Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Our neighbor's cat died on our porch

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-23-04, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our neighbor has a gray cat who has always liked hanging out in our yard. We have two indoor cats and he would always come by and look at them through the window. He even hung out on our roof a few times.

My husband went outside to move his car this afternoon and noticed the cat curled up on our front porch, underneath a chair. The cat's eyes were open and he did not appear to be moving, even after my husband shut the front door loudly to try and get a reaction. We also noticed the cat's tongue was hanging out, so we knew he must be dead.

He wasn't sure what we should do at first, and he even asked me "What's the proper etiquette in this situation?" I am a huge cat lover and was saddened by the situation but I thought that was pretty funny-- I doubt this kind of occurrence is common enough to have proper etiquette.

I told him to go knock on their door and tell them something was wrong with their cat, but don't say he is dead. They weren't at home, though, and we had to leave the house to go somewhere. I decided against leaving a note; what would it say "Your cat is dead, come get it?" So we left it there and went and did our errands.

We came home and of course the cat was still there. I told my husband to go see if the neighbors were home and they were. He said he seemed more upset than they were. They are nice people, but they have an 8 month old baby, and also a dog and a few other cats. They said this cat was a little on the wild side anyway and they suspected he wouldn't come home someday soon. I guess they saw him last night, but not all day today. I was worried the cat might have been on our porch for awhile since he was down at the end and we might not have noticed him before.

Anyway, they came down tgo our house with a plastic bag and took the cat's body away. The wife said her husband has a medical background and he might examine him to see why he died...ugh.

Thankfully we were able to get ahold of them, because we were a little concerned about what to do. I'm glad we knew whose cat it was, otherwise we would have just called Animal Control and those people would have never known what happened to their cat.
Old 10-23-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is awful!
Old 10-23-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

That is. I am a cat lover. One of my cats dies awhile ago, and I was amazed at how light she felt when I picked her up. She was young. No idea why she died. I miss her
Old 10-23-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Our neighbor's cat died on our porch

Originally posted by Jadzia
The wife said her husband has a medical background and he might examine him to see why he died...ugh.
Why would it be important to know? Does he suspect foul play?

That just seems kind of ... morbid...
Old 10-23-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Our neighbor's cat died on our porch

Originally posted by Jadzia
I told him to go knock on their door and tell them something was wrong with their cat, but don't say he is dead.
That is a very strange decision. Why do you think it would have been better for them to discover that their cat was dead, rather then you just telling them, 'I'm terribly sorry, but I found you cat and I'm afraid she's died'. Did you just not want to have to deliever bad news? I don't think that's right.
Old 10-23-04, 06:40 PM

Re: Re: Our neighbor's cat died on our porch

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
That is a very strange decision. Why do you think it would have been better for them to discover that their cat was dead, rather then you just telling them, 'I'm terribly sorry, but I found you cat and I'm afraid she's died'. Did you just not want to have to deliever bad news? I don't think that's right.
My husband said "Your cat is on our porch and he doesn't appear to be moving" and he said they knew instantly the cat was dead without him having to say it.

We are big cat lovers and we were worried on how to break the news without sounding too harsh.
Old 10-23-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if the cat was hit by a car or something. Hopefully, it wasn't poisoned. You might be a little cautious with Halloween and all.
Old 10-23-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aww.. man, Jadzia. Sorry you had to deal with that. A loss of a pet is hard, but having to deliver the news to someone else...

I understand not wanting to outright say 'it's dead, Jim.' That's a harsh pill to swallow. You said enough with "he/she is not moving."

You're brave to deliver the news and not just bring the cat back to their yard.

I'm sure they won't suspect you for it's death. You didn't do it, first off. Second, you could have done something like hide the cat or bring it back to their yard anonymously - But didn't. You told them.

People who kill pets don't tell their owners, I'm sure. Unless it's purely accidental. They were just being precautious in examining the cat for foul play. Hell, maybe they figured someone left it on your porch not knowing who the cat belonged to.
Old 10-23-04, 07:21 PM

Yeah, I really like this couple. We don't know many of our neighbors, but we have kind of clicked whenever we talk to these people. The wife just had a baby six months before we did, and our kids will likely be in the same class at school. Plus they have cats, etc. and it even turns out that the wife was in the same class at the University of Michigan that I was in.

I felt bad becaused they kept apologizing for their cat dying on our porch, and I was like no, we're sorry your cat died.

I definitely don't think they suspect us of doing anything, because they know we're cat people and we have bonded on the cat thing before. Plus the cat looked very peaceful, like he was sleeping. She said that her cat must have felt safe over at our house. We both were talking about how cats often will go off"somewhere when it is their time to die. It's like they don't want to bother their owners with their death, and they prefer to be alone. She said they suspected he might not come home soon, I guess he had been acting more distant lately.

Plus she asked me if I ever would be available to babysit her kid in an emergency, so I guess she knows we aren't cat killers.
Old 10-23-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go through that Jadzia.

I choose to believe the cat is in a wonderful place happy and at peace.
Old 10-23-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I wonder if the cat was hit by a car or something. Hopefully, it wasn't poisoned. You might be a little cautious with Halloween and all.
First thought I had was poison too. Jadzia, definitely make sure your cats don't get out.
Old 10-23-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry, too, Jadzia that you had to deal with that. Thank you for being so kind to their kitty and making sure his body was taken care of.

I had a little black and white kitty years ago and she got very, very sick. I had to put her down and it about ripped my heart out. It's been 4 years now and it still makes me cry when I talk about it.