Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 12-16-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard good things about Settlers Of Catan and would like to pick it up. Does anyone know any B&M's that sell it or am I stuck with a net purchase?
Old 12-16-04, 01:21 PM

We like the old standby, Trivial Pursuit. Whenever we have a big family gettogether (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc), we all sit down at the kitchen table and have a big teams game of TP. We range in age from 18 to 75, so it's a lot of fun mixing knowledge from different generations.
Old 12-16-04, 01:24 PM

I've Settlers of Catan at Nord's games, but there's only a few of them around--Johnson City, TN, Birmingham, AL and Cincinnati, OH. I'm sure a decent local gaming specialty shop would have them
Old 12-16-04, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I've heard good things about Settlers Of Catan and would like to pick it up. Does anyone know any B&M's that sell it or am I stuck with a net purchase?
Try going here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=company/locator

If you get some local hits, it is likely they will have the Settlers games and much more. Worth a shot
Old 12-16-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The game of choice for my family for the past 15-20 years has been Rummikub.
Old 12-16-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
Last year I got her to play Monopoly instead. Problem is that she doesn't do too well at those sort of games because she's not a very competitive player.
Does aggressiveness count in Monopoly? It seems like a pretty placid game. Almost all of the strategy is in which properties to buy and when to build them up. Usually comes down to luck, anyway.

- David Stein
Old 12-16-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pictionary
Old 12-16-04, 02:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Cranium, i like -- requires drawing, trivia, word puzzles, molding clay, and charades. Scene-It is pretty fun too. it requires a DVD player.
Old 12-16-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scattagories!
Old 12-16-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005EB9Z/002-1862130-2528060?v=glance This was one of my all-time favorite games growing up, but I didn't list it because it has been OOP for probably 20-25 years. Though it is being reproduced, and is definately worth picking up.

-pedagogue
Spoiler:
Your link is screwed up

I love Acquire too. Unfortunately, no one else in my family does. We've still got the original circa ~1952 or so at my parents' house.

Other family favorites:
Boggle - Master Edition
Snafooey
Spite and Malice
Catch Phrase
Dominoes (Fives version)
I love Monopoly too, but that too is not a family favorite
Old 12-16-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cygnet74
Cranium, i like -- requires drawing, trivia, word puzzles, molding clay, and charades. Scene-It is pretty fun too. it requires a DVD player.

Cranium is a great game. Thing about Pictionary is people who can't draw well might be turned off by it (like me!), whereas Cranium can have different team members do the tasks they are more comfortable with.
Old 12-16-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Settlers of Catan is much fun. Keep in mind that the games tend to be pretty long - our typical four- or five-player game takes about two hours to finish. My interest usually starts waning an hour into it.

Medici is another great trading boardgame. Its games are much more balanced (and appropriately sized/timed) for a group setting.

Cranium is way too easy. The first time I and my college friends played, both teams rarely missed a question. The lack of a challenge really cripples the gameplay.

Pictionary is and always will be an incredibly fun party game.

Apples to Apples is a very fun card game. It doesn't play like most card games - it plays like a boardgame, and it's very social. Much opportunity to flex your sense of humor.

The Pit is a card game that's incredibly easy to learn, but competitive and very much fun (bordering on frantic!) And it's got the same kind of "screw over your buddy" gameplay as Old Maid.

- David Stein
Old 12-16-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone tried the Trivial Persuit DVD pop culture game? I got that for Christmas and am wondering how it is.
Old 12-16-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nosebleed
Has anyone tried the Trivial Persuit DVD pop culture game? I got that for Christmas and am wondering how it is.
Ya mean you got it for an early present this year or you got it last Christmas and never got around to playing it?

We got the Trivial Pursuit 20th. Annv. edition last Christmas and have still not played it yet.
Old 12-16-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

try some cheapass games. Biting off heads is one of our favorites for big groups, and lord of the fries is great. http://www.cheapass.com
Old 12-16-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Taboo
Scattergories
Cranium
Pictionary
Balderdash
Sorry
Aggravation
Clue
Scene It
Uno
Trivial Pursuit
Poker
Yahtzee
Life
Disney Trivia

are all favorites of mine - I kick butt at Taboo, Clue, Balderdash, Trivial Pursuit and Disney Trivia
Old 12-16-04, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by RoQuEr
try some cheapass games. Biting off heads is one of our favorites for big groups, and lord of the fries is great. http://www.cheapass.com
Some of them are fun! I haven`t tried this one yet, but it sounds interesting:
http://www.cheapass.com/Merchant2/me...ct_Code=CAG032
Old 12-16-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cranium remains the only "game" to actually cause our group of friends to get angry with each other. That's not fun.
Old 12-16-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say Risk, but that's only if you want everyone mad and pissy at the end.
Old 12-16-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

apples to apples is fun and easy to learn
Old 12-17-04, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apples to Apples is a pretty fun party game that can be played with anyone. Ticket to Ride also won awards recently (Game of the Year) and has been recommended to me as an excellent introduction game to non-gamers.

Definately check out boardgamegeek.com for game recommendations and if you are going to buy online i've been finding the best prices (and really great customer service) at www.fairplaygames.com
Old 12-17-04, 08:37 AM

Lots of good games mentioned here but I'm not sure how well they would work as family games (I guess it depends upon the family ). One fun/quick game that is easy to pick up is Fluxx http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/258
Old 12-17-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stand Cranium, it's way too easy. I remember once we had 4 different teams playing and not a single team of the 4 missed a question or challenge the whole game. That's no fun.
Old 12-18-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
The Pit is a card game that's incredibly easy to learn, but competitive and very much fun (bordering on frantic!) And it's got the same kind of "screw over your buddy" gameplay as Old Maid.
It's just "Pit", and I would recommend it as well, especially for adults who have a few drinks in 'em. Also, don't play at 2 in the morning if you live in an apartment complex where people complain about noise a lot. It tends to be a very loud game. Since I introduced the game to our circle of friends 2 years ago, they now specifically request that I bring it to gatherings.

It can actually be a tough game to find (despite the fact that it is made by Parker Brothers), at least when I looked for it a few years ago. I ended up having to find a copy at a nearby Wizards of the Coast. Of course, it is readily available online.
Old 12-18-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JustinS
It's just "Pit", and I would recommend it as well, especially for adults who have a few drinks in 'em.
Heh. Glad someone else has heard of it.

The game has one logical flaw, though:
Spoiler:
One uncooperative person can create gridlock. If you manage to get one unit of each of the four goods (hardly difficult - sometimes happens on the deal) and you just hang on to them, no one can win the game. You can blend in while doing this by trading away some of your other goods - just keep holding those four cards.

Here's how it usually plays out:

For the first three minutes, everyone trades frantically.

For the next three minutes, everyone continues trading, but becomes curious that their opponents haven't yet won.

For the next five minutes, everyone starts thinking, "WTF?"

It's at that time that you trade away one of your prized units, and the game ends in about 20 seconds. But no one ever figures out what you did.

- David Stein

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.