Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: have you ever heard of "safety / doorknob"?
yes ive heard of it.
21
28.38%
yes i practice it.
9
12.16%
no i have never heard of such a thing.
43
58.11%
twikoff farted!!!!
1
1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

Old 07-24-05, 10:43 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Look, if someone starts beating you senseless and tells you that you need to touch a doorknob to stop it, you FIND that doorknob and you darn well TOUCH it. Don't ask questions, just do as your told and the beating stops, ya hear?

<font size=1>Of course, if someone hits me in the shoulder in a game like this, I just flat-out hit them back.... I don't play these games.</font>


Slug-bug WHITE


*Punches Thor in the arm*







*runs out of thread*
Old 07-25-05, 12:27 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Posts: 4,590
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Doorknobs fit into lots of places.



Pics?
Old 07-25-05, 01:48 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,504
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow. Yes, I remember this. I was conditioned in high school and college to always say "safety" immediately after farting.
Old 07-25-05, 02:47 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,227
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In or around my last year of college down at University of Illinois, a group of "respectable" friends and acquaintances (meaning those that were not potheads, budding alcoholics or dropouts, who happened to live exclusively in Urbana) introduced this stupid game to me.

However, not once was it ever mentioned that failure to utter 'safety' and the ensuing 'doorknob' would result in pummelling. As such, I never saw any incentive to qualify my farts. Others would say 'doorknob' but there would be no repercussions so I would just laugh at them and call them and the game idiotic.

Besides, any attempt to pummel me would have been met with severe and undue retaliation.
Old 07-25-05, 02:50 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,190
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts


I remember this game well. Similar to the one where if you get some fool to look at your thumb and finker making a circle, under the waist, you can slug them.
Old 07-25-05, 02:55 PM
  #31  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 35,678
Received 355 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
<font size=1>Of course, if someone hits me in the shoulder in a game like this, I just flat-out hit them back.... I don't play these games.</font>
Exactly. If someone hits me after I fart, I'll knock them nearly unconscious and then fart in their face.
Old 07-25-05, 03:10 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
RaMMaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Underfoot...
Posts: 4,260
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
... If someone hits me after I fart, I'll knock them nearly unconscious and then fart in their face.
... and thus, a fetish is born.
Old 07-25-05, 03:12 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,272
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Definitely punchbuggy. And of course the intricate rules for calling Shotgun [we had them typed out and everyone had a copy].
Never did this one. Our keyword was usually "Why'd you fart?" while looking at anyone else.
Old 07-25-05, 03:23 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,190
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have checked with my peeps, and we didn't say "safety." We said, "Vince" Not sure why.

Last edited by kvrdave; 07-25-05 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 12:53 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,504
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Definitely punchbuggy. And of course the intricate rules for calling Shotgun [we had them typed out and everyone had a copy].
Never did this one. Our keyword was usually "Why'd you fart?" while looking at anyone else.
Intricate? I'm intrigued. I believe ours were "must be outdoors and call it first". Don't think you had to be in view of the vehicle. Draven, help me out here.
Old 07-26-05, 01:05 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 6,814
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
We practiced it in my dorms... six of us would be in a dorm room playing sega cd and all of a sudden someone would quizzically ask "doorknob?" We'd all look at each other, and the SBD culprit would slowly make a move for the door. Ensue beatdown.
Old 07-26-05, 01:13 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 6,814
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sundog
In or around my last year of college down at University of Illinois, a group of "respectable" friends and acquaintances (meaning those that were not potheads, budding alcoholics or dropouts, who happened to live exclusively in Urbana) introduced this stupid game to me.

However, not once was it ever mentioned that failure to utter 'safety' and the ensuing 'doorknob' would result in pummelling. As such, I never saw any incentive to qualify my farts. Others would say 'doorknob' but there would be no repercussions so I would just laugh at them and call them and the game idiotic.

Besides, any attempt to pummel me would have been met with severe and undue retaliation.
Having posted before seeing sundog's post, I guess I was part of that group of "respectable" friends. By the time we had gotten out of the dorms and into the apartments, the game had evolved to the point where there were no longer beatdowns, but to win the game was to obtain bragging rights of being first to point out the realization that someone had farted before the farter recalls existence of said game.

Last edited by rabbit77; 07-26-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 01:22 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,272
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
Intricate? I'm intrigued. I believe ours were "must be outdoors and call it first". Don't think you had to be in view of the vehicle. Draven, help me out here.
I don't remember all of them, but it was easily a full page typed [of course, it was in 'legalspeak': "Whereas the below parties are agreed to the nomenclature herewith referenced..." blablabla.]

A couple of them were:

first, basics: definition of shotgun, and definition of 'day' [midnight to midnight, based on the clock of the car you're in];

and some of the rules:

* girlfriends [or girl you're hitting on] always got shotgun without having to call it [of course, this one didn't come into play real often]; [an unwritten addendumto this was when this rule applied, don't mention the other shotgun rules, we don't want to look even geekier than we already did];
* engine had to be off in order to call shotgun for the next trip; shotgun resets every time the car is purposefully stopped [we had to add "purposefully" because before we did, some people would take advantage of a car stalling or whatnot];
* going into a building/house resets shotgun, and it needs to be re-called;
* when leaving a building, everyone had to be outside, but the building door did not have to be shut, before shotgun can be called;
* shotgun recipient has radio and navigator duties, with input from backseat, but driver always has veto power;
* if more than two people were in the car, the same person couldn't get shotgun more than three or five [I forget which] times in a row in one day, unless the non-shotgunners yield this rule.
* if today was someone's birthday, that person could have shotgun all day, overriding any of the above rules [except radio/nav duty, and girl-priority], unless he yields this rule and opens shotgun up for calling. However, at any time after yielding, he could announce his revokation of the yield and resume shotgun.

I'm sure there were more, but that's all I can remember now. It'd be neat to find that document. It was typed on an actual typewriter and photocopied by my mom at her school, so there's not likely to be any archive of it.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 07-26-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 04:21 PM
  #39  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's new to me.
Old 07-26-05, 04:29 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 39,743
Received 773 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
Intricate? I'm intrigued. I believe ours were "must be outdoors and call it first". Don't think you had to be in view of the vehicle. Draven, help me out here.
I think we did have an "in sight of the car" caveat, but yeah, pretty simple
Old 07-27-05, 09:48 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,504
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I don't remember all of them, but it was easily a full page typed [of course, it was in 'legalspeak': "Whereas the below parties are agreed to the nomenclature herewith referenced..." blablabla.]

A couple of them were:

first, basics: definition of shotgun, and definition of 'day' [midnight to midnight, based on the clock of the car you're in];

and some of the rules:

* girlfriends [or girl you're hitting on] always got shotgun without having to call it [of course, this one didn't come into play real often]; [an unwritten addendumto this was when this rule applied, don't mention the other shotgun rules, we don't want to look even geekier than we already did];
* engine had to be off in order to call shotgun for the next trip; shotgun resets every time the car is purposefully stopped [we had to add "purposefully" because before we did, some people would take advantage of a car stalling or whatnot];
* going into a building/house resets shotgun, and it needs to be re-called;
* when leaving a building, everyone had to be outside, but the building door did not have to be shut, before shotgun can be called;
* shotgun recipient has radio and navigator duties, with input from backseat, but driver always has veto power;
* if more than two people were in the car, the same person couldn't get shotgun more than three or five [I forget which] times in a row in one day, unless the non-shotgunners yield this rule.
* if today was someone's birthday, that person could have shotgun all day, overriding any of the above rules [except radio/nav duty, and girl-priority], unless he yields this rule and opens shotgun up for calling. However, at any time after yielding, he could announce his revokation of the yield and resume shotgun.

I'm sure there were more, but that's all I can remember now. It'd be neat to find that document. It was typed on an actual typewriter and photocopied by my mom at her school, so there's not likely to be any archive of it.
Heh. Too funny. We didn't put nearly as much thought into it. And I think girlfriends were subject to the same rules. Hmm...I wonder if that explains the lack thereof in high school? Ah well...

Originally Posted by Draven
I think we did have an "in sight of the car" caveat, but yeah, pretty simple
Are you sure? I thought it was just an "outside" rule, but you could be right.
Old 07-28-05, 12:13 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Posts: 4,590
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave


I remember this game well. Similar to the one where if you get some fool to look at your thumb and finker making a circle, under the waist, you can slug them.
How do you get your finker to make a circle?


FREAK!!



Old 07-28-05, 08:03 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 376
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave


I remember this game well. Similar to the one where if you get some fool to look at your thumb and finker making a circle, under the waist, you can slug them.
my son and i play this as well...
Old 08-13-05, 06:03 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,466
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
saw this stupid gif somewhere and wanted to post it in a thread related to farting - so I'm sticking it here. Here's me wasting everyone's time including my own... except for some grandma in SLC.

Old 08-11-13, 05:11 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Clifton, NJ USA
Posts: 964
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

OP here. My sister just alerted me to the fact that they are participating in this on here comes honey boo boo.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3682751

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 08-11-13 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 06:06 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,009
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

I always thought you NJ people were weird and now it's been confirmed. First of all, we don't fart. Second, if we do, it doesn't make noise. Third, if it makes a noise it smells like roses so we just say thank you.
Old 08-11-13, 07:14 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
danwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 2,101
Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

Never heard of such a thing and happy that it was not used in my section of the country (West-Central Michigan).
Old 08-11-13, 09:16 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,067
Received 291 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

I remember this from Iowa in the early 90s.
Old 08-11-13, 09:52 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

did it when I was a kid.
Old 08-11-13, 10:25 PM
  #50  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,196
Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts
Re: Have you ever heard of the "safety / doorknob" concept????

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post


I remember this game well. Similar to the one where if you get some fool to look at your thumb and finker making a circle, under the waist, you can slug them.
Yep, I was introduced to both games in college and still say 'safety' when I fart, even when alone, it's instinctual now.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.