the sky.

Old 08-11-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy s... Something strange in the sky.

Now, I don't really believe in aliens. And I know this is going to sound absolutely bat-shit crazy, but I just saw some sort of object floating in the sky that didn't look like any plane I've seen. It was moving faster, too. Not zooming wicked fast or anything, but definetly faster than a normal plane.

I was outside laying down and staring at the sky because of the annual meteor shower going on. I saw a few streak the sky - just a couple bright white lines. The night it's supposed to be more active is Friday, but you can see them for a few days before and after.

All of a sudden I see this thing that looks like an orange cloud at first. I look closer and it has this design on it:

It was moving in the direction that the crappily-drawn blue arrow is pointing in.

I saw it for maybe five seconds, then it passed over my house. I ran back and saw it continuing in the same direction. Then it was out of my view. So, I started immediately scanning the sky trying to figure out what the Hell it was or if I could see it again.

Then coming from a completely different direction I saw this pattern:

Again, heading in the direction of the blue arrow.

As it moved the dots got closer together like this:

I know... it looks like something from an Atari game.

Whatever it is, it was obviously multiple things, not just one object with lights on it.

I really, really don't believe in aliens or anything like that. But I know what I saw wasn't exactly normal.

I guess what I want to know is if there is a plane or group of planes that move like that. Or if there's anything from the ground, like a light show, that could project an image like that on the sky. The dots were an orange color.

I know it sound really fucking crazy. And I'm not one of those crackpots who even believes in this stuff. So please tell me there's some logical explanation for this.
Old 08-11-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Sounds to me like it's past someone's beddy-bye time.

Seriously...I wouldn't worry about it too much, until the time when several tall gentlemen in black suits show up at your door and tell you sternly, "You saw...no...lights."
Old 08-11-05, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it's not past my bedtime. I only got an hour of sleep last night and had to wake up at 7:00am to go to the physical therapist's for my back. I ended up staying awake until 4:00pm. I just woke up at around 10:00pm and I'm not really tired.

It's not that I'm worried about anything. More confused than anything. Like I said, I don't believe in this shit... but I saw something definetly abnormal up there.

Oh, and the Atari game I was thinking of was "Demon Attack."

I'd actually like to call and report this somewhere, but so far the 1-800 numbers I found were either defunct or required you to leave a message. I left a message at one, gave them my latitude and longitude, but I had such a hard time explaining it while acknowledging how crazy it sounds that they'll probably disregard it. I also explained that I am hesitant about giving them my real address or name because I don't want to be labeled a crackpot.

Is there anywhere I can anonymously report stuff like this for Northern California? But actually verbally talk to someone to make sure they understand what I'm saying.
Old 08-11-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmmm... I think the answer is obvious. Exactly how much crack did you smoke?
Old 08-11-05, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I believe you WhoGirl. Seriously. Chances are It's probably nothing "alien" but who knows? Anyway, It could also be advanced U.S. military planes. Look, people see shit all the time. Just because some folks don't believe in sightings that doesn't make them any less real.

BTW, be strong. You'll need too against the tide of dvdtalk smartasses about to post here...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-11-05 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-11-05, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
[watches robo mackin' on Who for a bit]

Originally Posted by WhoGirl
...Northern California...
I see.

J/K!

Here is an online report form:

http://www.alienobserver.com/uforeportform.html
Old 08-11-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn_that's a detailed report...!

Old 08-11-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Were you on an acid trip at the time??

Wait a second... Are you that dude that draws his dreams to predict the future!? Those drawlings look awfully familiar!
Old 08-11-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I believe you WhoGirl. Seriously. Chances are It's probably nothing "alien" but who knows? Anyway, It could also be advanced U.S. military planes. Look, people see shit all the time. Just because some folks don't believe in sightings that doesn't make them any less real.

BTW, be strong. You'll need too against the tide of dvdtalk smartasses about to post here...
Thank you! And I expected a bunch of wise ass remarks. No big deal. I've dealt with worse.

I highly doubt I saw anything alien. Just a UFO by the strictest definition: An Unidentified Flying Object. Or five or six, as it looks like.

I just want to know what logical explanation there is for what I saw. That's why I included the drawings. Maybe somebody knows of some planes that fly like that, or a light show machine that looks like that.

Thanks for the link, Mike! Damn, it's got a lot of info to fill in. But I'm doing it.

Last edited by WhoGirl; 08-11-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-11-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe you saw what you say you saw (say that 10x real fast). But I'm sure there is some explanation that would counter other-world spacecrafts.

What I wouldn't believe is if you start talking about how your butt hurts.
Old 08-11-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This one time when my wife and I were in the park... We were laying down looking at the stars and seen some whacky stuff! The stars were moving!

Not like shooting stars but actually MOVING.. We could see some pass others so we know it wasn't like an "illusion" or eye tricks.. The cool thing was BOTH of us saw this!
Old 08-11-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who - I think you should take the pillow off your head and replace it with foil.

Now what do you see?

Seriously, not sure what you saw but years ago I was involved with testing cruise missiles and there were times we'd have to fly one inland. It would be followed by 2 chase planes. Since it would fly close to the ground and would do some manuevers, the local police would get a few UFO reports.

Did you notice any sounds as it passed over the house?
Old 08-11-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tbird2340
This one time when my wife and I were in the park... We were laying down looking at the stars and seen some whacky stuff! The stars were moving!

Not like shooting stars but actually MOVING.. We could see some pass others so we know it wasn't like an "illusion" or eye tricks.. The cool thing was BOTH of us saw this!
Could it have been satellites? The first time I saw a satellite moving across the sky I could hardly believe my eyes. I didn't know at the time you could see them.
Old 08-11-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

:nopics:
Old 08-11-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Could be a group of helicopters.
Old 08-11-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like Venus.
Old 08-11-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the problems with looking into the night sky is that there is no reference for perspective. You see a light moving, and have no way to know if it is a large object far away, or a small object close up.

One thing you may have been seeing is birds reflecting orange streetlights from nearby. Or, if this was just a little after sunset, they may have been high enough to be catching the last rays of sun. The breasts of birds are usually rather oily, and can be surprisingly reflective.

I once nearly got mobbed by UFOites for identifying their darting lights as bats. I think they were really so angry because, once I pointed it out, they could see it was bats as well, and I had spoiled their delusion.

I thought bats were really cool! But, they wouldn't settle for anything less than aliens. *sigh*
Old 08-11-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Something sounds suspishy.

Suspishy = Fishy + Suspicious
Old 08-11-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

As part of the U.S. Federal investigation team of UFO's, I regret to inform you that all you saw was a weather balloons.
Old 08-11-05, 09:05 AM
Admin-Thanos

Time to get off the sauce Who.

Seriously who knows what it could be. If something was at altitude, you wouldn't be able to hear its engines, so you can't rule out something terrestrial.
Old 08-11-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Sounds like Venus.

More like Klingons circling Uranus.

Sorry - couldn't resist.
Old 08-11-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
That's unrelated.

The oily bird explanation sounds plausible.
Old 08-11-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'd believe her. Of course we all know that it had nothing to do with aliens...
Old 08-11-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's very cool, Who. I don't believe in life outside of earth so I have to go with military jets or other aircraft but that's really cool that you saw that. Next time, have your camera ready so you can take lots of pictures to post here!
Old 08-11-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.