Colorado signs law kicking slow drivers out of the fast lane

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-28-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.9news.com/storyfull.aspx?storyid=22138

DENVER – Drive on the right, pass on the left. Driving schools around the country have preached it for years. Colorado’s legislature could soon make it law.

The Colorado State Patrol is driving the effort.

They hope declaring the left lane a passing lane, road rage will decrease and make highway driving generally safer in Colorado.

State lawmakers will take up the topic next month.

The state patrol wants a measure that would allow officers to ticket those whose rate of speed in the left lane blocks normal flow of traffic. That leads to road rage and accidents.

The current law does not allow officers to pull over and ticket drivers who go too slowly in the left lane.

The proposal comes as a direct result of one woman’s frustration along I-25.

As the daughter of a mechanic, Liz Darling grew up around driving.

“I love to drive, I like the feel of it. I like the freedom of it,” she said.

Travel along I-25 near her Niwot home hasn’t been much fun lately.

“All it takes is two vehicles going approximately the same speed and you've blocked up traffic,” Darling added.

This time, it’s Darling who is driving a little under the speed limit in the left lane, a perfectly legal practice in Colorado.

“This person's wondering ‘why are you in this lane?’ He's passing me on the right,” Darling said as another car passed her on the right.

Too often, she has been the one stuck behind a slow left lane driver and trying to pass. She wants Colorado lawmakers to do something about it.

“We are trying to establish a safer environment on the highway,” Rep. Alice Madden D-Boulder said. “This bill would basically tell people you drive in the right hand lane, you go into the left lane to pass.”

Madden has seen the problem herself and heard the state patrol’s message to those who create unsafe conditions by using the left lane as a driving lane.

“Guess what, you need to move over,” Madden explained.

Darling agrees, saying it’s a simple change to Colorado law that can solve this problem.

Under Madden’s proposal, drivers blocking the flow of traffic by using the left lane would be subject to a Class A traffic offense. That is a ticket ranging from $15 to $100 with no points off your license.

The issue has bipartisan support and is expected to come up shortly after state lawmakers return to work in January.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I have to say is.............it's 'bout damn time!!! CNN reporting that it has been signed into law. California needs this law badly. Too many stupid people who don't realize there are 9 cars tailgating them in the fast lane because the are going 60 MPH.
Old 12-28-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every state needs this. I love the German system. They fine drivers heavily for cruising in the left lane on the Autobahn.
Old 12-28-04, 03:03 PM

I regularly drive to Colorado, and you can always tell that you've passed the state line because suddenly there's people cruising in the passing lane at 45mph.
Old 12-28-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This should become a national law.
Old 12-28-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Illinois already has such a law, it went into effect about a year ago or so. Illinois law already stated that on Interstate highways a vehicle must drive in the right lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. But obviously not everybody followed this, so the law was made that stated that you cannot drive slow in the left lane if it causes congestion, with the following exceptions:

a. when passing another vehicle
b. when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane,
c. when traffic conditions and congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane;
d. when snow or other inclement weather conditions make it necessary to drive in the left lane;
e. when obstructions or hazards exist in the right lane;
f. when approaching an emergency vehicle or highway construction area;
g. when exiting the highway from the left lane;
h. when it is necessary to use I-PASS or to comply with an official traffic control device; or
i. when changing lanes to avoid law enforcement vehicles, emergency vehicles, highway maintenance vehicles, and workers or personnel.

And it only applies to interstates. Still, it was nice.
Old 12-28-04, 03:20 PM
Banned

I was under the impression that this was already the law in most states, but that it wasn't enforced much. I know that you can be pulled over in many states for driving in the left lane for too long.
Old 12-28-04, 03:21 PM
Banned

possibly, the sanest law this upcoming year Too bad it's not in SF yet.
There are way way too many stupid drivers in San Franfrisko clogging up the road by snail pacing on the left lane.
Old 12-28-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to Colorado, smart people out there.
Old 12-28-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heat
Illinois already has such a law, it went into effect about a year ago or so. Illinois law already stated that on Interstate highways a vehicle must drive in the right lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. But obviously not everybody followed this, so the law was made that stated that you cannot drive slow in the left lane if it causes congestion, with the following exceptions:

a. when passing another vehicle
b. when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane,
c. when traffic conditions and congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane;
d. when snow or other inclement weather conditions make it necessary to drive in the left lane;
e. when obstructions or hazards exist in the right lane;
f. when approaching an emergency vehicle or highway construction area;
g. when exiting the highway from the left lane;
h. when it is necessary to use I-PASS or to comply with an official traffic control device; or
i. when changing lanes to avoid law enforcement vehicles, emergency vehicles, highway maintenance vehicles, and workers or personnel.

And it only applies to interstates. Still, it was nice.
I'm still waiting for the day for this sonofabitch to actually be enforced.
Old 12-28-04, 03:40 PM

This has been a law in Texas for a while.

It is hardly ever followed, and enforced even less. But, then again, it could be enforced regulary, and I just don't know about it. It just seems like there are still people who will cruise in the left lane for miles until you have to change lanes to get past.

Actually, I think my grandmother was issued a warning for this several years ago when she was in the middle of nowhere on I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. She learned to never cruise in that lane again.
Old 12-28-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
If they wanted to give the law some teeth they could time how long you're in the left lane and then, if you exceed the appropriate time, they blow out your fricken tires causing you to pull over to change...
Old 12-28-04, 04:14 PM
Banned

If only every state could be so smart.
Old 12-28-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have a similar law in Washington. They even have road signs about it. It doesn't matter.
Old 12-28-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do people not understand when a driver behind them is riding their ass?
Old 12-28-04, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Agreed. While the law is good, it doesn't seem to be enforced. Nor do drivers seems to be aware of the law.
Old 12-28-04, 04:43 PM
Banned

I've always thought that it would be a good idea to inform ignorant drivers of the minor traffic laws with highway road signs. They could say things like:

"Hey morons, do you know that it is illegal to drive with just your parking lights on?"

or

"Do you smoking pigs realize that throwing your butts out the window constitutes littering?"
Old 12-28-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Do people not understand when a driver behind them is riding their ass?
I agree that people should respect the left lane, but tailgating pisses me off regardless of the circumstances.

The majority of time I have people tailgating me is when I'm doing 85 with a car directly in front of me. Invariably, the infuriated, impatient little asshole then tries to pass on the right and gets stuck behind slower moving traffic. Why can't some people understand that you simply cannot go faster than traffic is flowing without driving dangerously?

Sometimes, when traffic is heavy (this is pretty much always around Chicago), the left lane is a perpetual passing lane. You cruise in the left lane because there's always slower moving traffic to pass. At that point, these laws do more harm than good.
Old 12-28-04, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Green Jello
I've always thought that it would be a good idea to inform ignorant drivers of the minor traffic laws with highway road signs.
Okay wise guy, why the fuck does my road sign say "How Daddy Is Doing"?
Old 12-28-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In my completely random and unscientific experience on our nation's roadways, it seems that Ohio, Connecticut and Florida have the worst offenders. But Indiana is plenty bad, too.
Old 12-28-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Okay wise guy, why the fuck does my road sign say "How Daddy Is Doing"?
I recommend you give the sign a hug.
Old 12-28-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the only way people will follow this law if they start executing offenders... ahh yes..
I have a dream... and in that dream, people of all races can pass on the left lane without being stuck behind some moron that feel he is entitled to drive 65, which also happens to be exactly the same speed as the car in the right lane next to him/her.
we can all dream, can't we...
Old 12-28-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I agree that people should respect the left lane, but tailgating pisses me off regardless of the circumstances...
My #1 driving pet peeve by far.
Old 12-28-04, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by movielib
My #1 driving pet peeve by far.
Yep me too. Everytime someone does this I want to get out of my car and shove my foot straight up their rear end.
Old 12-28-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.

Keep waiting. That shit is not gonna happen.
Old 12-28-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nevermind
Keep waiting. That shit is not gonna happen.
I should have said I stopped waiting a long time ago for the s.o.b. to be enforced.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.