Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Alabama Girl Kidnapped or Runs away in Aruba... You pick...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Alabama Girl Kidnapped or Runs away in Aruba... You pick...

Old 06-04-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alabama Girl Kidnapped and Killed in Aruba

Missing-Girl Case Focuses on Three Men

By MICHAEL NORTON, Associated Press Writer

Three men who said they dropped off an Alabama teenager at her hotel have emerged as "the most important lead" in the honor student's disappearance on this Dutch Caribbean island, police said Saturday.

Police, Dutch troops and hundreds of volunteers scouring coastline and beaches for six days have found no trace of Natalee Holloway, 18.

Deputy police chief Gerold Dompig said authorities were investigating the background and story of two Surinamese men and a native of the Netherlands who said they dropped her off at the Holiday Inn before dawn Monday.

Dompig declined to call the men suspects, saying they were "persons of interest," but said the men were "the most important lead."

"We are working diligently," Dompig said. "I want everybody to hold their breaths for the next 24 hours. There will be developments after this weekend."

An official close to the investigation said the three men legal Aruban residents between the ages of 18 and 25 told police they had taken Holloway to a beach at the northwestern tip of Aruba before dropping her off at the hotel.

But her uncle, Paul Reynolds, said he was told security cameras did not show Holloway returning to the hotel that night. Police declined to comment on that report.

Holloway was on a five-day excursion with 124 seniors and several chaperones from Mountain Brook High School, near Birmingham, Ala. She spent the last night of her vacation eating and dancing at Carlos 'N Charlie's bar and restaurant.

She didn't show up for her return flight, and police found her passport in her hotel room with her packed bags.

"Natalee's bags were packed and she's ready to go home," her mother, Beth Holloway Twitty, told a news conference. "Please help bring her home."

Holloway, a straight-A student, had earned a full scholarship at the University of Alabama and planned to study premed, Reynolds said. He described his niece as a levelheaded girl who would not have done anything rash, although he also said she had an almost childlike side, too.

"Natalee's naive. She hasn't dated a lot. She doesn't party a lot," said Reynolds. Holloway attends church regularly and wouldn't ever run away, he said.

In the Mountain Brook yearbook, Holloway's senior quote came from the old Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Freebird." It says: "If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me? For I must be traveling on now, there's too many places I haven't seen."

In Mountain Brook, Ala., dozens of Holloway's friends and classmates attended an afternoon prayer vigil Saturday. "The entire community is very concerned and very much in prayer," said the city manager, Sam Gaston.

Ten more FBI agents joined the search Saturday for the girl, Attorney General Caren Janssen said. "We need more technical assistance," she said, declining to elaborate.
It was nice of this girl to disappear to give CNN and Fox something to get them through the normally boring weekend news cycle until the Jacko case picks up again.

My thoughts, what kind of stupid parents let their high school age child (albeit 18) go away to a foreign country to party by themselves and friends? This just reeks of poor parenting.

Last edited by NitroJMS; 06-11-05 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-04-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
I dunno. A lot of teens go to Aruba. If I was a parent, she's 18 and mature enough to make her own decisions. We have just as many teens go missing here in the US. It doesn't sound good in this case though.
Old 06-05-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 211 Likes on 141 Posts
My sister and a bunch of her friends went on a Eurpean trip w/ they graduated high school My parents are neither stupid or poor parents.
Old 06-05-05, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
My parents are [not] stupid

You're sure of that?
Old 06-05-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I found her

in my bed

I wish
Old 06-05-05, 01:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
I found her

in my bed

I wish

Old 06-05-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seniors go on trips all the time!! It's just what they do.

This story is just so sad. I hope they find her alive and well, but I doubt that's going to happen.
Old 06-05-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS

My thoughts, what kind of stupid parents let their high school age child (albeit 18) go away to a foreign country to party by themselves and friends? This just reeks of poor parenting.

Mine. I went off to Japan for a year when I was a month shy of 18. Eighteen year olds are almost grown--gotta let them go sometime.

I hope they find her soon.
Old 06-05-05, 02:10 AM

It was nice of this girl to disappear to give CNN and Fox something to get them through the normally boring weekend news cycle until the Jacko case picks up again.

From the story...
"Holloway was on a five-day excursion with 124 seniors and several chaperones from Mountain Brook High School, near Birmingham, Ala."

so it looks like someone was supposed to be looking out for the kids.
Story on AP or reuters said the chaperones flew down on a private jet.
Old 06-05-05, 02:16 AM
Mod Emeritus

I read 40 chaperones.
Old 06-05-05, 02:25 AM

Thursday USAToday story says it was a parent organized trip.
Old 06-05-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the Mountain Brook yearbook, Holloway's senior quote came from the old Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Freebird." It says: "If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me? For I must be traveling on now, there's too many places I haven't seen."
She's such a good student that she corrected the "places I've got to see" line.
Old 06-05-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tasha99
Mine. I went off to Japan for a year when I was a month shy of 18. Eighteen year olds are almost grown--gotta let them go sometime.
Isn't Japan one of the safest countries in the world?
Old 06-05-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, I think we can safely discount the whole "runs away in Aruba" angle. She doesn't have her passport... and it sounds like she has a pretty good life back in the States.

I hate that this happened... but I really don't think it's national news. Unfortunately, people get kidnapped and killed almost every day. This girl is young, blonde and cute, though, so we'll be hearing this story every ten to fifteen minutes on CNN for the rest of the summer.
Old 06-05-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree the 'ran away' theory is unlikely, but on the other hand think about the run away bride case. Before she was found everyone thought she was a lilly white, stable, virgin bride about to marry the man of her dreams, then afterwards a ton of dirt came out. But I still have to think she is the exception to the rule.
Old 06-05-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Latest news is that they arrested two security guards that were overseeing a nearby hotel that was closed for the time being.

NitroJMS, just curious if you still think the parents did a poor job after reading all of this? These trips happen all of the time and if my 18-year-old was responsible and there were all of these chaperones I'm pretty sure I'd let him/her go.
Old 06-05-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Only a matter of time before they tell where the body is.
Old 06-05-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
Yeah, I think she's dead already.
Old 06-05-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Paging Jennifer Wilbanks...
Old 06-05-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still waiting for the around-the-clock news coverage of some ugly, fat girl who disappears.
Old 06-05-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Latest news is that they arrested two security guards that were overseeing a nearby hotel that was closed for the time being.

NitroJMS, just curious if you still think the parents did a poor job after reading all of this? These trips happen all of the time and if my 18-year-old was responsible and there were all of these chaperones I'm pretty sure I'd let him/her go.
They did have a few chaperones, but I know when my high school did Europe or Canada trips, we'd have a pretty good ratio of teachers to students, such as 10 to 1, so someone would always know where you were.
Old 06-05-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'm still waiting for the around-the-clock news coverage of some ugly, fat girl who disappears.
Add "poor" into that list.

Mountain Brook = $$$
Old 06-05-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As someone who goes to the Caribbean Cuba is probably the safest place for any traveller to go especially young woman. Tourist don't get attacked there simply because the locals no if they do It's like a murder conviction and Castro would have them castrated in prison

Anywhere else like Aruba, Jamaica, The Domenican Republic more and more tourists have been attacked and some even killed the last few years..

Either way this is a very sad story and she probably won't be found alive at this point

Anybody know how she ended up in a car with three strangers by herself??
Where were her other freinds??

Last edited by shanester; 06-05-05 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They did have a few chaperones, but I know when my high school did Europe or Canada trips, we'd have a pretty good ratio of teachers to students, such as 10 to 1, so someone would always know where you were.
based on whats been said above.. it was 124 students and 40 chaperones..
so they had a 3 to 1 ratio
but on the same note.. these were 18 year old kids.. you cant hold their hands crossing the road and follow them to the bathroom
Old 06-05-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She doesn't really sound like the kind of girl that would take off alone with three men. I wonder if they have security tapes that could be reviewed at the club she was at on that last night.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.