Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with this home gym?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-14-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife wants a new home gym and she saw an infomercial on the Chuck Norris machine.. Upon looking on eBay we found this one that is similar but much cheaper.. It's $400 shipped.. Does anyone have one of these or know if they are any good? Worth the money? Something better for the money??

Any comments wanted..

Thanks!
Old 02-14-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Frankly, that piece of equipment is a waste of money. For 400 bucks you can get a barbell and some plates and work out pretty much your entire body much better than that machine allows you to.

Take my word for it. And if you don't take my word for it, you'll be throwing 400 bucks out the window.

If you don't believe me, let me know - and i'll argue why it's bad.
Old 02-14-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would say to put that $400 into "joining the gym fund."

sure the home gym is easily accessable but there are no alternatives than the real thing. I've had a home gym before and it sucked. plus if you go during non-peak hours (9am-4pm) the gym is nice and quiet.
Old 02-14-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

I would second getting a set of dumbells and a simple bench.
Old 02-14-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We already have a bench and dumbells (ie free weights).. My wife doesn't like free weights... I'm a skinny guy so I'm major self conscious (sp) about going to gym's...

Please agrue why Parcher..

Thanks for the comments y'all.

EDIT TO ADD - So is the Bowflex junk too?
Old 02-14-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
if you want the chuck norris thing, get this knock off for $100
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=135070
I have it and have watched one of the norris infomercials and this one will do everything he did in the infomercial
Old 02-14-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by tbird2340

EDIT TO ADD - So is the Bowflex junk too?
SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!

Oh well. You didn't know any better.
Old 02-14-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
if you want the chuck norris thing, get this knock off for $100
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=135070
I have it and have watched one of the norris infomercials and this one will do everything he did in the infomercial
So do you like it?
Old 02-14-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I like it. it definitely works the muscles when it is set at a high incline. or you can do a low incline and go faster for a more aerobic type workout.
my problem is that I'm lazy and don't use it much, but it is in no way due to the equipment, just my laziness
Old 02-14-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

krdave> I still love you

Mike> there's no reason to do anything resembling an aerobic work out with resistance training. It just does not have a purpose. If the goal is the benefits of cardiovascular activities, then one ought to do those activies - run, jog, dance around, whatever.
As far as strength and size go, aerobic stimulation is futile

I would say to put that $400 into "joining the gym fund."
Sound advice In fact you might find a decent gym -not a pop-gym with nice girls and treadmills and aerobic teams, but barbells, dumbbells, racks, benches, cable towers, plates, etc, etc - for much less than 400$ a year. Often athletic facilities have training rooms available that you can use for very little money. I currently pay 12 dollars a month and the place has it all - except machines, which we all know are useless.

I've seen the same informercial, and it's total crap - my mom, in a temporary state of insanity, bought the total Gym - I've tried it, and it really is bad. The informercial is full of misinformation and myths, it's unbelieveable.

Bowflex junk too?
Yes it's class A crap and more useful for drying clothes on than working out.
do a little searching and you'll find some more in-depth arguments from my side.

Again, search - they are not that different.
But off the top of my head, it's a waste of money simply because the resistance is too weak (you'll very quickly find yourself doing many reps with the heaviest weight the machine allows) and you'll stagnate. you simply won't grow. Other than that, the exercises it allows you to do are very, very inoptimal - the cable flyes for the chest, for example, compare in NO way to any kind of bench press. It will do little more than waste your time.
Old 02-14-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no personal experience with that particular piece of equipment, but for 400.00 it appears you could do much better. !st option would be to join a gym, 2nd option would be to purchase a 3 station gym. You can usually find them on sale for about 399.00 through Sears.
Old 02-14-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Parcher
krdave> I still love you

Good. I need the love.
Old 02-14-05, 05:34 PM

I will disagree with everyone else here: I have bought tons of workout equipment over the years and the one item I have kept throughout has been the Total Gym. I find it is a great way to firm up, and I notice significant improvements when I use it regularly. I am female, so I like that it uses your body weight for resistance, and I also like how you have a wide range of movement, allowing you to workout different muscles at the same time.

If you were a serious bodybuilder, it might not be a good investment, but for the average person I think it is a great way to do resistance training.
Old 02-14-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I will disagree with everyone else here: I have bought tons of workout equipment over the years and the one item I have kept throughout has been the Total Gym. I find it is a great way to firm up, and I notice significant improvements when I use it regularly. I am female, so I like that it uses your body weight for resistance, and I also like how you have a wide range of movement, allowing you to workout different muscles at the same time.

If you were a serious bodybuilder, it might not be a good investment, but for the average person I think it is a great way to do resistance training.

The Total Gym is an awful piece of equipment, whether or not you're Arnold Schwarzenegger or John Doe trying to "shape up".

The Total Gym ought to live in shame in light (or dark?) of the mighty destruction Chuck Norris has wrought.
The simple fact that the infomercial is full of lies and misinformation ought to steer anyone away from this product. In NO way would I recommend the total gym to ANYONE.

Why are people so attracted to the whole "body weight"? As if it were some magic formula? :?:
Old 02-15-05, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Total Gym is an awful piece of equipment, whether or not you're Arnold Schwarzenegger or John Doe trying to "shape up".
The funny thing is, I have been to two different physical therapy clinics in the past year, both of them attached to (see: run by) orthopedic and sports medicine practices, and both use the Total Gym as a part of their rehab equipment. I had to use it every session as part of back and knee rehab.
Old 02-15-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JustinS
The funny thing is, I have been to two different physical therapy clinics in the past year, both of them attached to (see: run by) orthopedic and sports medicine practices, and both use the Total Gym as a part of their rehab equipment. I had to use it every session as part of back and knee rehab.
how was the equipment? my folks were thinking about getting one.

what happened to your knee? I sprained some ligaments in my left knee last Monday. I have to start some rehad soon myself. Any good exercise advice?
Old 02-15-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Frankly, that piece of equipment is a waste of money. For 400 bucks you can get a barbell and some plates and work out pretty much your entire body much better than that machine allows you to.
I agree totally, except that for $400 you might be able to get a simple rack and bench along with the bar and plates.

A lot of resistence to purchasing real fitness equipment is "I don't want to look like a bodybuilder," which is just insulting to the thousands of folks who pour in the effort day in and day out in order to become one, and "I just want to tone up," as if the person saying this had any idea of how to achieve that look.

People think if they do high volume routines and avoid challenging weight they will succeed. They buy the machines that promise to be so easy, extert some effort, become sweaty, and then exclaim, "gee, what a great workout!" as if achievement and progress were determined by the equation

[Hrs. Working Out * L. Sweat Produced + Repetitions * Intensity of Burn] / Difficulty = Success!

The truth is, to get toned, you must become stronger. Becoming stronger does NOT require becoming larger. Strength increases result in denser, harder [IE toned] muscles. Strength is achieved by using heavy weight often. High volume, if anything, will promote the growth of blood vessels in the muscles, making them appear larger [sarcoplasmic hypertrophy].

Here's a simple equation for getting toned

[Load * Workout Frequency] * Quality of Diet / Other Activities That Aren't Rest = Strength = Tone

where Workout Frequency = [Load / Volume] * [Days / 1 Week].