Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I woke up today and half a tree was lying up against my house

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-30-05, 01:12 PM

What a great way to start a holiday.

After watching LOTR TTT EE and ROTK EE overnight, I take a nap about 10 am. I wake up about noon to scratching on my screen, as if a wild animal was trying to get in. I look out my window and it looks like a branch broke off a tree and fell in my front bushes and against my screen.

Now my house is kind of weird. Its a split level, with the bedrooms on the lower floor and a basement below those. So its 1.5 stories on the front and 3 stories on the back. So I go upstairs to my dining room and look out my front window to see the branch. Instead I see leaves. Lots of leaves. Lots of leaves six inches from my face. The entire ******* tree fell over on my house!

Then I look to the left. Uh-oh. Am I even going to be able to get out the front door? I get dressed quickly and crack open the door. Yep, more leaves. Fortunately, all the 3-6 inch limbs are leaning on my gutter, and I only have to contend with twigs and a couple 1/2 inch limbs.

Once I get outside I go look at the stump. Turns out only half the tree is up against my house. The other half of the tree is still standing straight up. The trunk split fairly evenly down to about one foot off the ground. At that point, it's about 8-9 inches in diameter. What's amazing is the gutter doesn't appear to be damaged, despite the fact that there are about a dozen thick branches lying on it now.

I call my parents up. They think it's some kind of joke. I tell them to mail me their digital camera if they don't believe me.

I don't get why the tree cracked and fell over. Its not windy today and its only lightly raining here in Atlanta. Of course, a bigger problem is finding a reputable company to come and clear it away. I have this booklet that I got in the mail called Home Reports that supposedly has customer reviews of service companies in it. In the Tree Services section, there are five companies. Two of them aren't in the phonebook, one doesn't do tree removal, and the phone numbers of the other two don't match the numbers in the yellow pages. What a great resource!

So if you know of a method to separate the wheat from the chaff, I would be interested in hearing it. Also, if you have any idea of the cost I would like to know that too. I'm guessing the tree is 40-60' high with a 9" diameter trunk.
Old 05-30-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

damn...that royally sucks man
Old 05-30-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

get an electric pole saw at Home Depot and cut it up. $100 and you're done.
Old 05-30-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"Morning Wood"?
Old 05-30-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

treebeard's gonna be pissed.
Old 05-30-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
pics?
Old 05-30-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
"Morning Wood"?
Well done.
Old 05-30-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is generally "non-skilled" labor that does stuff like this unless there is an actual tree "climber" needed. So look at about $25.00 per hour or so per person. But based on what you say, they will probably just charge you a minimum of $200 to $400 including hauling it off.

I agree, if you have other big trees in your yard go buy something and deal with it your self. Or if you have no other trees in your yard, go rent something. Just go slow and purposeful and you should be fine. Call the city and see if they will do a free pick up for you (once you cut it up) or what the cost would be if they charge.

If it was a strong healthy tree, look for "burn" marks down the split. Could have been lightning.
Old 05-30-05, 11:07 PM

Problem is, I would also need a $200 20'+ ladder to get on my roof and some way to transport said ladder to my house in addition to cutting tools.

There is still the problem of the other half of the tree, which I don't think would remain stable or alive. Its branches are near my power and telephone lines.

If any other tree in my yard fell on my house (there are about 20), it would have been time for insurance. This tree is half the height and diameter of all the other trees and is only about 15-20' from the front of my house. It had lots of lower branches that I was planning to limb off next winter that probably slowed its fall and maybe contributed to its split.
Old 05-30-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have the cool icon parade handy, but...

"THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!"

Last edited by drmoze; 05-30-05 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me help you out here:

:nopics:
Old 05-30-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Problem is, I would also need a $200 20'+ ladder to get on my roof and some way to transport said ladder to my house in addition to cutting tools.

There is still the problem of the other half of the tree, which I don't think would remain stable or alive. Its branches are near my power and telephone lines.

If any other tree in my yard fell on my house (there are about 20), it would have been time for insurance. This tree is half the height and diameter of all the other trees and is only about 15-20' from the front of my house. It had lots of lower branches that I was planning to limb off next winter that probably slowed its fall and maybe contributed to its split.
Typically (but not always so read your policy) there is no coverage for the trees for wind damage. But there is for lightning, but even then there is almost alway a limit which is low (meaning the limit will be reached quickly and almost never cover the cost of a tree that large). There is generally only coverage to get a tree off your house if there is damage to your house. Now some companies will pay to get the tree off to see if there is any damage, but others will not. Requiring you to pay to get the tree off, then if there is damage to the house they will pay you back. Finally most covage for getting trees off your house are only for that, getting the tree off your house. There is very limited coverage for hauling the tree off your property. And finally your deductible will apply.

Again please, please read your policy. Not all policies work like the above but the most poplular ones do.
Old 05-31-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Get a match.
Old 05-31-05, 01:42 AM

If you want pics, recommend a digital camera that is good, cheap, and available at a B&M tomorrow.

Sdallnct - What I meant was that any other tree would have caused damage to my house because they are a lot bigger, farther away (and farther to fall), and don't have low branches to hit the ground first or spread the impact.

Edit: the tree is only about 30-40', not 40-60

Last edited by Nocturnal; 05-31-05 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So if you know of a method to separate the wheat from the chaff, I would be interested in hearing it.
Check the mature forum. I would guess that there are plenty of ways in there.
Old 05-31-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you want pics, recommend a digital camera that is good, cheap, and available at a B&M tomorrow.

Sdallnct - What I meant was that any other tree would have caused damage to my house because they are a lot bigger, farther away (and farther to fall), and don't have low branches to hit the ground first or spread the impact.

Edit: the tree is only about 30-40', not 40-60
OH, ok, and that was what i meant by just buying a chain saw or something. If you have a lot of other trees on your property having a good chain saw would probably be handy at some time. I didn't mean if other had fallen now.

Unless you can't get in/out of your house, get a couple of estimates. And if the rest of the tree needs to come down, but sure and check out the cost of "stump grinding". IMHO if you get rid of the tree, you need to get rid of the stump.
Old 05-31-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry to hear that. Does your home owner's policy cover such events?
Old 05-31-05, 08:01 PM

Time to test a pic!

I can't see my own pics, so let me know if its visible.
Old 05-31-05, 08:18 PM
Suspended

hey, I woke up today and half a erection was laying against me leg.
Old 05-31-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see it!
Old 06-01-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wooderson
hey, I woke up today and half a erection was laying against me leg.
4/5
Old 06-01-05, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What was the tree saying?

"You know, those chain email things from Bill Gates are true."

"I like you as a person."

"Homeopathic medicine is superior to conventional medicine."
Old 06-01-05, 07:13 AM

that's big... big tree
Old 06-01-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Similar thing happened to me.

We had a tree that was on the neighbors property at the back of my yard. April afternoon, just finished vacuuming and was bringing a throw rug out to the garage. When I get outside, open the garage door, and normally am treated to the sunshine shooting through the garage windows, but today, nothing.

I look out the window and see branches and leaves. I run around my garage and see a monster tree lying across my yard, and on top of my garage.

The tree was a 150 year old OAK that split in half. 75 feet came down, across my yard and on top of my 3 car garage that I just finished re-roofing.

This thing was a monster. My yard is 75 feet wide and it took up 50+ feet of it. Poked holes through my roof, destroyed my fence, my garden, my 25 foot japanese maple, and my grass.

My insurane company said they would pay to have someone come in and remove it from all structures and to repair those structures.

Turns out that since it was on my neighbors property, they had some liability associated with it. The tree was struck by lightning 2 years before and they knew it. It started to rot from the inside.

The day was 70 degrees, sunny and no wind at all. But since it was rotting, it eventually just could not support itself.

Since they knew it was struck by lightning, it became a liability issue and their insurance paid for it. But not all of it, and it did end up costing me money out of pocket.

It cost $2,500 to remove the tree from my property.

I have pics but it was before I got my digital camera. I can scan them and post them if I get the chance. My yard looked like the jungle for over a month.

We had a party in the yard scheduled a week later. It would have killed half my friends.