Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

No health insurance - can i go to the ER?

Old 04-29-05, 10:44 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Downtown LA
Posts: 1,189
No health insurance - can i go to the ER?

Hey guys, need some help for anyone that knows. I live in LA now, just started a job, and benefits haven't kicked in yet, but i'm feeling pretty messed up - muscle pain, numbness in limbs etc... I'm wondering if I go to an ER in a hospital or whatever, is there something I can apply for to not have to pay for tests etc... I really don't think I can afford it since I"m going to go into law school starting in the fall as well....does anyone know how this works in california?
mytzplyx is offline  
Old 04-29-05, 10:57 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
I'd look around for a cheap/free clinic
ERs are expensive as hell for even simple things
mikehunt is offline  
Old 04-29-05, 11:24 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,799
Well, I know you don't need this now but...

Your question is not about health insurance, but if you can get some free medical treatment. The answer is, not likely. And why would you even ask to get it for free? If you are going to law school I'm sure you realize nothing is truely free, you are just hoping someone else will pay for it.

I "believe" that if you are in serious (read life threatening) condition an ER cannot turn you away. However, that does not mean you would get a free ride. You say you have a job, in that case you can work it off. Most hospitals should be able to set you up a payment plan. Do you have a credit card? You can use that to pay, then pay it off with a low interest loan from your works credit union, then pay them back pay roll deduction.

Again I'm sure you didn't come for a lecture, but you need to get health insurance. If your work doesn't allow the benefit for a year or something, get it on your own. Check with who has your auto or home insurance or check with any clubs you belong to. You can also check with the school you are about to go to.

As someone also mentioned, you might want to go to a "doc in the box". It will be much cheaper to check you out, then if truely serious they can get you to the ER.

I truely am sorry you are sick and hope it is nothing serious. But please once you get past this be responsible and get some coverage for yourself. It is available.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 04-29-05, 11:49 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Mole177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glendale, Ca
Posts: 4,376
If you can type, you do not need to go to the ER.

And i dont think you would want to go either.
Mole177 is offline  
Old 04-29-05, 11:55 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Trelach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,927
What are you doing just sitting around doing nothing?

Go to the Emergen............oh, wait. Nevermind.
Trelach24 is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 12:02 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Downtown LA
Posts: 1,189
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well, I know you don't need this now but...

Your question is not about health insurance, but if you can get some free medical treatment. The answer is, not likely. And why would you even ask to get it for free? If you are going to law school I'm sure you realize nothing is truely free, you are just hoping someone else will pay for it.

I "believe" that if you are in serious (read life threatening) condition an ER cannot turn you away. However, that does not mean you would get a free ride. You say you have a job, in that case you can work it off. Most hospitals should be able to set you up a payment plan. Do you have a credit card? You can use that to pay, then pay it off with a low interest loan from your works credit union, then pay them back pay roll deduction.

Again I'm sure you didn't come for a lecture, but you need to get health insurance. If your work doesn't allow the benefit for a year or something, get it on your own. Check with who has your auto or home insurance or check with any clubs you belong to. You can also check with the school you are about to go to.

As someone also mentioned, you might want to go to a "doc in the box". It will be much cheaper to check you out, then if truely serious they can get you to the ER.

I truely am sorry you are sick and hope it is nothing serious. But please once you get past this be responsible and get some coverage for yourself. It is available.
Thanks for the lecture, but truly, it could not have been helped. I was under the assumption that my health insurance had kicked in *last* month, but was told today, not until May. Maybe I should just go to a clinic, might be cheaper?
mytzplyx is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 01:43 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,420
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well, I know you don't need this now but...

Your question is not about health insurance, but if you can get some free medical treatment. The answer is, not likely. And why would you even ask to get it for free? If you are going to law school I'm sure you realize nothing is truely free, you are just hoping someone else will pay for it.

I "believe" that if you are in serious (read life threatening) condition an ER cannot turn you away. However, that does not mean you would get a free ride. You say you have a job, in that case you can work it off. Most hospitals should be able to set you up a payment plan. Do you have a credit card? You can use that to pay, then pay it off with a low interest loan from your works credit union, then pay them back pay roll deduction.

Again I'm sure you didn't come for a lecture, but you need to get health insurance. If your work doesn't allow the benefit for a year or something, get it on your own. Check with who has your auto or home insurance or check with any clubs you belong to. You can also check with the school you are about to go to.

As someone also mentioned, you might want to go to a "doc in the box". It will be much cheaper to check you out, then if truely serious they can get you to the ER.

I truely am sorry you are sick and hope it is nothing serious. But please once you get past this be responsible and get some coverage for yourself. It is available.
what a sanctimonious pile of shit.


to the OP: go to an emergency clinic...it will at least be cheaper. I had to go to the ER when i had food poisoning many years ago and I *gasp* didn't have insurance as a 23 year old dude that made 5.15 an hour. It cost a few hundred bucks, but they just sent me a bill and i gave them ten bucks a month for a while until it was eventually paid off. I hate to break it to Mr. holier-than-fucking-thou Sdallanct, but insurance is really goddamned expensive, and not everyone can afford it. It isn't their goddamned fault, and your condescending bullshit is truly appalling. get over yourself.
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 02:37 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Downtown LA
Posts: 1,189
Come to think of it, that was a pretty sanctimonious pile of shit. I read it again. He just assumed that I was ignorant and dumb, trying to leech off of society, waiting for benefits while flipping my burgers?

I'm a headhunter working on 100% commission, during the "temp to hire" time, I get paid shit. "hire" was suppose to have been in March, but our HR consultant was outsourced to one of our closest clients - my paperwork got backed up, and shit happens.
mytzplyx is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 08:47 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,799
Well to OP I'm sorry if I sounded "sanctimonious". I will admit, it was a lecture, if you want to ignore it so be it. But I read your post as "I don't have health insurance, I'm sick and I want someone else to pay for it for me". To me that sounded "sanctimonious". Now if you did not mean it like that, then again, the error is mine.

To brizz, if you look at my post, I say exactly what you said, he can set up a pay plan. As I said, if he is seriously ill they will not turn him away, but it will not be free. You are right, even if it cost several thousand $$ they may allow very low payment until he is in a better position or does get it paid off. And if you feel I said could have said it better and less with a lecture....so be it. You can feel that way.

I did not mean anyone was dumb here. In fact just opposite. However, I talk to people every day who say "insurance is to much" yet then complain when they can't afford to go to the doctor. I also was making no comments about your work. I find any work "noble" and don't care if it is "flipping burgers" or a CEO or a 500 company (tho it sounds like you have a problem with flipping burgers).

Now with your added inputs it sounds like your paper work got messed up? Your right, it happens all the time, but if they simply have not sent you out your insurance card you still could be covered! Call you place of work and find out the "effective date" of your policy. Just because you don't have a copy of the policy or paper work doesn't mean your not covered. If you do go to the hospital or Dr. and pay for it yourself, then keep all receipts, it is possible if your effective date was before your visit, your insurance company will reimburse you for the covered portion.

And if your company has a 1 year waiting period (not unusual) before benefits kick in, then guess you can look at my original post and see that you have other options to take care of yourself. You state "trying to leech off of society", yet your OP clearly says "is there something I can apply for to not have to pay for tests". You didn't say "how can I pay this off" or "can I be billed later". You said "not to have to pay for tests". Now, I'm not sure what you meant to say, but it does sound like you wanted someone else to pay.

Again, hope you feel better and that things work out for you.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 09:00 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by brizz
hate to break it to Mr. holier-than-fucking-thou Sdallanct, but insurance is really goddamned expensive, and not everyone can afford it. It isn't their goddamned fault, and your condescending bullshit is truly appalling. get over yourself.
Insurance is expensive because medical treatment is expensive. Medical treatment is expensive because people without insurance and illegal aliens show up at the hospital and ask for a handout. When they can't pay, the price of the paying customer goes up.
matta is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 12:01 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,294
Originally Posted by matta
Insurance is expensive because medical treatment is expensive. Medical treatment is expensive because people without insurance and illegal aliens show up at the hospital and ask for a handout. When they can't pay, the price of the paying customer goes up.
Medical treatment is also expensive because people have insurance, and could really care less how expensive their treatment is as long as they only have to pay the co-pay and the insurance co covers the rest.

Catastropic medical emergencies are the #1 reason for personal bankruptcy. So, hospitals and the insurance companies covering them often get the pointy end of the stick when it comes to that.
darkflounder is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 12:04 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
I recommend that you shoot yourself. That way, you won't piss anybody off.
Shazam is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 12:19 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 282
Since you said your benefits would have kicked in if the paperwork had been done in a timely fashion (At least that's how I took it) ask your employer if they can retroactively file a claim for your medical bills that you will incur once your insurance kicks in. This way you can go to the ER then by the time you get your medical bill your insurance will have kicked in. Some companies will help you out on this. I was in a similar situation and my HR department actually told me this can be done easier than you think. Never hurts to ask.
cmatherne is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 12:22 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
visitor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,501
Originally Posted by matta
Insurance is expensive because medical treatment is expensive. Medical treatment is expensive because people without insurance and illegal aliens show up at the hospital and ask for a handout. When they can't pay, the price of the paying customer goes up.
Yep .. this is why Mr. "I'll be back" should be Prez ..

A family member with 30 years of nursing service (at the same hospital), who just happens not to be a racist, has been saying this for years now.
visitor Q is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 12:33 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well to OP I'm sorry if I sounded "sanctimonious". I will admit, it was a lecture, if you want to ignore it so be it. But I read your post as "I don't have health insurance, I'm sick and I want someone else to pay for it for me". To me that sounded "sanctimonious". Now if you did not mean it like that, then again, the error is mine.
Yup, that sentence in the OP, about how "just started a job, and benefits haven't kicked in yet" was pretty confusing...
WillieTheShakes is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 02:47 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
insurance isn't that pricey. mine cost $88 a month
digital cable and cable internet costs more than around here

like I said. Find a clinic
ERs are for true emergencies, and cost a shit load for minor stuff, probably partly as a deterent for using them when they aren't needed
mikehunt is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 02:55 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
Does your school have a student health center? If not, I guess you could try one of those "instant-care" clinics that might be willing to check you. From your post, I don't think they will run any serious tests, but they might prescribe some medicine for you.
Ranger is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 02:55 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,013
Originally Posted by brizz
what a sanctimonious pile of shit.
Goldblum is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 04:31 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,799
Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
Yup, that sentence in the OP, about how "just started a job, and benefits haven't kicked in yet" was pretty confusing...
Again, perhaps I did read more into, but he did say more then your quote. He went on to say "is there a way I won't have to pay". Maybe I focused in on that to much, but a guy with a computer, internet access, job and going to law school asking me to pay for his ER visit (thru higher taxes and higher insurance) bothered me.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 05:10 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
another reason healt care cost so much is high malpractice insurance costs for the doctors
mikehunt is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 05:12 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
oh. one more thing
http://www.lafreeclinic.org/
http://www.google.com/local?num=20&h...sa=X&oi=localr

see if any of those can help you out
mikehunt is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 09:43 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,748
Find out about preexisting conditions--when your benefits start do they start in full or will your insurance not pay for anything you were treated for before (often until you've been covered for six months)?

I had problems with numbness, saw a doctor, then got insurance and they won't cover any of the tests my doctor ordered until July.
tasha99 is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 10:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Originally Posted by mytzplyx
Hey guys, need some help for anyone that knows. I live in LA now, just started a job, and benefits haven't kicked in yet, but i'm feeling pretty messed up - muscle pain, numbness in limbs etc... I'm wondering if I go to an ER in a hospital or whatever, is there something I can apply for to not have to pay for tests etc... I really don't think I can afford it since I"m going to go into law school starting in the fall as well....does anyone know how this works in california?

I'm not going to get into the fight going on in this thread but I wanted to stop in, say hello and offer my two cents.

If you're hurt, sick, injured or whatever, you should find someone to see you. You shouldn't have to suffer because you think you can't afford to see a doctor. If you don't have issues with what type of doc you see, you might find it more affordable to see a naturopathic doctor or a midwife (I don't know if you're a guy or a girl here). I didn't have health insurance as a young adult and I got very sick. I went to a local clinic and saw a nurse practitioner and that worked out well for me.

I wish you good luck and hope you get to feeling better soon.
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 05-01-05, 01:18 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
Don't know if this will help or not, but I was reading a report on a medical study at the onion which was stating that drinking a bottle of bourbon a day reduces a patients awareness of heart attacks.

By the way, when does your medical insurance kick in? For now, yes, don't go to the emergency room but rather go to a clinic or something similar, the price will be much, much less than an ER.

And as for the cost of insurance vs the cost of medical care, I think it's criminal what hospitals and other people charge cash paying customers vs what they charge insurance companies. Not that it matters in this case, of course, since he has a job but just hasn't had his benefits kick in.
Heat is offline  
Old 05-01-05, 01:57 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,733
Just found out the other day that my co-pay for the ER is $100! That is with insurance, and probably only covers the basics. Unless you are loaded I would check out an Immediate Care Center or a clinic.
Michael Corvin is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.