Reload this Page >

please recommend good high-performance tires

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-16-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not really satisfied with the tires that came with my G35, i'm looking to change...

the present ones are Bridgestone Turanza. they're ok in dry conditions, but when the roadway gets wet, they suck (especially with rear-wheel drive).

too many choices out there and i don't know if there are any tires that have been independently rated...a la consumer reports style.

can anyone offer any recommendations? and references to any such reports would be extremely helpful.

thanks
Old 02-16-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
tirerack.com ratings work well ...

I take it you want lower performance tires since you want them stickier in the wet.

Consumer Reports rated the Falken Ziex ZE-512 the number one tire. Naturally, the Tire Rack doesn't carry them, but you can check Vulcan Tire (http://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_t.htm) for the prices in that size. I have a set of 215/40-17's on my Contour SVT and they're great in the wet.
Old 02-16-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bridgestone Potenza SO3's - expensive, but very nice all around high performance tire.

edit: donít look at CR for rating tires.. that's like asking a McDonalds worker to explain to you the intricacies of tax law.

Last edited by Oraphus; 02-16-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 03:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sports. They seem like pretty good high-performance tires.
Old 02-16-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your Wheel size would be nice.

If you have 16's, get Toyo Z-rated Proxes.
Old 02-16-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sports. They seem like pretty good high-performance tires.
I have Micheline Pilot Sports on my Acura TL right now and would NOT recommend them. Mainly due to price vs performance and they are horrible in even the lightest snow. I will be replacing them shortly with some Yokohoma Avid's.
Old 02-16-05, 04:18 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by cseyer
I have Micheline Pilot Sports on my Acura TL right now and would NOT recommend them. Mainly due to price vs performance and they are horrible in even the lightest snow. I will be replacing them shortly with some Yokohoma Avid's.
You probably don't have the A/S which is the all-season version of the tire. The non-A/S ones are definitely not for snow.
Old 02-16-05, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Already mentioned, but go with Toyo.
Old 02-16-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
You probably don't have the A/S which is the all-season version of the tire. The non-A/S ones are definitely not for snow.
It is the all season version Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Even has a snow flake on the side. I was fooled by that, I have since read the tire rack reviews and I am not alone in my extreme dissapointment in the winter traction.

This is my exact tire
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I agree with most of the reviews and I wont be buying them again. Although I must say that in general I like Michelin tires, I put Hydroedges on my wife's Honda Odyssey and they are superb dry wet or slick.

Last edited by cseyer; 02-16-05 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 05:01 PM
X
Administrator

Look how bad that tire is rated (snow - 4.5, overall - 3.1 out of 10) compared with the Sport A/S (snow - 7.3, overall 8.3 out of 10).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS
Old 02-16-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for all the suggestions so far...

dvdpolizei, the size is 215/55R17, does that change your suggestions?
Old 02-16-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a set of Nitto 555R's, 305/45/18, going on my car in a week or two.

They arrived last week.

This is gonna be my first set of Nitto's. Hoping I like 'em.

I'd agree with many of the other brands listed.

I had a set of Yokohama AVS DB's on my 99 SHO and really liked 'em. They lasted about 40K too...and that included several track events.
Old 02-16-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Oraphus
Bridgestone Potenza SO3's - expensive, but very nice all around high performance tire.

edit: donít look at CR for rating tires.. that's like asking a McDonalds worker to explain to you the intricacies of tax law.

I strongly agree with S-03's. I have a set and i go canyon running. the best grip i've had so far.

I've had yoko avs sport, stiff sidewall, but traction.
Old 02-16-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't think those come in the size i need, is that correct?
Old 02-16-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you might be able to run a slightly taller/wider tire without rubbing.

This place has the cheapest so3's that i've been able to find..
http://discounttiredirect.com/direct...%2FPerformance

215/40/17 might work for you..
I run them on my M3 and it's the best all weather tire i'v tried..exceptional when dry and wet... and i'v tried a few. Only negative being they dont last too long with spirited driving/autocrosses. 10-20k depending on your driving style.. it would last longer if you dont do autocrosses

Last edited by Oraphus; 02-16-05 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oraphus, i have an infiniti g35 sedan
Old 02-16-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slateef
oraphus, i have an infiniti g35 sedan
yeah sorry.. i re-read your post after and noticed it.. and then deleted the question..
look around some message boards for the g35... you should be able to easily find the bigest tires/sizes you can get without rubbing.
Old 02-16-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
Look how bad that tire is rated (snow - 4.5, overall - 3.1 out of 10) compared with the Sport A/S (snow - 7.3, overall 8.3 out of 10).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS

Yep those look way better, unfortunately they dont come in my size. I need a 215/50 17 anything bigger rubs in the back, Ive tried. I wish I could find a place to roll my back fenders out then I could get something a little wider.
Old 02-16-05, 09:44 PM
X
Administrator

I take 285/40-17 for the rears and they're fairly expensive - $308 each.

Estimated Availability: 05/01/05?
Old 02-16-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The hot setup for these cars is currently the Falken Azeni Sports in 245/45/17. You can get them from Vulcan Tire at a reasonable price, and Discount Tire Company will match their prices.

I have used many of the tires mentioned above, and where I haven't, I've used higher performance tires by the same manufacturer. With the exception of the Yokohama A032R (a true racing tire that can be driven on the street with tradeoffs of excessive noise and wear), nothing compares to these tires. You'll be hard pressed to find anything stickier that isn't a race tire.

Understand, you will not get tens of thousands of miles out of these tires. However, you won't get tens of thousands of miles out of any decent performance tire, and at those prices, you can replace the Azenis twice. I typically get 15k out of mine, and I drive them hard.

Also, the G35 has a lot of power. Not Corvette horsepower, but certainly Mustang GT power. No matter what tire you put on it, you are going to have problems putting power to the ground when it's wet. You'll also notice the difference between wet and dry traction more with performance tires, even though they are more capable than ordinary street tires. Also, wide tires typically don't like wet conditions, and you'll find slick areas (like painted traffic lines) to be even more slick. Again, it's an illusion, but because the limits are so high, the dropoff becomes more noticeable.

To illustrate this, let's say that 100 represents maximum traction and 0 represents zero traction. Let's also say that rain causes a dropoff in traction of 75% in performance tires and 80% in regular tires. The performance tire is a 100, and the economy tire is, let's say, a 50. In the wet, the performance tire drops to 25, and the economy tire drops to just 10. You really notice the dropoff in the performance tire, because you just went down 75 points in traction. You will notice the difference in the economy tire, but it's not as severe because it's an apparent drop of only about half as much -- even though percentage wise, it's higher. Plus, you're probably used to pushing on the performance tires, and you'll find that you can't push like that when it's wet. Whereas with the economy tires and car, you've probably never even gotten near the limit -- so the dropoff is even closer to transparent.
Old 02-16-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

toyo t1s and goodyear f1's are also good choices. toyos give great performance for the price.
Old 02-17-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I take 285/40-17 for the rears and they're fairly expensive - $308 each.

Estimated Availability: 05/01/05?

Wow thats pricey. I would pay it if they are as good as the reviews state though.
Old 02-17-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally Posted by einTier
The hot setup for these cars is currently the Falken Azeni Sports in 245/45/17. You can get them from Vulcan Tire at a reasonable price, and Discount Tire Company will match their prices.
If you drive Azenis in the rain, you are a moran.
Old 02-17-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by weargle
If you drive Azenis in the rain, you are a moran.
Care to elaborate? I drive my Azenis in the rain. No problems. My wife drives on Azenis or A032Rs in the rain. No problems.

My A032Rs were the stickiest thing I'd ever ridden on in the rain -- and wet autocross times back me up on that -- but I still got tons of people saying they were "suicide" in the wet. The Azenis are the preferred autocross street tire, wet or dry, and lap times back that up as well.

If you drive any tire in the wet the way you do in the dry, you're asking for trouble. As I mentioned above, people don't fully realize the drop off in performance on normal tires, but they really notice it on high-performance tires. I also know of a guy who lost control of his car while turning (at a high rate of speed) across a painted crosswalk -- he didn't anticipate the crosswalk would be much more slippery than the pavement. Had he been driving on normal tires, he still would have lost traction, but since the traction wasn't as high to begin with, the dropoff would have been less noticeable. He also probably wouldn't have been turning nearly as sharply, quickly, and he probably would have been going much slower.

A good performance tire will outperform a mediocre tire wet or dry, but if you're expecting to grip as well in the wet as you do in the dry, you'll end up in a world of hurt. If you're going to drive your performance car in the rain, you've got to be smart about it. If you can't be smart, then take the Camry and leave the G35 in the garage.

Now, if slateef has to drive in snow, then no, I can't suggest the Azenis. Performance tires aren't snow tires, and lose a LOT of grip in the extreme cold. Better to buy a tire that is made to grip when the temperature is low. However, considering he's asking for rain tires and not snow tires, and that winter is almost over, I don't think he has anything to worry about.
Old 02-17-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
toyo t1s ... toyos give great performance for the price.
No, they really don't. Compared to the Azeni Sports and the Yokohoma A032R, they cost more, grip less, and wear as fast (A032R) or faster (Azeni).

They are a good tire, don't get me wrong, but not a great one. I bought one set, I will never buy another.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.