Reload this Page >

Google brain teasers...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Google brain teasers...

Old 10-28-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google brain teasers...

They are using these brain teasers to find the best and brighest programmers out there ...

Here are two questions ... just reading them makes my head hurt.

How many different ways can you color an icosahedron with one of three colors on each face?
On an infinite, two-dimensional rectangular lattice of 1-ohm resistors, what is the resistance between two nodes that are a knight's move away?
Old 10-28-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Answer to #1:

Yes.

Answer to #2:

False.
Old 10-28-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Ill go with 'C' on both!
Old 10-28-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

#1 144(?)
#2 Don't know
Old 10-28-04, 10:05 AM
Banned

Re: Google brain teasers...

How many different ways can you color an icosahedron with one of three colors on each face?
3,486,784,401. I had to look up what an icosahedron was (a 20 sided polyhedron).

On an infinite, two-dimensional rectangular lattice of 1-ohm resistors, what is the resistance between two nodes that are a knight's move away?
((4/pi) - 0.5) ohms.

http://www.geocities.com/frooha/grid/node2.html gives you the idea of how to solve it without giving the actual solution. It's kinda cheating, but if you think I'm spending the time to work that shit out, you're crazy.
Old 10-28-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Otto: Yeah, me too. I have a murky recollection of that bit of arcanery from my D&D days, but age 10 was a long time ago for me. So it's just 3<sup>20</sup> or 3,486,784,401 - verified.

I like the setup, but I was never any good at circuits.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 10:13 AM

I'm not sure being able to answer those questions corresponds to being a "great programmer."

For most companies, they have one question that works pretty well in finding good programmers: "Are you Indian?"
Old 10-28-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

#1:

I win?
Old 10-28-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Link to more questions
Old 10-28-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The hell is the deal with that page?
Pencils down, people
We' Re has little obsessive butt digging into hardware computing problems, and we coils finding more people like custom. Obsessive One way we find smart problem-solvers is by using has standardized test. Now standardized tests edge suck, especially since you usually take them to become has broke student for years one end. Which edge lead to starting has career that, yew you' Re lucky, might eventually lead to has really cool job.

What yew there were drank has standardized test that led, like, immediately to the really cool job? Do What yew, for authority, there was have Google Labs Aptitude Test?

There is. We enjoyed writing it, and yew you' Re our kind of uber-geek, you' ll enjoy taking it, and maybe you' D enjoy life have has Googler. Give it has try. The GLAT is furnace length pages; you edge print them out here, here, here and here. When you' Re done, send your completed test to:

Google Labs Jobs
1600 Parkway Amphitheatre
Mountain View, CA 94043-1351

Good luck. Take your time, especially with the essay questions. And No, one this one guessing doesn' T help.
That's barely readable. I'm guessing there's a puzzle buried in that introductory text, based on the weird capitalization and haphazard insertion of words. But it makes the actual text quite hard to scan.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm impressed that I fundamentally know how to solve both problems, however the actual execution of #2 may be incomplete. I do know what I need to do, however.
Old 10-28-04, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by sfsdfd
The hell is the deal with that page?

That's barely readable. I'm guessing there's a puzzle buried in that introductory text, based on the weird capitalization and haphazard insertion of words. But it makes the actual text quite hard to scan.
Check out the link. He posted a link that's going through a French->English translator for some odd reason. Try this link instead:
http://www.google.com/googleblog/200...wn-people.html
Old 10-28-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, I just posted the first link I found with all the questions
Old 10-28-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Otto
Check out the link. He posted a link that's going through a French->English translator for some odd reason.
Heh. Whoops.

David Stein - expert in missing the obvious explanation since 1974.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho

For most companies, they have one question that works pretty well in finding good programmers: "Are you Indian?"
You mean guys like this?
http://www.desifaces.com/main.php?id=1672&c=Men
Old 10-28-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Old 10-28-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-28-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked their billboard puzzle; that was fun.

http://www.google.com/googleblog/200...er-theory.html
Old 10-28-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll take the lump sum.
Old 10-28-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Otto: Yeah, me too. I have a murky recollection of that bit of arcanery from my D&D days, but age 10 was a long time ago for me. So it's just 3<sup>20</sup> or 3,486,784,401 - verified.
Are you sure it's 3<sup>20</sup>? That was my initial thought, but then I was thinking that if you're looking at getting rid of the SAME combinations (but from different facings), that lessens the numbers considerably.

Looking at the same question, except consider a coin (far more basic, but easier to explain).

"How many different ways can you color a coin with one of three colors on each face?"

Let's assume colours are red, white and blue. If you take the 3<sup>2</sup> method, you're looking at 9 possible ways.

Red on top; red, white or blue on the bottom.
White on top; red, white or blue on the bottom.
Blue on top; red, white or blue on the bottom.

But if you look at a "faceless" coin (no differentiation between top and bottom - ie no head or tail facing), it might be considered that there are less combinations:

Red + red, white or blue; White + White or Blue or Blue and Blue = 6 different ways.

You'd also need to take into account of the icosahedron being a Platonic polyhedra, so you'd likely need a specific formula to work it out (a non-polyhedra 20-sided object would be different again).

As I said - the 3<sup>20</sup> is probably the answer, but I thought I'd throw in an alternate "view" of the question.
Old 11-02-04, 10:30 AM
Banned

It doesn't give any indication that the icosahedron is regular in the question. Therefore I think that to assume it is any particular shape and/or has any kind of symmetry that could lead to the red/white = white/red concept is not the best assumption to make.