Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Broken mailboxes, landlord won't fix sufficiently, what should I do?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-26-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in an apartment complex where there are three buildings. Four are in the first, eight in the middle (where I live), and four in the back.

About a year ago, someone broke the door next to my box, and also mine. The doors were re-secured, and everything was ok.

Then the same two doors, and two other doors were broken.

The mailman said he shouldn't be delivering the mail to broken boxes (two without doors, two with doors that wouldn't lock)

Two of the four doors in the box in the first building also turned up missing.

The post office said if the landlord did not repair or replace the boxes by Dec 31, all mail would be held.

It didn't get repaired in time, and mail was held for a week.

A new box finally went up, without doors. After a week, doors and locks were added but no one had any keys. This box had fourteen spaces, eight for my building, four for the 'back' building, two with no markings.

The box for the first four apartments remained unrepaired for the time being.

The mailman was seen one day walking away from the new box. A call to the landlord's office revealed that each tenant had to come in for a key.

$10 later, I had a key, and retrived three days worth of mail. Landlord refused to send a notice stating that they would not offer keys, that you had to ask, and that there was a charge. They said that the tenats would figure it out.

After another week, the post office again stopped delivering all mail, saying that because the small box for the first building had not been fixed, all mail would be held until all the apartments had proper boxes.

Called the landlord twice, secretary said the landlord would get back to me.

Two weeks later, nothing.

Post office is getting upset at me when I pick up my mail.

I have a PO Box at another office seven blocks from where the mail is being held. I opened that box five years ago when I started going eBay crazy.

That office is 'out of the district' so to re-route the home mail there requires the change of address card to be filled out, and it will take two weeks to start, and whenever the boxes are fixed, two weeks to send it back here, unless I can give specific start/stop dates.

The mailman said to call the city to complain. Left a message on a 'building complaints' hotline. Got a call back saying that they couldn't do anything about it.

Postal clerk said the tenants should rally against the landlord to get his attention. I don't want to cause trouble though. Just want my mail.

Some of these apartments have nine, ten people or more living in them, which could be a reason why the boxes were broken in the first place, not enough keys to go around.

I know it's not the landlord's fault that the boxes were messed up, it's the other fools around here.

What can I do to help push the landlord to fix this?

He owns tons of properties in this area, and some in Vegas, and Arizona, and I don't know where else.

Nice guy, but he spreads himself too thin, and cuts too many corners...

Other things that need fixing take a lot of calls to get done.

GRRRRRR!

I wish I had a camera to show you the boxes.

Thanks for reading my rant.

If you have any suggestions, let me know.
Old 02-27-05, 12:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Where are all the lawyers on this board!?
Old 02-27-05, 01:07 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Kill him.
Old 02-27-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Two words.....

Fire Bomb.

-pedagogue
Old 02-27-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's federal statue that you need to provide a working mailbox.

I am probably wrong though.
Old 02-27-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is a working mailbox guaranteed in your lease (or perhaps by some state law or renter's code)?

If not, fall back on the fire bomb idea. It never fails.
Old 02-27-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Title 18, United States Code
Section 1705. Destruction of letter boxes or mail
Whoever willfully or maliciously injures, tears down or destroys any letter box or other receptacle intended or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any mail route, or breaks open the same, or willfully or maliciously injures, defaces or destroys any mail deposited therein, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years.
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/usc18/mailbox.htm

I found this for NYC not sure if there is something in your area.

Mail

United States Postal Service (USPS) regulations require mailboxes in buildings containing three or more apartments to be secured by the landlords unless the landlord has arranged in advance to distribute the mail to each apartment. Landlords must keep the mailboxes in good repair.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/unccp/html/legal/faq.shtml
Old 02-27-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can understand why you'd be pissed that there is no attention coming from your landlord, but I do have one question:

Why would the mail delivery guy refuse to deliver mail just because you don't have a lock on your mailbox? That's pretty crazy in itself. I could understand if the mailbox was <i>broken</i>, but just because it doesn't lock???
Old 02-27-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, your landlord is not a nice guy, he's a dick. He makes you pay $10 for the "pleasure" of having access to a mailbox after making people wait, and refuses to send out (or even post!) a notice?

With all the other crap you posted, please tell me you're moving out at the end of your lease.
Old 02-27-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not on a lease, it's month to month. And I can't afford to move, yet.

He just owns way too many properties to keep an eye on all of them.

Called on Wednesday about the kitchen sink. The hot water constantly runs, by putting a weight on it, it slows to a drip. He pays the water bill, so he should care about wasting it.

There is a faucet thingy by one of the carports, and someone backed into it, and broke it last week. Water was shooting everywhere, and still he didn't come over. Somehow it was contained, but water is now running down the driveway...

There is a small hole above the shower where water drips from upstairs. It has been repaired about five times, twice by the previous landlord.

There is one handyman to handle all the work, and a plumber that sometimes comes around. Any major work, he has to call people in.

Last edited by JP5683; 02-28-05 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Some states allow tenants to have problems repaired then deduct the cost from rent provided a resonable attempt has been made to get the landlord to fix them. I don't know if that would work if you don't have a lease.
Old 02-27-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Some states allow tenants to have problems repaired then deduct the cost from rent provided a resonable attempt has been made to get the landlord to fix them. I don't know if that would work if you don't have a lease.
Yup. MD does.....but that doesn't help you.

-pedagogue
Old 03-02-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to pick up the mail Tuesday morning, was told if all the boxes weren't repaired to the post office's satisfaction by the weekend, all mail for the complex will be returned to sender.

That SUCKS!

Finally got a handle on what department to call.

Something about fair housing.

A lady called the landlord and told him what was up, and was told the boxes will be fixed in 48 hours.

I'll believe it when I see it, but the pipe/faucet thingy that was running all weekend has been fixed.
Old 03-02-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
aren't there ca lawyers here? i believe ca could be one of these...and that could help you with the other items if it is the case

bfrank, are you out there? can you help this otter?
Old 03-03-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Box is repaired!

Don't know about keys or if the post office knows everything is ok.

Going to go by the PO Thursday morning.
Old 03-03-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
What's your address so we can test your new box out?

Postcards from Otters!
Old 03-03-05, 11:59 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Building managers, sometimes they can be such fuckwits.
Old 03-03-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stop paying rent. say you cant get your money because the mail isnt be delivered. then when the owner comes by the yell at you, fire bomb his face.
Old 03-04-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ARRRRGH! I had just about finished a long paragraph, and it vanished.

Shorter version.

Called the PO on Thursday to say everything was ok. They said it was too late for delivery, it would resume on Friday.

No delivery by 4 pm Friday. Called and was told the station manager came out to look at the boxes and declared them 'substandard' and 'unacceptable'.

Called the lady at Housing Urban Task Force, said it was too late to call as the office was about closed, but they would do something Monday morning.

Called the landlord, got an answering machine.

If I forward mail to my PO box it could take 10 days to start, because requests have to go to Santa Clarita.

My dad said several people here are signing a paper that they will not pay the rent until this is fixed. He signed it. His name is on the lease, not mine.

I haven't mentioned the landlord's name but I guess I should, maybe one or more of you have dealt with him before. He owns property in various parts of California, and I've been told also in Vegas and Arizona, but I can't confirm that.

His name is Dario Pini and the company name is DP Investments.

Googling his name finds too many unrelated results.

There is one newspaper columnist here that frequently writes about him. Mr. Pini has been cited many times for not reparing his properties, or allowing too many people to live in one location.

He has said he has to much to keep track of to know everything, and it's not his fault.

I believe him for the most part. He is a decent guy. He just has his hands in too many projects to monitor them all as he should.

The kitchen faucet has been running now for almost two weeks. I put a weight on it (gallon of water) and it slowed to a trickle. Could be a real jerk if I wanted and waste more water, he pays for it.

Grrrrr!
Old 03-05-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a link to CA tenants' rights concerning repairs:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/repairs.htm
Old 03-07-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DAMMIT!

I am SO pissed off!

Saturday morning, I went down to the main office to talk to someone in charge.

I told them as far as I could tell, the boxes were ok. They were secure, they all had locks, there were enough.

The super said he'd check or have someone else check on Monday morning.

I got home about an hour ago from work, and one of the doors is broken off!

GRRRRR!

The stupid guys that always spend their weekends getting drunk are out in the parking lot. I doubt they did it though, it was probably one of the teenage punks that live in the back building.

This really is getting on my nerves!
Old 03-07-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe if your landlord wasn't such a dick, he'd actually hire security to come around once a century to prevent stuff like that.

Newsflash: If he has too many properties to manage, he either needs to sell some or hire someone who is competent.
Old 03-27-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been awhile since I updated this thread (or any thread, but I actually have time tonight)

The broken box stayed up for 2 weeks. Saturday the 19th a new set of boxes appeared.

On March 8, I filed for address change to my PO Box. Was told to wait ten days. After ten days, nothing appeared. Went to main office, was told they had no record of a forward request, but had a pile of mail for me. Filled out another form and left.

In pile of mail, a letter saying a request had been received, if wrong, call, if not do nothing, the mail will be forwarded.

Monday almost all apartments received keys. Called the housing task line thingy and said no one was home to receive the key on Monday. They said they would get someone to bring the key ASAP.

Wednesday picked up one letter than had been forwarded. Finally noticed that while the box did have individual locks, it was lacking master locks. Note inside box said landlord had to contact post office.

I called the task force, and post office. Said the box would have locks by Thursday afternoon.

Thursday afternoon, key delivered. Argued that the $10 fee should be waived since I paid for the key for the box that was removed. Won argument, free key.

Friday morning, no main locks. Went to PO Box, no more forwarded mail. Went to main office, was told the whole complex was 'on hold' so my request wouldn't go through until after the hold was lifted. Canceled hold, picked up more mail.

Was told the guy who fixes/adds locks only does so on Wednesdays. Called Housing whatchamacalit number. They called the post office and were told that the locks could go up Monday, but probably not. Landlord said they did file request that the locks be installed, so the ball is now in the post office's court.

Chances are mail delivery will resume on Thursday.

*crossing fingers*
Old 03-27-05, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read.

You and your dad should just move out.
Old 03-27-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Your landlord and property owners are jerks. However, I should inform you of the cost of repairing these overpriced mailboxes. A typical 7 x 5 (designs change for the complex so I'm not sure what you have) mailbox will cost the property owner thousands of dollars. These mailboxes are basically in the USPS domain, and they have to inspect them (to be sure they meet Standard 4B+), install them, etc. It's a rip-off to say the least. This is why I'm surprised the property owner didn't install security cameras and hire a security guard. The cost of repairing and replacing these boxes is trivial compared to cameras and a security guard working the area.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-27-05 at 06:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.