Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Best time to book rooms in Las Vegas?

Old 05-25-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best time to book rooms in Las Vegas?

We are going in September (I think 19th-25th). Room rates right now for that week are absolutely obscene. From what I can tell, there is no major (or even medium-sized) conventions happening. We have already got the plane tickets, so package deals are of no interest to us.

Are the rates so high right now because it's still 4 months away?

What's the best time to get better rates, but still be assured a room?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's a tough one. I think you just fall into the season where the rates go up as the heat starts to fall (summer is cheapest - which is why I'm going down in a month).

Someone else should be able to suggest when the prices will go up or down. Personally I check on expedia. It's a bit of a gamble to wait, sometimes prices fall closer to the date (or more precisely, last minute deals), but if conventions blow into town, you may get screwed with a stiff one (price) if you wait too long. Wait and see what others say though. Have you tried various hotels to see if prices differ quite a bit? I know in AZ, some hotels have their "low-season" end at the start of September, while others go to the end. Perhaps it may be the same in Vegas.
Old 05-25-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I still consider September in Las Vegas summer. Isn't still 110 there then?

I have no qualms about going in the summer, but my wife started a new job last year and is near the bottom of the ladder when it comes to picking her weeks off, AND had to pick between August and Dec. - this was about all that was left by the time it got to her (next year shouldn't be the same issues as she's moved up the senority and gets to pick from the whole year). So needless to say we are stuck.

I have been checking on Expedia, Travelworm, Orbitz, etc. and they all seem to be close to the same $$. I have checked various hotels (mid-strip & south only) and they all seem high. I remember getting email offers for these places in the past for $50-$60 a night weekday and $90-$100 weekend. Now they are $120+ weekday and $175+ weekend.

If it matters, we would like to stay at the Flamingo or near it this time, as the other times we've stayed south. Flamingo rates right now are $120 weekday, $160 Fri, $180 Sat, and their website is the same as the "travel sites".

The convention list is practically non-existent for that week - a few at 1,000 attendees or less and one at 14,000.
Old 05-25-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I booked TI back in April for a September trip. Found a decent rate. If I find a better rate at TI in the interim, I can call back and get the better rate (I did this when I booked at the Flamingo last October). If I find a great rate at another hotel, I can always cancel the TI reservation.

Those e-mail offers usually are for A) weekday dates and B) summertime. Once football season starts, the rates start going back up.

Basically, it makes no sense to wait since you can always keep checking and cancel or adjust if you find a better rate.
Old 05-25-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Red Dog - good to hear the Flamingo will allow the better rate. Did you initially book directly through the hotel the first time, or through a travel site (ie Expedia)?

Also, do all strip hotels act the same way regarding price adjustments and cancellations? Is it any different through a travel site (cancellation fees, etc.)
Old 05-25-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1:47 am
Old 05-25-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nevermind
Thanks Red Dog - good to hear the Flamingo will allow the better rate. Did you initially book directly through the hotel the first time, or through a travel site (ie Expedia)?

Also, do all strip hotels act the same way regarding price adjustments and cancellations? Is it any different through a travel site (cancellation fees, etc.)

I believe I booked through the hotel website. You should always book through the hotel. If you initially find a better rate on one of the travel sites, call the hotel and ask them match the price. They should match it.

Some have different cancellation rules: $25 deposit, 48-hour vs 72-hour requirement, etc. Just ask the hotel or check the fine print online at the time you book.
Old 05-25-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm doing the same thing now. I guess i'll just monitor the prices and jump in eventually.
Old 05-26-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
i'm doing the same thing now. I guess i'll just monitor the prices and jump in eventually.
My advice would be if you see a good deal, jump on it. And actually book through the hotel whenever possible. If you do find a better deal, most hotels will change it for you if you call.

And yes, September in Vegas is still summer in my book. I've been there three times in September and the last time it was still over 100 every day we were there. Great time to be there.
Old 05-30-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If that is when you have to go then I would book something now. Just make sure they have a 24 or 48 hour cancel policy. Then keep looking for something better. We do that all the time, booking as soon as we get an idea to go, then change to a different hotel if we get a better deal.