Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I have cats...

Old 05-24-05, 11:28 PM

I have cats...

mosquitos, spiders, wasps, etc... I can bring myself to spray, burn, and squash everything but the cats. I have tried to approach them, but they run. If I corner them, they hiss.

They live under the deck of the house I bought 3 months ago. I do not feed them anything. I thought they had left, because after the weather allowed for my friends and I to spend extended hours outdoors, I completely forgot they were ever around. But I've seen them 3 times since yesterday, and it appears they still call my deck their home.

Again, they do not allow me to get close to them, and I was hissed at when I took these pics. The pic with the kitten was a risk, because I had to dangle my camera between a tree and the deck (the deck is built around 3 trees).

Animal control?
Old 05-24-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Tough love. Trap them and make them love you!!!!!

Live trap.

See my racoon/skunk threads. Animal control rarely will do anything about cats.

Besides, you are in Texas. Go kvrdave on their asses.
Old 05-24-05, 11:36 PM

I could trap them, probably, but then what would I do with them? I really can't have cats. I lived with them growing up, and hated them because of the problems with my allergies. I like them, but I hate to have them. That makes sense, right?

Im worried about the kitten, because I think there is something wrong with its right eye. You can't tell from the pic, but it is pink and swollen--and has been for over a month.
Old 05-24-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

trap them and bring them far far away. Though I'm not sure if that is humane or not.
Old 05-25-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Trap them and take them to a shelter. They will most likely be destroyed because they are feral. It seems cruel now, but it's either that or let them breed like mad and overrun the place.
Old 05-25-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup. Call animal control. If you aren't taking care of them, they are in danger, so they'll come get them for you and put them up for adoption for a loin little girl or boy that wants them. Problem solved.
Old 05-25-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Poor little guys
Old 05-25-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now I'm more interested in what a "loin little girl" is.
Old 05-25-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

get a dog. cats will run.
Old 05-25-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
I could trap them, probably, but then what would I do with them?
How long must I suffer such foolishness?

Have I tought you so little?

Old 05-25-05, 07:17 AM

Trap them, take them to your local Chinese restaurant, trade them in for a free meal!
Old 05-25-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why can't you leave them there? It doesn't sound like they are causing any trouble.
Old 05-25-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Buy them small shirts that say "Heimer's ***** Posse" - then let them loose. Now the people in your neighborhood will know what's up.

This is obviously the best advice I have ever given.
Old 05-25-05, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Trap them and take them to a shelter. They will most likely be destroyed because they are feral. It seems cruel now, but it's either that or let them breed like mad and overrun the place.

If Animal Control won't come out to your place, they should at least provide you with the trap(s), then bring them to the shelter. Do not trap them then dump them somewhere...not only is it cruel, but it just promotes the problem to others. And do this as soon as possible...before they start breeding, and/or before the males start "spraying" around your house. Next to a skunk, that's one of the worst smells you can encounter.
Old 05-25-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-25-05, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Talk about your "nuclear option"...
Old 05-25-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We had stray cats (mother and several kittens) living in our garage (there was a hole they used to get in). We called animal control and they left some traps and we caught all of them a brought them to a shelter.

Then we nuked the garage with foggers to get rid of all the fleas they left.
Old 05-25-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Call your local animal shelter and they should come out and trap them for you at no cost to you.
Old 05-25-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Yup. Call your local animal shelter and they should come out and trap them for you at no cost to you.
They won't trap them where I live, but they will provide the traps.
Old 05-25-05, 11:04 AM

The pic of the white one just broke my heart
Old 05-25-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are they bothering you? You could trap them, spay/neuter them, and release them back in your area. They'll do their thing, occassionally pop up, and you can be sure they won't cause a massive colony to form. There are TONS of cats behind my house from short-sighted, well-intentioned morons feeding them but not spay/neutering them. 2 years ago I set out to s/n the incredibly growing population. My idiot neighbor actually said "you think that'll help?" I asked her if I needed to explain the birds and bees to her. (She also said she had tried everything, "shaking a broom at them, throwing water on them..." She truly exhausted her options.)

In the 2 years since I've s/n'd about 30 cats. The new kitten population is virtually nil. The cats that are there are happy, keeping the neighborhood mouse-free, and the need for me to bury kittens who have died due to bad weather or disease has thankfully gone away.

WIth only a couple of cats to s/n you have a great opportunity to nip this in the bud.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 05-25-05 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-25-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Are they bothering you? You could trap them, spay/neuter them, and release them back in your area. They'll do their thing, occassionally pop up, and you can be sure they won't cause a massive colony to form. There are TONS of cats behind my house from short-sighted, well-intentioned morons feeding them but not spay/neutering them. 2 years ago I set out to s/n the incredibly growing population. My idiot neighbor actually said "you think that'll help?" I asked her if I needed to explain the birds and bees to her. (She also said she had tried everything, "shaking a broom at them, throwing water on them..." She truly exhausted her options.)

In the 2 years since I've s/n'd about 30 cats. The new kitten population is virtually nil. The cats that are there are happy, keeping the neighborhood mouse-free, and the need for me to bury kittens who have died due to bad weather or disease has thankfully gone away.

WIth only a couple of cats to s/n you have a great opportunity to nip this in the bud.
I thought of suggesting this, because I love cats.

So it has cost you about $600 over the past two years?
Old 05-25-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz

I was in the same situation, and did the same thing. Since you only have a couple, I would suggest the same, but to each his own. I could never put down a stray.

We have an old barn that cats continually got into and had kittens. After housing and giving away a number of litters, I finally decided to do something about it. I caught all of the cats in the barn (there were really only two adults in their at the time - both female, and a number of kittens) and sealed the barn off. I took the two feral cats in my house for a few months to calm them down, and then I took them to the vet to get spayed. This was a couple of months ago. I let them outside for the first time yesterday since it was so nice. They both were actually very hesistant to go, but both are now out enjoying their freedom and I have no worries of anymore kittens. If they want to come back in again, that would be fine as well. I am going to try to get them in the house again before winter comes.

I have had to bury a number of kittens as well, and it ain't fun. Definitely nip it in the bud before it gets out of control (and it will get out of control if you do nothing).
Old 05-25-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much does it usually cost to s/n a cat?
Old 05-25-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
How much does it usually cost to s/n a cat?
I'm not sure how a social security number will help a cat. Unless the government makes the kittens go to foster homes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.