Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I need some advice on sunglasses.

Old 05-18-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I need some advice on sunglasses.

I tend to lose sunglasses and I tend to like nice sunglasses. I like Serengettis, and especially their rose colored, mirrored lenses.

Can anyone recommend cheaper sunglasses that have good lenses?
Old 05-18-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drive down to my neck of the woods and hit Washington Square. They have a little sunglasses hut and every pair is only $12, or 2 for $20. They're nice glasses and since you didn't pay much for them, you don't care if your idiot husband sits on them or your kids cart them off, never to be seen again...
Old 05-18-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Drive down to my neck of the woods and hit Washington Square. They have a little sunglasses hut and every pair is only $12, or 2 for $20. They're nice glasses and since you didn't pay much for them, you don't care if your idiot husband sits on them or your kids cart them off, never to be seen again...
Same here. I don't see how people spend so much on sunglasses. They are too easy to break or get lost. I've had a pair of OP (Ocean Pacific) glasses for 2 years, they probably have another good year or so in them. $20.
Old 05-18-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just make sure that ya don't go too cheap on 'em! If they don't have any UV crap built in they can actually cause damage to your eyes by allowing more harmful rays to pass through.
Old 05-18-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-18-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I have hyper sensitive eyes when it comes to light. I wear my sunglasses during sunset, normally. Anyway, as a result I need lenses that enhance vision in low light, and darken the brightness. Vermillion lenses have always been ideal. Maybe there are some Foster Grant type that would work.
Old 05-18-05, 01:46 PM
Cool New Member

Your best bet might be to try some mid-level glasses like Guess. I had a pair for years that I really liked, but they don't hold up as well as the nicer ones. When that pair died I got a pair of Georgio Armanis and they hold up much better but were like 5 times the amount of money.
Old 05-18-05, 01:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have a Vision Plan for health? if so you can get them paid for.
Old 05-18-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn. You people with good eyesight have it easy. I have prescription lenses, so I treat my sunglasses as carefully as my glasses. Consequently they last until the prescription changes, then I usually just buy new lenses. I have two - one for bright sun (non-polarized, dark bronze lenses) and one for overcast days (polarized, gray lenses). The polarized lenses still make me squint in bright sun even though the gray tint is supposedly "dark". The bronze pair are Kenneth Cole (approx. $60 w/o prescription lenses) and the gray pair are Nautica Catalina (approx. $100 w/o prescription lenses).

The quality of the lenses in both Kenneth Cole and Nautica appears good, but as I replaced the lenses so quickly it's hard to say if they'll hold up under normal wear and tear. I do have a pair of RayBans that have their original polarized lenses, and they're great (I use those with contacts ).

After looking up the serengeti brand, I can tell you that I've never seen rose lenses that did anything wrt sunlight/glare blockage, so if the serengeti lenses work that way, you're probably stuck with that brand if you want rose lenses.
Old 05-18-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Do you have a Vision Plan for health? if so you can get them paid for.
YEah, but they won't pay for sunglasses, unless they are prescription. I rarely wear my prescription glasses (they weaken my eyes) so I won't wear prescription sunglasses either.
Old 05-18-05, 01:54 PM

Old 05-18-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson

I'm gonna have to agree.
Old 05-18-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

damn, those are some UGLY sunglasses
Old 05-18-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I have hyper sensitive eyes when it comes to light. I wear my sunglasses during sunset, normally. Anyway, as a result I need lenses that enhance vision in low light, and darken the brightness. Vermillion lenses have always been ideal. Maybe there are some Foster Grant type that would work.
I hate driving at dusk - that's when my vision is the worst. I find gray polarized lenses help a lot to cut down on the glare and ambient light so that I can see more easily. I too wear my sunglasses at dusk/sunset, and get headaches on overcast days unless I wear sunglasses, so I feel your pain.
Old 05-18-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tend to lose sunglasses and I tend to like nice sunglasses. I like Serengettis, and especially their rose colored, mirrored lenses.

I love the Serengettis as well, I believe you are talking abou the "driver" lenes, they are are great.

I've looked at few Maui Jim's, and while they have a huge following they are pretty pricey.

I have tried cheap sunglasses, but most react badly with my contacts and some even hurt my eyes to use. I have picked up some deals though, check overstock.com, buy.com and some of those places. They will clear out very good glasses in which the style has changed or were last years model. I picked up a 2nd pair of Serengettis for less then $50 that way!
Old 05-18-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that the "Bro" or the "Manzier"?
Old 05-18-05, 02:10 PM

YEah, but they won't pay for sunglasses, unless they are prescription. I rarely wear my prescription glasses (they weaken my eyes) so I won't wear prescription sunglasses either.
I don't know how your insurance works, but if you actually do have a prescription and they would pay for the prescription sunglasses, then you could always get the serenghetties at a place that also does prescription, and have them make prescription lenses but let you keep the original lenses as well, then you could swap out the lenses. Depending on how your insurance works maybe it wouldn't cover it all or you only get so much on hardware and you already used it, but just a thought.
Old 05-18-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

These make me laugh......I want some. Where can I get them?

I found a place to get some Gargoyles at a decent price. I have used them in the past and they are decent glasses. The catch is, they have some NASCAR dude's signature on the lense. Might be worth picking up 10 cheap and keeping them around, though.

Sdallnct - I have a pair of the Driver lenses (actually placed them on the dryer last night and now I can't find them) and they are good, but the Sedona lenses are what I prefer. Used to be called the Vermillion, I believe.
Old 05-18-05, 02:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Just get a 0.0 0.0 prescription
Old 05-18-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Another vote for cheap Mall knock-offs.
Old 05-18-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why don't you get good ones and just be careful and take really good care of them?
It should be no different then a cell phone, wallet, or an ipod. If you can keep reasonable track of those things, you should be able to handle owning decent sunglasses.

If on the other hand you feel you have $20 eyes, then get the $20 sunglasses.
Old 05-18-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just have 2 words for you:

Ray-Ban Wayfarers

Not everyone can pull them off, but if you can
Old 05-18-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tend to lose sunglasses and I tend to like nice sunglasses. I like Serengettis, and especially their rose colored, lenses.
Rose colored Serengettis eh? Those come with a sex change?

I always Liked Ray Bans, Persols... but i tend break/loose them like everyoe else.. so i keep a nice pair in my car for driving... and a cheap pair for wearing out.
Old 05-18-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I got a special pair of sunglasses for ya...

Old 05-18-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Why don't you get good ones and just be careful and take really good care of them?
It should be no different then a cell phone, wallet, or an ipod. If you can keep reasonable track of those things, you should be able to handle owning decent sunglasses.
One would think, but experience tells me differently.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.