Reload this Page >

Moving a big screen upstairs...how?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-30-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to move my 57" big screen up a flight of stairs...what's the easiest way to accomplish this feat? I know with the home theater enthusiasts we have here that someone's had to do this before...

Help!
Old 10-30-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Escalera Stair Climbing Handtrucks and
Stair Climbing Forklifts

www.escalera.com/moving/appliance.htm

I would think that you could rent something like this.

I've used something similar to move some larger computers (back in the old days when they were, as a rule, much bigger than now) up a flight of stairs. Although I always had several people to help me, given that these were really expensive pieces of equipment and I wanted to make sure that they weren't damaged..

The one pictured may be a bit of overkill as the screen may not weigh that much.

Not knowing the dimensions of the screen, the greatest difficulty might be getting it through the stairwell or around corners.

Since I've never bought an appliance there, I don't know ... does BB do deliveries? If so, do they have any techniques or equipment that you could find out about?

[edit]
Here's a link to equipment specifically recommended for big screenTVs.

http://www.escalera.com/moving/tv.htm

[/edit]

Last edited by obscurelabel; 10-30-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Toshiba actually breaks down into 2 pieces. Check to see if yours will, as well. The guys that delivered it brought it up the stairs in one piece, using one of those long straps.
Old 10-30-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they're not that heavy, call up a moving buddy and get it up there.
Old 10-30-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

call up several buddies, a TV that big must not be harmed.
Old 10-30-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
For gods sakes man. Is there anything in this world you CAN do without asking an internet forum for directions or advice?
Old 10-30-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
insured moving company
Old 10-30-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
For gods sakes man. Is there anything in this world you CAN do without asking an internet forum for directions or advice?
cutting his hair....errrr......an apartment rental deposit.....errr.......yeah, I've got nothing.
Old 10-30-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Hey Jack...what should I eat for dinner tonight?

Old 10-30-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-30-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my brother and i moved his 55" TV from the house he was renting into the apartment he moved into with his girlfriend. He's a decently strong guy but I have the muscles of a nine year old. Having said that, we managed to do it without too much trouble so I'm sure two normal to strong guys could handle it no problem. Just be sure to measure and make sure the opening is large enough. Also be extra careful not to bump it as that may jostle the lenses etc which would be bad.
Old 10-30-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rent of of those thingies in obscurelabel's post. That's what I did a couple of weeks ago to move my 260 lbs Sony Wega from my condo (3 flights of stairs down) to my mom's condo in the next building (2 flights of stairs up). There was 3 of us but the stairways are so narrow that it's almost impossible for 3 people to be in a comfortable position to get a decent grip. It was a cinch with that thing.
Old 10-30-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just remember - Pivot! Pivot! Pivot!
Old 10-30-04, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy a new TV. If you can't move it, it's time to upgrade.
Old 10-30-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Cow
Buy a new TV. If you can't move it, it's time to upgrade.

Old 10-31-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by FinkPish
Just remember - Pivot! Pivot! Pivot!
that's my favorite moving joke of all time. When I was helping my neighbor move out, I kept saying that and other people who lived on the floor (who neither of us had met yet) started cracking up and told us they had just seen that episode the night before.
Old 10-31-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Start lifting weights.
Old 10-31-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

just be sure to lift with your back, not your legs
Old 11-01-04, 06:47 PM

One of my college jobs was to deliver and install home electronics which was cool because home theater was an early hobby of mine.

When these things are new in a box, we would just roll them end-over-end to go up stairs. The reasoning here was that the packaging protected the finish and the TV itself was built for ocean shipping in most cases. It's not like we were dropping it on to the floor with every roll. Besides, we unboxed and verified all was working correctly when the TV got to it's home.

Still didn't stop the new owners that had just dropped thousands of dollars on a purchase to see their new baby rolling up the stairs. During my first day in one shop, we delivered a 300lb 60 inch Proscan set (had a really heavy wood frame around the screen) to a guy in the Hollywood Hills. This was one of those places where you parked on a one-way street and looked up the hillside to the house that was at the top of 50 stairs running from the street level garage to the home. Me and the company veteran get out of the truck and the guy says, "where's the 3rd guy and the refrigerator dolly? I told the salesman I would need 3 guys and a dolly!"

20 minutes later (with the owner's help) we had the set up the hill and installed (with a $20 tip). He was ticked at first, but then impressed. There are some sets that are too big for any dolly made.

As for your situation, just be careful and remember that they are easy to flip over if someone isn't carrying their share of the load.
Old 11-01-04, 06:56 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by twikoff
just be sure to lift with your back, not your legs
Very sound advise.
Old 11-01-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My Sony Wega was delivered to me using the "rolling end over end" method. I had to call the Sony service tech because the image was severely tilted....
Old 11-01-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Dont use a hand truck! I used to deliver refrigerators to 4th story walk ups with a simple dolly with two straps attached.
Old 11-01-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is the tv stuck halfway up the stairs now? It's been 2 days and no sign of Tarantino.
Old 11-01-04, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Dansize

When these things are new in a box, we would just roll them end-over-end to go up stairs. The reasoning here was that the packaging protected the finish and the TV itself was built for ocean shipping in most cases. It's not like we were dropping it on to the floor with every roll. Besides, we unboxed and verified all was working correctly when the TV got to it's home.

I work in a RPTV factory and have designed the packing for TV's - you could not be more wrong!!!!!

Ever take time to look at the little arrows on the box

Also ocean shipping is done in steel containers and RPTV's are to expensive to ship overseas so they are all made here or in Mexico.

DONT- I REPEAT DONT DO THIS!!!!
Old 11-01-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thinking of the look on bfrank's face as he watches someone roll a big screen tv box end over end.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.