Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How early is too early for work phone calls?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-09-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss calls my company cell phone at 6:22 this morning and leaves a message. I usually leave it in the car or turn it off. Apparently I didn't check my email from home last night (which he said wasn't a problem ONLY because he knows I'm out interviewing for other jobs) and he says there's a huge emergency. This is a man who cried wolf too many times. I wonder how long I should leave him hanging....

Calling me before 8 AM is just too early in my opinion. We have flex time, so sometimes I'm in the office at 7 and sometimes I'm in at 10. Can reasonably I ask him and others in my department not to call me prior to 8 AM out of courtesy as I may still be asleep? One girl calls all the time starting at 6 AM. And they want to give me a RIM device. Does anyone else have this problem? Shouldn't they leave a Sr. Invoice Processor the hell alone and handle these problems at another level?
Old 11-09-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Small company?

I would assume the standard work hours are clearly outlined in your employee handbook. Consult it and live it.

That said, bosses can be dicks. The one and only argument I had with one boss of mine was because he needed to get ahold of me while I was on vacation over the span of 2 days, and couldn't. Specifically he was miffed that I had my cell phone off for 3 hours while I was meeting more of my gf's family and celebrating her Grandmother's 85th birthday. Instead I tried returning calls after our party and he was pissed that I let him down. I had some choice words for him.
Old 11-09-04, 08:07 AM

I'd say that depends on the job. For example, I'm in IT, so it's never too early or late. But... I get paid a dollar amount ($50, plus any time worked) every time I get called after hours, billed to the department that called me. I've noticed since they put this in place, my after-hours calls have gone from about one a week to one every few months.

And I've been fighting against the blackberry, although that's a losing battle.
Old 11-09-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I get calls at all hours of the night and morning. Stupid people.
Old 11-09-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

working the fryer at mcdonalds, you won't have that kind of problem.
Old 11-09-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You kidding? of course you will!

"Bubba has gone and got arrested again, can you come in and take his shift?"
Old 11-09-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It all depends.

This is a company cell phone. What was the purpose for giving you the phone in the first place? If it was to reach you outside of regular business hours, then no time is too early or too late.

If you have no such arrangement, why not turn off your cell phone when you go to sleep, and turn it on when you are ready to accept calls?
Old 11-09-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I get calls at all hours of the night and morning. Stupid people.
Same here. These fucking "phone operators" call me 3am on a saturday to tell me of a critical alert in one of the server. Guess what the critical error is? Fucking diskspace dropped below 20%. Woopeedooo, there are 20GB diskspace remaing but no, it's critical
Old 11-09-04, 12:43 PM

If it's a company phone, well, I'd say they "sorta" have a right to call you when needed. But a decent time would be anytime after 7:30am, imo.

If it's your own personal cell phone, and he happens to have your number, I would be PISSED.

I am one of those types that leaves work at work, and really think that my company has no business calling me on my personal time unless it's a massive emergency. Unfortunately, I'm salaried, so they begged to differ. This was at my last job. No issues yet with my current job and cell usage.
Old 11-09-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This topic reminds me of an old Mike Royko column from the 80s. Seems this guy who lived in Chicago worked at night and slept during the day. A collection agency kept calling him during the day to try to get information about a neighbor of his, he kept telling them that he knew nothing about the neighbor and that he personally slept during the day, so stop calling him, but they didnít. Then one day he played friendly and chatted with the collections agent, getting her supervisorís name. He then called directory assistance (pre-internet days) and the lady was actually listed in the phone book, and he got her telephone number. He called her (the supervisor) at 2am. The husband answered, and the guy asked for his wife. The husband asked if he knew what time it was, and the guy said yes, but it was work related. The wife (supervisor) got onto the phone and the guy told her that her company wanted to know about his neighbor and kept calling him during the day when he was asleep, well he was awake now and could talk to her about his neighbor. The supervisor was very irate and threatened to sue him etc etc, but apparently the calls to this guy stopped.
Old 11-09-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that's a funny story! I like that.

Yes, the cell phone being company-provided is why I was asking if I should set boundaries with these people. Why do I have it? I don't really know. Basically because my boss freaks when he can't yank on our leash and feel us pull against him. There's no reason on this earth why a senior invoice processor needs a company cell and laptop.

Someone asked if this was a small company. No, we are a Fortune 500 company. There is no accessible company handbook. A point that bit me in the butt yesterday when I asked why my 11 hours of work 2 Sundays ago wasn't at double OT. Everything thinks they get double OT for working Sundays, but a photocopy of a 2 page memo was provided to me stating that we do not. Nice.

I was waiting for the boss to call my personal cell phone, which he does have the number to (shame on me), but I guess since he knows I am out interviewing, he's been rather soft on me. I don't think it's going to matter, I'm pretty sure I'm leaving anyway!
Old 11-09-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I work graveyard in the ops room, so I occasionally have to wake up an analyst. About the only thing that I'll call people about is a server crash (deader than disco), a network outage extending over two or more buildings, or any form of outages in the Law Enforcement Center (911 going down is a pretty major crisis).

Other than that, it can wait till 8am.
Old 11-09-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PrincessT
Wow, that's a funny story! I like that.

Yes, the cell phone being company-provided is why I was asking if I should set boundaries with these people. Why do I have it? I don't really know. Basically because my boss freaks when he can't yank on our leash and feel us pull against him. There's no reason on this earth why a senior invoice processor needs a company cell and laptop.
There's your lesson. Next time, next job, if you are ever given a company pager/cell phone, make sure you and your boss understand what the parameters are.... and get it in writing.
Old 11-09-04, 02:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately for me, there's no such thing as too early or too late. But I've got a system set up. If I get on off hours call, I charge a half hour minimum. If I was asleep, it's an hour. I don't get paid for the hours unless I can apply them in place of time I had planned to take vacation for.