Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How thick is (paint) primer supposed to be?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-17-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wanting to paint a wooden rack, but I think it'd be better to be primed first. I have some old Behr Premium Plus primer and sealer that my wife had before we got married, so it's at least a couple years old. The can was almost full. It didn't have the normal "skin" on top which usually makes me throw whatever it is away.

But it doesn't have the consistency of normal paint. Instead, it's almost like melted marshmallows, and was a bitch to stir. Is primer supposed to be thicker than regular paint? I've never used it before....
Old 02-17-05, 03:00 PM
Uber Member

It varies. If this isn't going to be any near a harsh environment (bathrooms or outdoors, or anywhere it'll be exposed to a lot of water) then I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it still paints on smoothly.

I've used primer that's been thinner than what you'd normally expect paint to be, as well as thicker. It can depend on the brand sometimes too.
Old 02-17-05, 03:13 PM
Banned

There are different kinds of primers, and it's somewhat important to make sure you have the right one. The primer is what's holding the paint on, and thus it's more important than the actual paint, most of the time.

For interior wood, use a water based primer, unless it's pine in which case you should use an oil based primer. If the wood is to stay outside, a thick oil or latex based primer will allow the wood to breathe more and prevent the paint from peeling due to varying weather conditions.

Also, primer, like paint, is sensitive to temperature. If this primer you have has been sitting outside in the garage, it may be thicker because it's cold. Let it warm up a day or two and see if that helps any.

And always, always, always sand the wood with a medium or fine grit sandpaper before priming. It makes a big difference in the final look of the thing.

Last edited by Otto; 02-17-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not supposed to be as thick as marshmellows. It is more or less the same thickness as paint. Is it oil based or latex? You might salvage it by thinning it with an appropriate thinner, but I'd be highly suspicious of whether it is going to perform well.
Old 02-17-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh... well.. I did pull it out of the garage before I tried to paint it, but it was in the upper 60's here. I'll see if the consistency has changed today that it has been indoors the whole time.

It's just for a little cd rack that my stepson wanted painted dark, we almost spraypainted it. But if the primer works, we'll use it on an "unfinished" shelf my wife wants painted to match the living room. It was difficult yesterday to make it "smooth", as you could see groove lines in the paint, but it seems to have dried better than it looked before. I'm not sure what kind of brush would be best. I'm trying a "medium" brush, but for a larger surface later I'm not sure what I'll want to use.
Old 02-17-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and btw... it is "water based". All items will be indoors.
Old 02-17-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If water based, try thinning with a little water. Maybe it will flow better. Add a small amount of water, stir well, evaluate consistency, repeat as needed. (it's a bitch to subtract water)
Old 02-17-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude
(it's a bitch to subtract water)