Reload this Page >

Who is your most obnoxious neighbor?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-21-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts

Because of the strange shape of our lot, we have five neighbors. One is a sweet old couple. A second set up a pool in the back yard and has the grandkids over. There must be a dozen different kids, and they're all well behaved. They scream and play and everything is cool. The third has teenagers, so the girls have their boyfriends driving around all day and night, and the boy practices his drums for an hour a day. No big deal. The fourth guy I never see at all.

Ah, but the fifth neighbor. He has parties until 2 in the morning with the stereo cranked up. Naturally, they're on the same side of the house as the bedroom.

He has a yappy dog. Yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap.

His kid screams. He has a powerful set of lungs, and we can hear him inside with the windows closed. He screams loud as he can, for an hour at a time, while playing with his toys. Yesterday, he was teaching another kid to do it. The worst of it is that he doesn't make normal happy playful screams, he makes "I'm in danger!" screams, the kind that make you want to drop whatever you're doing and go rescue him.

Finally, this guy vacuums his yard. Every day. Morning and night. You can hear his shop vac from a block away. 20 minutes every morning. 20 minutes every evening. More in the fall when he's vacuuming up the leaves.

Sometimes the kid stops making Danger! screams and imitates the vacuum for half an hour or so.

I've lived next door to career criminals who were better neighbors.

Who's your worst neighbor?

Last edited by Nick Danger; 06-21-05 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beat this neighbor. They finally left about 3 months ago, the locks were changed, and it is now on the market. They must have trashed it pretty well since it is going for 75% the rest of the neighborhood.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 06-21-05 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy across the street who:

* Spreads manure on his lawn 3-4x a year as "fertilizer" despite making the yard look like total shit

* Build stuff from wood in his garage constantly but you never see a finished product

* Has teenagers who started a band that is 1 part alternative, 1 part garage band, and 100 parts suck. Naturally, they practice with the window open so the neighborhood can hear their garbage.
Old 06-21-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guy next door:
Screams loudly at his gf.
Bawls loudly like a baby sometimes when they fight.
Shot by the SWAT team twice when he holed himself up inside the house with a bat and a knife... 6 months later the asshole is back.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382783

The funniest moment with him that happened with my roommate. My roommate just had knee surgery, on crutches, hobbles past the dude and out of the blue he called my roommate a *****. My roommate said to him, 'the way we all hear you bawl loudly evrey day i wonder how you could call anyone that'

That was our only encounter with him, but yeah the cops are there pretty often.

Last edited by schlitz100; 06-21-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My upstairs neighbors are really nice peopel and I love living near them, except they are the loudest walkers you could ever hope to hear. Now, I've lived below plenty of people in my life and usually, it's no big deal, but for whatever reason, every time my current upstairs neighbors move, it's "STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP." They have three kids, too, and the kids are just as loud. I swear, sometimes I think they are bodyslamming their kids for all the noise they make.

And it's not the construction of the building, either, since the neighbors go overseas every summer. When they are overseas, they have various friends and relatives stay in their place and none of those guests ever make anywhere near as much noise.

Oh well ... like I said, they are great people, so I guess I can't complain too much.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am very thankful that we've got good neighbors. Our cul-de-sac is very quiet, and we get along very well. Our only real issue is that our back yard borders an elementary school. If either of us is home sick during the day while school is in session, its tough to sleep with all the screaming kids running around during recess. Not a big deal, though, and school is currently out.
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, where I currently live, the next door neighbor is an old guy with a chip on his shoulder and hates all "whites and the gays & lesbians moving into the neighborhood making the property values and taxes go up". Sorry about your luck pal, I'll be sure the crackhouse owners and thugs send you their best in the way of a drive-by. What an idiot. A neighbor behind us bought a bloodhound and keeps it chained to the fence 24 hours a day, never lets it in the house, so of course it howls all night long every night. The best neighbors though have to be next to the house I'm renovating. They are vacant duplexes owned by the bank, but somehow a bunch of crack-whores found their way into them, and their pimps too. That should prove interesting should we choose to live there once the house is done... On the next white boy,crack-whore wars.... WWRD?
Old 06-21-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 335 Likes on 242 Posts
I have 4 neighbors. Looking at the house, one on each side, then the way the street angles around makes for two more backyards butting up to mine.

Direct neighbor to the right wins.

*Leaves the trash can at the curb 7 days a week, doesn't take it to the side/back of the house. If that isn't lazy enough, they sit their kitchen garbage on the front porch and it will sit there a day before anyone takes it out to the trash can.

*Has a huge driveway that could easily hold 5 cars yet since they only use the front door(i.e. lazy), they park 2 cars at the end of the driveway and one on the street. Depending on the time of day this prevents the mailman from delivering our mail.

*Only mows the grass once every 2-3 weeks. Weed & dadilion infested. I keep on top of mine, as well as every other house on our court, but theirs looks like trash. I spend $25 every 6 weeks for someone to treat the yard. Not terribly expensive. Cheap asses.

*Never weed eats the back yard. There is a chain link seperating us and you can imagine what it looks like. If I'm in the mood I hold my weed eater over the fence and do their side just because it looks like shit.

*Keeps their new puppy chained(sometimes) to a tree in the front yard all day. It shits in the yard and they don't clean it up. Nice, being the front and all. Neeless to say that the days I see the dog unchained are the same days I find dog shit in my meticulously kept yard. My wife actually flung it into their yard a couple of times. Take that!

Fuckin' rednecks. I wish they would move, but they just put a swimming pool in last year, so I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
Old 06-21-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that might be me.

I blast my movies and have a dog that barks at every little thing that moves. Granted, that's all within my house, so maybe people don't hear it at all.

The neighbors behind me and the ones across the street are old, I don't hear much from them. To the north are a family with a pool, but it's completely fenced in: I never see them.

The house to the south is a rental property that has been empty for 2 years. The owner comes over at least once a week for upkeep. I have no idea why he's letting it sit unused. Before the renters moved out, they were my most annoying neighbors: screaming at each other, teenagers playing loud music as well as the same stuff thumping from the speakers of their Neon.
Old 06-21-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
A second set up a pool in the back yard and has the grandkids over. They scream and play.
I have it pretty good, because this is my worst neighbor. It's only annoying because they play really bad music when they're out there (which causes me to turn mine up) and the little girl is really shreaky.

Still, it's really quiet in my neighborhood. That's a big reason we moved there.
Old 06-21-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

THE LANDLORD!!! &

(...actually, he doesn't live anywhere close by and we really don't have any. )
Old 06-21-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My next door neighbor lets his two large dogs run loose. Into our yard.

Other than that the rest of our neighbors are pretty good.
Old 06-21-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Wow, guess I'm lucky, I rent a mother-in-law apartment in a residential neighborhood and have the best neighbors I've ever had... EXCEPT for the guy down the short wooded hillside behind us, who sometimes leaves his dog outside for the day, where it barks, and barks, and barks... forget trying to sleep in around here, unless you 1)keep the windows closed, and 2)have music or a sound machine going.

Still, given that my landlord is ten feet away, and is the nicest family you can imagine (they're so cool that I volunteer to babysit their kids, just because they're nice kids), I'm pretty lucky! Sorry for all of you, though!
Old 06-21-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live near a busy intersection with a long red light stop, so my worst neighbours are those stupid jerks who blast last year's Eminem hit from their cheap-ass standard-equipped Honda Civic while they wait for the light to change.

Idiots.
Old 06-21-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the most annoying have moved out of my apt complex:

1) Large family (I think we only have 2 bd apts) -- the four years old girl and 2 year old boy often played in the complex unsupervised and would knock on people's doors and ask if people had candy or a kitty. -- Yeah, I hated their mother. The kids were annoying too -- they'd always play by our apartment (even though theirs is on the other side of the building) and were loud. I think they just moved

2) The lady we referred to as "crazy lady" who was probably on meth most of the time moved out several months ago. She'd try talking to everybody and she was always complaining about something. She'd play music really loud at 2am with her door open.

3) Next door neighbors -- still here. When we first moved here they'd fight all the time. We called the cops once because it was so bad our apartment was shaking. The teen son is really loud and into WWE. I think him and his friends practice moves on each other -- and I think they were playing DDR for awhile -- and he's a big guy, so our apt usually shook. They seem like nice people, but just loud.

4) Our upstairs neighbors aren't that annoying, except they always sound like they're moving/rearranging furniture at 2am in the morning.

We also have a guy with OCD on the other side of us who locks his door about 5 times before leaving.
Old 06-21-05, 04:50 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

At my apartment we have garages. One neighbor decided to put these big offroad lights on the top of his Jeep, so it won't fit in his garage anymore. So instead he parks his Jeep in front of his garage door. A few people do this, and it's annoying enough, because the road between the rows of garages is pretty narrow, just enough for two cars to pass each other. So when these jokers park in front of their garages you have to weave and make hard right turns to get into your garage.

But my bigger problem with this comes because he actually parked his damn Jeep directly in front of MY garage door. Luckily he did this while I was out, so my inconvenience was merely having to park my car down the street (annoying enough, but not as annoying as it would've been to have my car trapped in there).

When I finally figured out who the guy was, I went to his apartment to tell him the problem. He acted like I was inconveniencing him, and mumbled about how he "thought he had parked in front of the right garage". Well, his garage is two doors down from mine, plus his garage is at the end of the row. So only a complete f'ing idiot could make that "mistake". I finally got him to move it, but if it ever happens again I'll just have him towed.
Old 06-21-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My upstairs neighbor is the worst. He apparently doesn't own a phone and apparently none of his friends who visit own cell phones because all they do when they want to come into the building is scream his name at the top of their lungs until he walks out onto the balcony to throw them keys.

And for a while I thought he was moving furniture around constantly, since it sounded like things were being dropped too; large heavy things. This once went on for an entire evening until I finally went upstairs to find out what was going on. He answered the door without a shirt and completely sweaty, with 4 or 5 of his phone-less friends sitting on the couch. I asked him what was going on because it sounded like my ceiling was going to collapse. He told me, no joke, they were "practicing wrestling moves." I asked him to please keep it down, and he was nice about it. But I went to the manager to complain about that and the 4AM screaming for keys, and apparently other tenants had been complaining too. I hope he gets booted soon.
Old 06-21-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm about to move into my first house and you people are freaking me out.
Old 06-21-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 335 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by automator
I'm about to move into my first house and you people are freaking me out.
Drive around the house at different times and different days to see what goes on before you do. It is a smart thing to do.
Old 06-21-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy who smokes a lot of cigarettes ... stinks up the hallway.
Old 06-21-05, 05:24 PM

Everyone with noisy neighbors needs to check your local laws. Here in Vegas, no matter what time of day, people cannot be a nuisance with their music, drum playing, etc.

Had two houses in my neighborhood that thought it was going to be American Bandstand redux in their garages. Besides the fact that it's inconsiderate to play your drums at 1am (asshole people), it's against our association rules and against the law. After our weak association doing nothing to stop this, I called 411 one day (it's our non-emergency number here) and asked what the time cutoff was that loud music, etc was creating a public nuisance. I was thrilled to be told that anytime of the day it's conidered a nuisance.

So everytime these a-holes started in with their music, I called the police. After the 4th call on one house, I told the officers I wanted to press charges (misdemeanor offense they would be cited for). After the police talked to my neighbors letting them know they would be cited, they came back and told me they promised to never do it again and to please not press charges. I told the police to let them know this was this last time doing this shit.

Eight months later I haven't heard a peep from them.

Sure I felt kinda like the grouchy old neighbor calling the police on both of them a few times..but you know what..I didn't pay good money to live in a nice area...and pay association fees...only to hear drums every other night.

My other neighbor I have called the police on, I saw one of them at the mailbox one day and she told me "wow someone has been calling the police on us lately"...I replied "well...shouldn't that send you a message you are pissing off your neighbors?" They've been silent since their last police visit too.
Old 06-21-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My one neighbor is apparently the asshole of the townhome complex. He is a lazy bastard...he never mows his lawn, although he has 2 lawnmowers sitting there in the yard along with laundry basket and one lawn chair on its side in the middle of this jungle of a lawn. The front isn't much better. I can always hear him yelling at his mannish looking wife next door. One of the most memorable quotes from him is "I am the man...you walk behind me!!!" In addition this genius decides to fucking gut and hose out a deer right infront of his house....and his mannish wife likes to park 2 inches from my car.
Old 06-21-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my apartment complex, I've had two neighbors in the past that were so loud and so loud late at night in to the morning hours, that they got evicted. And I don't know what meth smells like, but I smelled some damn strange stuff coming from the downstairs apartment.

I recently had some neighbors who were loud, annoying, and ghetto. They never played music loud, except for maybe a couple times, and it was just long enough for one song, but they would fight like I've heard people fight before, and I came from a home where my parents fought all the time. I think the guy beat the woman, though, which is just not cool, but I think she fed into that also. She kicked him out at one point, and he came back mad as hell one time threatening to not only beat her but her kid as well, and I immediately called the police, but his ass was gone by the time they got there, and she had some other guy living with her at that point. The bad thing was the guy she kicked out was the one who was paying the rent and on the lease with her!

She stayed kind of quiet for a while after that. But then one day I heard her fighting with her new man, and he was yelling at her because he found out she was going behind his back and sleeping with the guy she had kicked out.

More recently, I have never seen anybody in their apartment. There was a letter on their door shortly after rent was due and they usually leave that when you don't pay your rent and you owe money. Somebody from the complex came back and took the letter back. I have no idea what is going on. I just wonder if that guy didn't beat the piss out of her or something.
Old 06-21-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know somebody that posts here that lived above a dead person for a while. It was annoying when he got huge ass houseflys in his condo.
Old 06-21-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Far too many to even list. Sad thing is they think everything is just fine.

Very clear to me why the human race is doomed as a species.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 06-21-05 at 09:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.