Anglican Church Splitting Over Gays? Anglican Church Asks U.S., Canada to Leave

Old 02-24-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anglican Church Splitting Over Gays? Anglican Church Asks U.S., Canada to Leave

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,148665,00.html
Anglican Church Asks U.S., Canada to Leave
Thursday, February 24, 2005

LONDON Leaders of the global Anglican Communion (search) declared Thursday that they want the U.S. Episcopal Church (search) and the Anglican Church of Canada (search ) to withdraw from the communion's councils temporarily, and to explain their attitudes toward gays which have split the church.

The statement was issued by primates a day earlier than planned, following their meetings this week at a Roman Catholic retreat in Northern Ireland.

The U.S. church precipitated the most serious rift in the communion's history when it affirmed the election of V. Gene Robinson (search ), who openly lives with a male partner, as bishop of New Hampshire. Both churches have been criticized by conservatives for sanctioning blessings of gay unions.

The statement emerged a day earlier than planned from a meeting of church primates in Northern Ireland. It called for the U.S. and Canadian churches to explain their thinking at a meeting in Nottingham, England in June.

"In the meantime, we ask our fellow primates to use their best influence to persuade their brothers and sisters to exercise a moratorium on public rites of blessing for same-sex unions and on the consecration of any bishop living in a sexual relationship outside Christian marriage," the statement said.
Old 02-24-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Primates?
Old 02-24-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Primates?
exactly... huh?
Old 02-24-05, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Primates?

Yes. It is somewhat similar to a Cardinal in the Catholic church, though more of a direct regional/national leader.
Old 02-24-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trigger
exactly... huh?
I had to look it up as I have not been in the Church for 40+ years. Each national Anglican Church is autonomous, but they have sort of a "UN" gathering. The Archbishop of Canterbury is the nominal spiritual leader but he does not have the same degree of authority as the Pope.
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_58736_ENG_HTM.htm
The 77-million-member Anglican Communion is made up of 38 autonomous or self-governing member churches or provinces in 164 countries worldwide. The Churches of the Anglican Communion exercise jurisdictional independence and are said to be united by affection and common loyalty.

The Primates' Meeting is one of the four instruments of unity in the Anglican Communion, the other three being the Archbishop of Canterbury, the once-a-decade Lambeth Conference and the Anglican Consultative Council (ACC), the Anglican Communion's main decision making body. Inter-Anglican polity is such that the Primates' Meeting does not act legislatively or unilaterally on behalf of the provinces.

Each province relates to other provinces within the Anglican Communion by being in full communion with the See of Canterbury. The Archbishop of Canterbury is therefore a unique focus of Anglican unity. He calls the Lambeth Conference, chairs the meeting of Primates, and is president of the ACC.

The term "primate" means senior archbishop or presiding bishop of a province in the Anglican Communion. In some provinces the primate is also called Archbishop and/or Metropolitan, while in others the term Presiding Bishop -- or as in Scotland, Primus -- is preferred. In some provinces the term is translated to their own language, such as Obispo Primado in the Province of the Southern Cone (South America).

In the United Churches of South Asia, the Moderators of the churches are invited to the Primates' Meetings by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Archbishop of Canterbury is recognized as the "primus inter pares," the first among equals and attendance at a Primates Meeting is by invitation from him.
Old 02-24-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My understanding of Anglican/Episcopal structure is that no one really has any power to do anything. You're an Episcopal Church if you say you are, and you belong to whatever Regional group you want to belong to. No decisions can have any teeth because there's no enforcement tools, and no one can issue anything other than recommendations and requests.
...we ask our fellow primates ...to persuade their brothers and sisters to exercise a moratorium on ...same-sex unions...

Please!! Stop the gay marriage!!

Damn you dirty apes.
Old 02-24-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
They had me at Primate. I just can't take them seriously anymore--like I ever did, but still.
Old 02-24-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adamblast
My understanding of Anglican/Episcopal structure is that no one really has any power to do anything. You're an Episcopal Church if you say you are, and you belong to whatever Regional group you want to belong to. No decisions can have any teeth because there's no enforcement tools, and no one can issue anything other than recommendations and requests.
Well, until they vote to kick you out, or don't invite you to the Communion any more..