Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The first 30 minutes of a session...

Old 01-04-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first 30 minutes of a session...

i'm not quite sure why this is, but i seem to play my worst poker the first 30 minutes of a session. quite frequently i will blow off a bit of $ that first 30 minutes and then spend the next hour making it up...

anyone have any good devices to stop yourself from making stupid moves before you have time to get in a good grove and mindset?
Old 01-04-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I play nekkid.

You ever notice it's easier to dig yourself out of a hole than to make the same $ on the plus side?
Old 01-04-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah why is that. haha.
Old 01-04-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had to dig myself out of a nice hole last night.

I was quickly down $180 in about a 1/2 hour. Dug myself out and ended the session an hour and a half later on the plus side by $3.

I was getting some good starting hands, great flops, against semi-loose players that seemed to be hitting straights/flushes left and right for that first 1/2 hour. I knew with a little patience and solid play they'd give it back sooner or later the way they were playing.

As for "getting in the good mindset", I think a lot of variances come from getting a feel for how the others play and adjusting accordingly. That takes a few rounds of betting. Yes you can still do well in the beginning....but you have a BIGGER advantage after you figure out the style of certain players at the table. So if your initial play is consistently hurting that bad, maybe you could just observe the table for a while first?
Old 01-04-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that a lot of people, myself included, often find themselves down early in a game because they jump right in without first understanding the texture of the game or the players. While it's easy to jump in and play the premium hands that you would normally do, it's your post-flop play that will ultimately make or break your bankroll. Until you have some knowledge of the players your up against, it's hard to know how best to extract money from them while keeping your own. For example, during the first orbit, it's hard to know who is likely to limp with monster preflop hands like AA or AK. After playing several hands most decent players begin to pick up on habits of other players and will adjust their play to take advantages of weaknesses. What I try to do is at least watch one complete orbit before putting my money in the pot. This gives me a bit of time to watch the other players and see if I can spot weaknesses that I may be able to attack rather than blindly jump in with my chips.
Old 01-04-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i agree with both of those posts...

in addition i am feeling like my play is often poor starting a session. not just that i'm lacking information. i think i make some bad decisions craving to take down a pot or 2 early when i should just be waiting for a better opportunity. after playing a while and actually taking down a couple pots, this action crave goes down i guess and i can settle into my better game.

this doesn't always happen... just sometimes. but frequent enough that it bothers me. a while back i was forcing myself to read a chapter in a poker book, or read a couple cardplayer articles before i started a session to get myself in the right mindset. perhaps i need to begin doing this again. i also think perhaps i should note significant wins/losses in a session and go back and review those specific hands before starting my next session. perhaps that would help as well.
Old 01-04-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ no need to respond to that i guess. mainly just trying to put down my thoughts in hopes of patching a hole.
Old 01-04-05, 11:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

You're a better poker player than me Moorehed, would it make sense to try and feel a table out first before you get balls deep into various hands with people you are unfamiliar with? Like play the BB and everything else play tighter depending on your position?
Old 01-05-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah that would make sense... i think i do the opposite though, by playing looser because i want some action right away. or maybe i just enjoy the challenge of digging out of holes - which i did very successfully last night I might add.
Old 01-05-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking alcohol might have something to do with it. A half-hour is about right for the first two shooters.

You're really a crappy player when you're sober.
Old 01-05-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hahah.
Old 01-05-05, 06:53 PM

I think this 30 minute thing jinxed me.

Just found myself in a $100 hole in about 25 minutes.

(.....luckily I climbed out of it, and now a little on the plus side, for now)
Old 01-05-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah i tried my reading strategy again... read for 30 mins, tried to prime my mind... found myself quickly down about 75. now an hour later i'm back up 25. time to rest up for the challenge

i can thank a guy who didn't raise his aces pre flop, but capped the turn and river after i hit my straight for some of the comeback.
Old 01-05-05, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by moorehed
yeah i tried my reading strategy again... read for 30 mins, tried to prime my mind... found myself quickly down about 75. now an hour later i'm back up 25. time to rest up for the challenge

i can thank a guy who didn't raise his aces pre flop, but capped the turn and river after i hit my straight for some of the comeback.
Yeah, I was killing time before the tournament, and for some reason, this guy kept rasing to the cap every round.
I had pocket A's, with another A on the flop. And NO FLUSH OR STRAIGHT DRAW.
That pot alone was around $90.
Old 01-05-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you're still killing time, look me up (KingMoore) my table right now is rediculous.
Old 01-05-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm getting warmed up for the Big Event, too.

Did I mention I play nekkid?
Old 01-05-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

where are you at?
Old 01-05-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chapter 2, where the guy gets in a B&D gig with two lesbians.
Old 01-05-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the action is great on table Balaton if you are interested when you finish up over there.
Old 01-05-05, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by moorehed
if you're still killing time, look me up (KingMoore) my table right now is rediculous.
Just found you, but there is a waiting list for your table.

I'll keep an eye out for you, and in the meantime probably sit down at a 6 player table (silentbob924)
Old 01-05-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this guy AI1974 is seeing every flop and betting hard with nothing every other hand, calling down with nothing the others.
Old 01-05-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but you gotta admit, pocket 7s UTG was certainly a raising hand.
Old 01-05-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

he left to go play in a rebuy tourney.. what fun is that.

i do wish PS had a buddy list alert thing that would tell me when "buddies" were online.
Old 01-05-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you know... i would think an external program could query PS for players and get that info..... hmmm...
Old 01-05-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just made 5 bucks on a .25/.50 stud/8 game. So much for my luck tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.