Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone else not getting Howard Stern today?

Old 01-03-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else not getting Howard Stern today?

he's not on the air here today..just their usual crappy rap music!
Old 01-03-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's on sirius sat. radio now.
Old 01-03-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

he`s on "live"in NY.....92.3 KRock.

FM....not Sirius.
Old 01-03-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asabase
He's on sirius sat. radio now.

sirius starts 1 year from now
Old 01-03-05, 07:32 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by namrufmot
he's not on the air here today..just their usual crappy rap music!
You're in RI - did you listen to him on HJY? Howard was talking this mlorning about the owner of that station pulling him off the air because he (the station owner) is pissed off about Howard's move to Sirius. Howard was making fun of the guy for awhile.
Old 01-03-05, 07:35 AM

yeah the syracuse, providence, york pa, and grand rapids stations aren't playing him today.

Try picking him up on BCN from Boston, I think its 104.1
Old 01-03-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by quackers
york pa
If you are referring to 105.7 WQXA, I would like to know what's up. They stopped having him on sometime in the last two or three weeks.
Old 01-03-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
sirius starts 1 year from now

Doh, with all this talk about him moving, I thought it was starting this year.
Old 01-03-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What station do you listen to him on? I heard him fine on 102.9 and 104.1
Old 01-03-05, 07:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
If you are referring to 105.7 WQXA, I would like to know what's up. They stopped having him on sometime in the last two or three weeks.
Same thing. As soon as they started the "Best Of" shows during the holiday break, the station owner pulled the show in all the above-mentioned markets.

You should be able to pull in 94YSP with a good radio.
Old 01-03-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Same thing. As soon as they started the "Best Of" shows during the holiday break, the station owner pulled the show in all the above-mentioned markets.
Well that just sucks.
Old 01-03-05, 08:12 AM
Banned

I've never gotten Howard Stern. I mean, he's not funny, he's not interesting, why do people care? I find shock jock bullshit to be annoying, mostly.
Old 01-03-05, 08:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Otto
I've never gotten Howard Stern.

That's okay, but there are millions who love his show - myself included. Even people who don't like to listen to him are rightly appalled at what the FCC has done to his employer, which prompted his impending move to satellite radio.

Last edited by Bandoman; 01-03-05 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I've never gotten Howard Stern. I mean, he's not funny, he's not interesting, why do people care? I find shock jock bullshit to be annoying, mostly.
Then why post in here?
Old 01-03-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

So like everything in the field of entertainment, it comes down to personal taste?
Old 01-03-05, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Then why post in here?
Because he asked if somebody wasn't getting Howard Stern. I don't get Howard Stern. Duh?
Old 01-03-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by quackers
yeah the syracuse, providence, york pa, and grand rapids stations aren't playing him today.

Try picking him up on BCN from Boston, I think its 104.1
The group that owns those stations is Citidel Communications. About a month ago they got fed up with Stern promoting Sirius so much so they started bleeping him whenever he did and they cut him off at 10AM sharp, even if the show wasn't over. Then when he went on vacation they pulled his "best of"s on the Syracuse station and replaced him with a delayed and sanitized version of Opie and Anthony's XM show. Last I heard Citidel was contracutally bound to return Howard to the air once he did live shows, and their PR said that was going to happen, but it appears not to have.

O&A were hinting that Citidel was going to break the contract and 'send Howard a bill", but that was before citidel said they would continue airing Howard when he returned from vacation.
Old 01-03-05, 09:15 AM
Banned

That's okay, but there are millions who love his show - myself included. Even people who don't like to listen to him are rightly appalled at what the FCC has done to his employer, which prompted his impending move to satellite radio.
What the FCC should have done to his employer was to revoke their license and shut them the fuck down, along with anybody else airing his show. The FCC has jurisdiction over the airwaves, they set the rules, the rules apply to everybody equally, and when you break the rules they should nail your ass to the wall for it. Simple as that.

I support the FCC fully on that particular score.
Old 01-03-05, 09:18 AM
Enormous Genitals

What the FCC should have done to his employer was to revoke their license and shut them the fuck down, along with anybody else airing his show. The FCC has jurisdiction over the airwaves, they set the rules, the rules apply to everybody equally, and when you break the rules they should nail your ass to the wall for it. Simple as that.

The FCC is selectively enforcing it's ill-defined "rules". If Howard should be shut down, then so should Oprah.
Old 01-03-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe some of us don't think it should the FCC's job to enforce morality.
Old 01-03-05, 09:19 AM
Banned

The FCC is selectively enforcing it's ill-defined "rules". If Howard should be shut down, then so should Oprah.
No argument here. I don't much like Oprah either.
Old 01-03-05, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Maybe some of us don't think it should the FCC's job to enforce morality.
Then bitch to Congress, because they clearly think it is and have delegated the power to do so to the FCC. However you think should be, that is not how it is, and unless you are bitching at Congress to change that fact, you're not really helping.

Telling me does nothing unless you're just looking for an argument, because I happen to think it *is* the FCC's place to enforce a moral standard on the airwaves. If you want to go beyond that standard, then you can get that by going to satellite radio, cable, ppv, etc.. The FCC has no jurisdiction over the content of these.

Last edited by Otto; 01-03-05 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Then bitch to Congress, because they clearly think it is and have delegated the power to do so to the FCC. However you think should be, that is not how it is, and unless you are bitching at Congress to change that fact, you're not really helping.

Telling me does nothing unless you're just looking for an argument, because I happen to think it *is* the FCC's place to enforce a moral standard on the airwaves. If you want to go beyond that standard, then you can get that by going to satellite radio, cable, ppv, etc.. The FCC has no jurisdiction over the content of these.

I'm surprised that this is coming from you.

BTW I have bitched to Congress. Am I now allowed to bitch here about it?
Old 01-03-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get Howard at all. :shrugs:
Old 01-03-05, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm surprised that this is coming from you.

BTW I have bitched to Congress. Am I now allowed to bitch here about it?
Nah, bitch all you like. The Otter Farm is good for that.

And why are you surprised? The fact of the matter is that there's a limited amount of radio spectrum. I'd rather not have it all filled up with shock jocks morons like Stern, thank you very much.

Yes, freedom of speech, but freedom of speech only works when everybody has a chance to speak. There's not enough space on the dial for everybody to speak up, so creating a situation where foul mouthed morons rule the airwaves doesn't seem all that bright.

I may disagree with the specific moral standard that the FCC enforces, but I agree with the need to enforce a standard of some sort.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.