Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What business class should I take next semester?

Old 01-02-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What business class should I take next semester?

so a little background here to my question.
I have a BA in Political Science and I work in a job that makes usage of accounting. For a while I thought about pursuing a masters in accounting and since my company has a good education reimbursement policy, I took Financial and Managerial accounting this past semester (and thankfully got good enough grades to get 100% reimbursement!). Anyhow, I've decided that I'm not going to pursue the masters in accounting as I just didn't really dig accounting but I want to take more business classes (possibly for a second bachelor's or just to gussy up my resume and fill in what I didn't take as an undergrad and to gussy up my resume). Anyhow, I'm going to take one class next semester and at this point I'm thinking either an intro Finance or Management. Any thoughts?
Old 01-02-05, 10:03 PM
X
Administrator

I'd recommend Singapore Airlines business class.
Old 01-02-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bah. Fly coach and spend the savings on DVDs.
Old 01-02-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finance will teach you more hard skills. Management may look good on your resume, but generally has low practical value. I'd say if you're taking one class, I'd go with accounting (cost accounting, if available), finance, or marketing. Throw in IS or statistics/operations research if they're applicable to what you do.
Old 01-02-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cool thanks for the info. I was thinking finance would be the way to go. A friend of mine took cost last semester so I've had some exposure to it just from talking with her and alot of it sounded similar to things I did in managerial accounting. At the same time since part of the reason for me doing this is for resume building management might be worthwhile.
thanks for the tips though, I'm gonna have to run this by some coworkers to see what they think.
Old 01-02-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let me clarify my thoughts on the management class - don't bother. I took pretty much all the business classes that were offered, and I'm currently a manager who interviews about 10 people/month. I thought the management class was pretty worthless when I took it, and I think it's pretty worthless when I see it on a resume.

You definitely need managerial accounting before taking cost (usually 2 semesters of M.A.), but cost is definitely more complicated. Basic accounting is useful for everyone in a business setting, IMO.

If you want to know what will make your managers take notice, ask them. They'll tell you what they think will be the most useful.
Old 01-02-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nunya?