Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How much Excederine Migraine is too much in day?

Old 05-02-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

How much Excederine Migraine is too much in day?

The bottle says to only take 2 per 24 hours and to consult my doctor for more than that dosage. Well, don't think I am going to make an appointment, wait 3 weeks, etc. just to ask that question.

Anyway, I know that 4 will wipe out an oncoming headache where 2 will not. Yesterday, we also discovered that 12 will make my stomach very very upset.

8?

10?

Old 05-02-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

After all the controversy with pain relief meds the "new", not new but now pushed harder, thinking is to take the "smallest amount that works for you". What's good for you may screw up someone else.
Old 05-02-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Goodbye headache, hello liver damage!
Old 05-02-05, 10:49 AM

Excederine Migrane has the exact same ingrediants as regular Excedrin. The only difference? It costs more. Check the label, and buy the cheaper generic brand.

I realize that this doesn't answer the question.
Old 05-02-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Goodbye headache, hello liver damage!
More concerned about an ulcer. Tummy still hurts a little
Old 05-02-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

TUMMY HURT!!!!

Anything one should avoid eating or try to mainly eat when you have a stomach ache?

tummy hurt.
Old 05-02-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever I OD on painkillers, I just eat an equally absurd amount of TUMS (with calcium!).
Old 05-02-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are having to take so much Excedrin, why not try something else?
Old 05-02-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I do use something else, and I should have recognized that the excederin wasn't getting the job done. My mistake.
Old 05-02-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
TUMMY HURT!!!!

Anything one should avoid eating or try to mainly eat when you have a stomach ache?

tummy hurt.
Blue Tarantula
Old 05-03-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wondered this same thing. I take at least 2 a day, usually 4. I've never felt any adverse effects, and the most I've taken is 6, but have wondered what it's possibly doing to my body.
Old 05-03-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Active Ingredient
ACETAMINOPHEN - 250 MG
ASPIRIN - 250 MG
CAFFEINE - 65 MG

RECOMMENDATION: ADULTS & CHILDREN OVER 12 YEARS: 2 tablets or caplets orally every six hours while symptoms persist, not to exceed 8 tablets or caplets in 24 hours, or as directed by a physician. Do not take for more than 48 hours for the pain of migraine.

MAJOR ADVERSE REACTIONS: Aspirin: increased bleeding time and potential bleeding episodes; hypersensitivity reaction (urticaria or anaphylaxis); hepatotoxicity with high doses; overdose toxicity (tinnitus). Acetaminophen: hepatotoxicity in overdose (adults); thrombocytopenia; hemolytic anemia (rare); adverse reactions during prolonged use. Caffeine: GI disturbances, nervousness, diuresis, irritability, tachycardia, tremulousness, tachypnea, muscle twitching, arrhythmias, palpitations, hyperventilation, flushing; may interact with drugs that are substrates for, are inhibited by, or induce cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2).
Old 05-03-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Excederine Migrane has the exact same ingrediants as regular Excedrin. The only difference? It costs more. Check the label, and buy the cheaper generic brand.

I realize that this doesn't answer the question.
Costco has the best deal. Kirkland brand for around $5 for 500 pills, I think.
Old 05-03-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chente
Blue Tarantula
Old 05-03-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Acetaminophen shouldn't be hurting your stomach. That's bad.
Old 05-04-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been able to find the generic Excedrin at Costco for about a year, so I've been getting their ibuprofen.

I get tons of migraines, and was going to buy this when it came out, and the pharmacist told me it was the same as regular...

I don't remember ever taking more than 8 Excedrin in 24 hours, but I have taken 12-14 Advil in 24 hours.

EDIT: BTW, the Excedrin QuickTabs and Excedrin Tension Headache as well as Excedrin PM contain no aspirin. Just in case you didn't know.

Last edited by JP5683; 05-04-05 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can OD on Acetaminophen. I'd be careful.
Old 05-04-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I think I'm back to normal, or what approximates it for me. I probably will try to keep from taking any for about a week, then I can work back to no more than 4.
Old 05-04-05, 11:07 AM
Banned

If you're getting real migraines, go to your doctor and get some Imitrex...it's not for prevention but for when you know one is coming on (auras, over-sensitivity to light, etc). It worked wonders for me!
Old 05-04-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Loadthefile
If you're getting real migraines, go to your doctor and get some Imitrex...it's not for prevention but for when you know one is coming on (auras, over-sensitivity to light, etc). It worked wonders for me!

I've been to him. Imitrex didn't seem to work for me I do use Torodol when the migraine is bad, but generally the Excedrine Migraine can keep it from getting bad.
Old 05-04-05, 12:03 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Younger people(less than 65) have a generally decreased risk of side-effects and serious complications from NSAIDS(of which Ibuprofen and ASA are members of). It can occur but generally it is rare. Overdosing on Tylenol is difficult to do if you don't have a history of alcoholism and you aren't taking it for the express purpose of overdosing.
Old 05-04-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that explains that. Looks like I'll have to find another way to kill kvrdave.
Old 05-04-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Younger people(less than 65) have a generally decreased risk of side-effects and serious complications from NSAIDS(of which Ibuprofen and ASA are members of). It can occur but generally it is rare. Overdosing on Tylenol is difficult to do if you don't have a history of alcoholism and you aren't taking it for the express purpose of overdosing.
A Common Misconception Proves Fatal
A grieving mother in Moore, Oklahoma, is determined that her Migraineur daughter's death teach others to take over-the-counter medications seriously and take them with care.

On June 24, 2003, 17-year-old Kellie Lynn McWilliams was suffering with pain from a Migraine attack and turned to Tylenol for pain relief. In pain and probably tired and groggy, Kellie took approximately 20 of the 500 mg acetaminophen capsules. That translates to ingesting 10 grams of acetaminophen; the maximum recommended within 24 hours is four grams.

When Kellie became ill, repeatedly vomiting, she was taken to the hospital. She told her mother, "I thought it was OK. It's just Tylenol, Ma." The side effects of the overdose caused kidney and liver damage resulting in organ failure, which caused her death on June 28.

According to Dr. Bill Banner, Medical Director of the Oklahoma Poison Control Center, an antidote is available, but it has to be administered within 18 hours of taking the acetaminophen.

The Managing Director of the Oklahoma Poison Control Center pointed out, "People think analgesics are safe, but they don't read the labels and they easily can make dosage errors ... fatal errors."

Kellie's mother, Jody McWilliams said, "If I can save one girl's life with her story ... that's all I want to do."

The American Association of Poison Control Centers shows the following statistics for reported acetaminophen poisonings in 2001:

Total reported exposures: 57,516
Reported exposures, under the age of 19: 40,774
Unintentional overdoses: 35,705
Intentional overdoses: 20,002
Total treated for the exposure: 24,934
Impact on health from the incident: none, 15,029; minor, 6,223; moderate, 3,138; major, 829; fatal: 120
We often discuss acetaminophen in relation to rebound headaches. This is another vital issue of which we must all be aware, not only with acetaminophen, but with all our medications. When we're in the midst of pain from a headache or Migraine, our thinking is not always clear. It can be difficult to keep track of how much of which medications we take and the times we take them. Here are some suggestions for avoiding problems:

If someone is with you, put them in charge of your medications. Let them keep track of what you take at what time and be sure that you're not exceeding the recommended dosage.
Wash and keep some small empty medication bottles. When you know you're getting a headache and Migraine, and are going to need medications, put the maximum amount you can take that day in the empty bottles. Then put the rest away where you will not accidentally pick it up and use it.
Keep a notepad next to your medications and jot down the times you take medications, what you take, and how much.
If the maximum dosage of medication doesn't give you relief, do NOT take more. Contact your doctor or go to the emergency room.
Always read the labels and heed the dosage instructions when taking medications. You don't want to say or hear, "I thought it was OK. It's just Tylenol, Ma."

Resources:

"Teenager Accidentally Overdoses On Over-The-Counter Analgesic." The Associated Press. ChannelOklahoma.com. July 2, 2003.

"A Profile of U.S. Poison Centers in 2001: A Survey Conducted by the American Association of Poison Control Centers." American Association of Poison Control Centers.
Old 05-04-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I've been to him. Imitrex didn't seem to work for me I do use Torodol when the migraine is bad, but generally the Excedrine Migraine can keep it from getting bad.
Imitrex didn't work for my wife either. She gets classic migraines (w/ auras) -- actually last time she actually got disoriented/confused. She was given a new prescription that seems to have worked (we think she's stopped 2 migraines with it so far), but I can't remember the name.

She usually doesn't even get the headache part of the migraine.
Old 05-04-05, 12:25 PM

A good headline for that story would be:

120 Dead From Taking Tylenol

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.