Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Might be moving to Vegas and have some questions.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-21-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my lease is up I may be heading out to Vegas to finish up school in the PGM program at UNLV.

What am I looking at apartment wise? I'd prefer something close to UNLV but don't mind a commute if its not a good area or too expensive. What are some good areas to look at and what kind of price range are we talking about. A buddy of mine said he would be willing to move out there with me, so I would have at least 1 roommate.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-21-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no Chuys in Vegas.

Can't help ya, but .
Old 10-21-04, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
There's no Chuys in Vegas.

Can't help ya, but .

Why did you have to remind me?
Old 10-21-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GatorDeb is in Vegas. You two should hook up.
Old 10-21-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just remember to shower occasionally....
Old 10-21-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to live near UNLV, prepare to live in a complete shithole.

Just warning ya.
Old 10-21-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Iron Chef
GatorDeb is in Vegas. You two should hook up.
strong agreement.

Two posters here like to visit Vegas so I was going to bring them into the thread but they probably don't know about apartments. I won't mention them by name cuz it might make one of them mad.

Old 10-22-04, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel

Just warning ya.

Like I said, I don't mind living away from campus if the conditions are not good.
Old 10-23-04, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well how far away from campus do you mind living?

Will you have a car or not?
Old 10-23-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rent.com -> You can search by area.

Summerlin is the good area... apartments start around $800. Crappy apartments start at $500. Crappy rooms with a lot of crime start at $350.

NW and the northern part of the SW area are good areas. SE has high crime (and lower prices).

Professional Golf Management... interesting.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-23-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel

Just warning ya.
The whole area bordered by Maryland Pkwy, Tropicana, Spencer and Flamingo isn't too great. This covers the area just East of UNLV.

West of UNLV is mostly commercial (The Hard Rock is there)

North of UNLV is even worse than the area East of UNLV. The whole area between Maryland Pkwy, Flamingo, Paradise and Sahara is pretty bad.

The area South of UNLV (South of Tropicana) is kind of unknown to me since I've never needed to go over there.

I have no idea what apartments go for but you might find something decent and affordable East of Eastern or West of Valley View. (There are a lot of apartments near the Gold Coast, but stay away from anything near Clark High School at Arville & Pennwood)

GatorDeb is right about Summerlin, but it's kind of far from UNLV and traffic here is a bitch.

Last edited by Damfino; 10-24-04 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Professional Golf Management... interesting.
Great field. Expect to put in your time. Long hours. Networking is VERY important, and the industry is pretty tight. (which is good and bad)

My dad did/does that, and loves it. (Wasn't his major in college, that was Bio/Chem I think.) I don't know anything about the UNLV program, but I know Rutgers has an excellent Turf Management Program...which is good for the more technical side of golf. (Building golf courses, using the right chemicals, combination of seeding, etc) Also, get involved with ANY and ALL golf industry related association. Like I said...they are a tight group of people, but once you are in, you are in. Just don't make a club implode, and you'll be ok.

-pedagogue
Old 10-24-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My advice? Stay away from this fucker:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=392313
Old 10-24-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The area South of UNLV (South of Tropicana) is kind of unknown to me since I've never needed to go over there.
The south side of UNLV mostly consists of the Airport, the huge commercial buildings (that are apart of the Hughes Airport Center), and some run-down homes. Not a lot of decent homes in that area of town to begin with.

It all depends on where you want to live in Las Vegas. The southwest side of town (where I live) is still "new" and pretty nice. I live twenty minutes away from UNLV (with no traffic), so it's easy to make it to-and-from class every day. Now if you lived in Summerlin, it could take you thirty minutes to an hour to get to school each day.
Old 10-24-04, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by pedagogue
Great field. Expect to put in your time. Long hours. Networking is VERY important, and the industry is pretty tight. (which is good and bad)

My dad did/does that, and loves it. (Wasn't his major in college, that was Bio/Chem I think.) I don't know anything about the UNLV program, but I know Rutgers has an excellent Turf Management Program...which is good for the more technical side of golf. (Building golf courses, using the right chemicals, combination of seeding, etc) Also, get involved with ANY and ALL golf industry related association. Like I said...they are a tight group of people, but once you are in, you are in. Just don't make a club implode, and you'll be ok.

-pedagogue

I've been in the golf industry for several years now so I'm already "in". I just need to transfer to a certified PGM program so I can get my PGA certification (The PGM program at Wueens here in Charlotte isn't certified so your classes don't count for PGA certification). I'm leaning towards the UNLV program because I have basically have a job offer with Nike Golf there in Las Vegas. Plus with all the great courses in the area I wouldn't have to relocate to get a club pro job or teaching job.
Old 10-24-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mljones99
I've been in the golf industry for several years now so I'm already "in". I just need to transfer to a certified PGM program so I can get my PGA certification (The PGM program at Wueens here in Charlotte isn't certified so your classes don't count for PGA certification). I'm leaning towards the UNLV program because I have basically have a job offer with Nike Golf there in Las Vegas. Plus with all the great courses in the area I wouldn't have to relocate to get a club pro job or teaching job.
Nice!

Great golf out there. Hopefully I'll be hitting it up in Feb.

-pedagogue