Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

In general, did you ( or do you) enjoy school?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics
View Poll Results: Overall, did (or do) you like school?
I did enjoy my overall school experience
30.61%
I disliked or hated my time in school
12.24%
I liked most, but not all of my schooling
26.53%
I disliked most, but not all of my schooling
20.41%
College rocked (or rocks)
26.53%
College sucked (or sucks)
10.20%
Magna Cum Twikoff
4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall, I have to say that I really, really liked school. Elementary through college.

Not all of it, mind you. There were some very trying moments scattered throughout, but in general, my school experience was great. I remember something about school, or a memory from school almost every day.

Tell us about your feelings about your school experience. Did you like elementary, hate jr. high, love H.S., and hate college? Why? What made your school experience unique?

This is not for any project or survey, just my own personal interest.

I'll start. I went to a school that had K-12th grade all in the same building. Elementary was on one wing, Jr. High, and H.S. on the other. I most of the kids in my graduating class were the same group of kids since Kindergarten. Both of my parents were teachers, my mother at my school, my dad an a school about 30 miles away. Having my mom at school was a real pain in the ass for pretty much all of my school experience. I went to a very small school for my first two years of college. That was some of the best time of my life. I made great friends, had a ton of fun, and actually learned a lot thanks to some great instructors. I later transferred to a larger school, hated it, flunked out, went to an even bigger school 1 1/2 years later and finished. I can't say I liked either of those schools, but I did finish.

Anyway, please share if you liked your overall school experience. If you're still in school, please share as well.
Old 02-25-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eh, it was alright minus all the wedgies and gun shootings.
Old 02-25-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes and Yes.

Grade school was ok. (Fun and what not)
Middle school sucked. (Typical bullies, etc)
High school was good. (Growth spurt/star athlete did alot for me)
College was very good. (Overall I had a freakin' blast)
Grad school...so far, so good (Very intensive and stressful, but I love what I"m doing)

-pedagogue
Old 02-25-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

School was okay for me, but it got better after I beat the school bully to a pulp

University was much better though, I had a whale of a time there.
Old 02-25-05, 11:19 PM
Banned

School was great once I got to start picking my own classes. (i.e. under grad, grad, and high school to a degree). From a social standpoint, I really enjoyed high school and my undergraduate years. Prior to high school was kinda slow because I couldn't drive or stay out past dark, and grad school+ has been boring because a "party" now consists of 8 people drinking wine and talking at dinner. Plus, when I go back to my fraternity house, people ask me for money and look like they're 8 years old.
Old 02-25-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

High School
Undergrad and grad
Old 02-25-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything was ok but jr. high - that place was scary.

*shudder*
Old 02-25-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
it sure was better than working for a living
Old 02-26-05, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

before 6th grade as just a "meh" as in no big deal..

Jr High (back in the day before that BS name change to calling it middle school) sucked. I got the "tag" of a trouble maker so all of sudden any little thing I did = suspended/etc. Not a lot of friends etc.. lame.. Of course looking back I was not this angel who did nothing and still got in trouble but it still sucked. I rem walking around at lunch, as in just walking around with nothing do. weeeeeee... as I said, lame

Highschool was fine.. I was on the football team, lots of friends, I had a car at 16 and friends parents use to leave for weeks at a time. Knew a lot of girls at a private girls school.. What else could ya want out of highschool?

College was just sort of the same o same o.. I did not go away for school and the schools I did go to were a little lacking in the whole college vibe being Sacramento State sort of has the rep of a commuter college. Had some good teachers and had a whole lot of bad ones. It was really just a slow chug forward til I was done. If I was going to do it over I would put more effort into hunting down the whole idea of --college sort of stuff-- to do.. At the time I did not care, I just wanted to finish..

oh and I really would have sat next to this hot girl in the one of my classes.. Oh noooooo I sit other side of the room just out of habit of wanting to sit next to a window.. Then over the next few months went by I got to see this guy who just happend to sit next to her go from "Hi my name is...." to then walking her to her car.. to then making out with her before class.. doh.. whoops..
Old 02-26-05, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So far, grad. school here in Sweden rocks.

There is a bit of work, but it isn't too unreasonable. The biggest problem is trying to get the motivation to write my thesis.

And, this is the closest I've been to having a social life in...well...ever.
Old 02-26-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
it sure was better than working for a living
I hear ya! I would have enjoyed it even more if I had known what the real world was like.
Old 02-26-05, 04:19 PM

Gradeschool was enjoyable, but I guess that was because I actually enjoyed life in general back then.

Junior high sucked, but it was pretty much the last era of my life that I had a decent social life outside of school.

Highschool itself was nice (the actual school experience), but freshman year was pretty much the beginning of the end of my social life, and I didn't really have any fun outside of class as I spent most of my time doing homework and practicing and spending every saturday during the schoolyears going to a music school that I hated attending.

College sucked for me in every concievable way and I look back upon it with nothing but regret. I didn't have any fun or social life, and I was too depressed and unmotivated to take advantage of it academically, although I did manage to graduate last semester. Mine obviously wasn't a typical college experience though. It really turned me off from the idea of grad school, too. I really can't think of anything that can so easily instantly put me in a depressing mood as hearing someone say how much of a blast college was and how it's the last time of your life to have that kind of experience etc etc, so this thread pretty much ruined my day. Thanks.

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 02-26-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-26-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate the work in college. I hate reading somebody's opinions in a textbook. I like hands on material the most (I like getting experience - not having to memorize material and have a test on it then forget it the next day).

Now the after school stuff I do like.

I won't be going for any further education after I get my B.S. (which can stand for two different things).
Old 02-26-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Highschool was a blast
College was a blast
Grad school was pretty good.
Old 02-26-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you, school, for making me the unsociable, cold, distant person that I am today.
Old 02-26-05, 10:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

College is when I really had fun. Freedom
Old 02-26-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Thank you, school, for making me the unsociable, cold, distant person that I am today.
But at least you know proper grammar!
Old 02-26-05, 10:59 PM
Banned

College ruled. The rest of it sucked.
Old 02-26-05, 11:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts
Middle school sucked.
High school was mostly good.
The first time at college was a blast.
The second time (currently pursuing a nursing degree) has quickly become the worst educational experience of my life. The teachers are horrible, teach fallacies, and are trying their best to fail us in a program that kicks you out if you make less than a 75% in any given class. They've sucked the desire to be an RN out of me. I'm on the verge of dropping out and falling back on my prior degree.