Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Suggestions needed for BFL workout

Old 04-26-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Suggestions needed for BFL workout

I'm planning on starting the Body For Life workout and diet routine, but before I do, I'd like to hear from people on details of the workout. My primary question revolves around the second exercise for each body part. Is it better to work a secondary muscle group, or attack the same area?

For example, chest press. You do the first 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 sets doing dumbbell presses. Is it better to immediately follow that with a similar move (such as incline, which hits a very similar area) or an alternate move (such as flies, which hits a different area of the chest)?

A better example might be back. Let's say you start by doing rows. Should the second exercise hit that area of the back again, or should you do lat pull down to hit the lats instead?

To take it one step further, what about the next time you do that body part. Do you do completely different exercises, or the same?
Old 04-26-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First comics and Packers, then 1138, and now BFL too?
Old 04-26-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're kidding me. Geesh. Don't tell me you like cheese, too.

Seriously, how long have you been at it. I've done it once before and made it through 8 weeks. I looked and felt better than ever. But that time has come and gone.
Old 04-26-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been working on getting started tomorrow. I spent a while getting things organized enough where I not only have the equipment in my house to do this, but a diet plan I can live with.

Unlike you, however, I need a good 3 or 4 twelve week rotations.
Old 04-26-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

My buddy does this with great results. From what he said, your second exercise targets the same muscles, yet a little differently. So you go from shoulder press to raising dumbells to your shoulders (not sure what it is called), or from bench to flys on your back, or lat pulls to "lawn mower starters." I tend to call them what they remind me of.
Old 04-26-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did this for a while but just didn't think the amount of lifting was enough (or cardio only 3 times a week for that matter) so went back to old routine. When I was doing BFL, I would just try to vary your workout. Flat bench as my core lift one day and incline as my core lift the next. Maybe flys one day then something different the next on the 2 sets of 12. Variety is the important thing here. I liked BFL in that the workouts were short and felt like I always had time to do them but in the end, it wasn't enough workout to make big gains (strength and/or weight loss). Most/all of the previous BFL winners went way above and beyond the standard program to get where they are today. Still, it is a great way to get started and provide structure for those that need it. Good luck.