Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you separate the yolk from the white of an egg?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first low-cholesterol experiment... it's time for some eggs. How do I get the yolk out? I know there's a technique for this.
Old 10-20-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After you crack open the egg, simply use the two halves to "scoop" the egg yolk back and forth, while letting the egg white drip into a bowl. Eventually, all that will be left in one of the egg halves is the yolk. All the white should be in the bowl.
Old 10-20-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With my hands...I just crack an egg onto my hand and let the whites drip down into a bowl.

criptik28 really has the best technique, though.
Old 10-20-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That works great if shell breaks cleanly. The way I break eggs, an alternate method had to be developed. Empty egg into shallow bowl, without breaking yolk. Slowly pour from that bowl to another, holding back the yolk with a spoon. (If yolk breaks, that egg is SOL)

As long as yolk doesn't break, this works pretty well for klutzy cooks like me.
Old 10-20-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I'll go give it a shot right now.
Old 10-20-04, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard boil them - it's much easier that way.
Old 10-20-04, 11:00 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

They also sell a device in stores that carry kitchen gadgets that are useful.
The one I have is a small clear box with a lid. The lid has a spot for the egg yolk to sit while the whites drip down. To get the white that clings to the yolk, you just have to move it around a little bit.

Also, in the stores, they sell cartons of egg whites that you can use in a pinch. They only last a week once opened, but I think the one I've seen contains the equivelent of a dozen egg whites.
Old 10-20-04, 11:01 AM

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...oryCode=BAKBAS
Old 10-20-04, 11:02 AM
Banned

Doing the egg white separation trick with just the egg shell takes practice. The key is that the white is runny, while the yolk is not. Keep the egg halves close together and let the white spill out between them as you transfer the yolk back and forth. Easy once you get the hang of it, but yes, it needs a clean egg break. If you try to do it with a messy break you get lots of eggshell bits in the white.

Another way is to use something sharp to poke a small hole in the end of the egg. White will pour out, yolk will stay in. Then crack the egg to get the yolk.

Alternatively, and much easier, go by a store and look for a device that looks like a kind of wire mesh ice cream scoop. Hold that in one hand, dump the yolk in it with the other. White goes through it, yolk stays in it. Very easy to use.

This sort of thing:
Old 10-20-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Success!

The only down-side would be that while I would never eat more than 3 eggs, I made 4 egg whites and it was still not quite enough. So it will take 2 extra eggs, but big deal.

I was expecting it to taste lousy or at least be unfulfilling, but that's not the case. Pretty good (thanks to good use of seasonings I guess, no salt).

First egg basically just poured the white out of the shell, no sifting necessary. I think I got lucky there. The 2nd egg I lost the yolk into the bowl (whole) and was able to get it out with a spoon without breaking. 3rd and 4th worked pretty well.

Like OldDude, I can't break an egg straight across for the life of me. But it sorta worked with the funny halves I had. Only one little shell bit to pick out.
Old 10-20-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Way to go!

Should you be feeling brave and adventurous, you might try some soft tofu. I've never tried it myself (I hate eggs) but I've heard that you can cook it just like scrambled eggs and you can even buy a seasoning packet that will help it to taste and look like eggs, too.

I hope your cholesterol works itself out and you get a lower score next time.
Old 10-20-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hands are the best and easiest method. Make sure they're clean though. If you don't like the touch of raw egg just get a $2 egg seperator.
Old 10-20-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A funnel can also work, it has to be the right size. I never have any problems using the shell approach though.
Old 10-20-04, 12:09 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by criptik28
After you crack open the egg, simply use the two halves to "scoop" the egg yolk back and forth, while letting the egg white drip into a bowl. Eventually, all that will be left in one of the egg halves is the yolk. All the white should be in the bowl.
What criptik28 said. Works for me all the time.
Old 10-20-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or just wait. We've got seedless watermelon. Yolkless egg must be close!
Old 10-20-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Success!
Pics?
Old 10-20-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by QuAcKeR
Or just wait. We've got seedless watermelon. Yolkless egg must be close!
Yeah, they have that in containers already. Would be pretty sweet in a shell though.
Old 10-20-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

another vote for the criptik technique.
Old 10-20-04, 02:32 PM

For the guys who were having trouble cracking eggs - are you cracking them on the edge of something, or a flat surface? If you're not using a flat surface, it can be harder to crack them. Try just doing it on the counter or table. After a couple of tries, it's much easier. I can do it one-handed now.

X
Old 10-20-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yup. that's what i do all the time.
Old 10-20-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kantonburg
Hands are the best and easiest method.
Yup. Just strain the whites through your fingers and plop the yolk into a bowl or toss it. Most efficient method.

If you're afraid to use your hands while cooking, you're of no damn use to me.
Old 10-20-04, 03:27 PM

just a little FYI--egg shells are LOADED with bacteria, including salmonella. granted, this should all be killed while cooking but a cooking show (yes, i am pathetic and watched a cooking show--hey, it was late and i couldnt sleep!) said to never use the shells to separate in order to cut down on contamination. me, i use the finger technique but that is because it is faster than the egg shell technique. i couldnt care less about adding extra bacteria in from the shell.
Old 10-20-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by krkuhl
just a little FYI--egg shells are LOADED with bacteria, including salmonella. granted, this should all be killed while cooking but a cooking show (yes, i am pathetic and watched a cooking show--hey, it was late and i couldnt sleep!) said to never use the shells to separate in order to cut down on contamination. me, i use the finger technique but that is because it is faster than the egg shell technique. i couldnt care less about adding extra bacteria in from the shell.
Also, make sure to lick your fingers clean after using this method.
Old 10-20-04, 05:50 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
For what it's worth, Eggs aren't really that bad for you from a cholesterol perspective.

They may have more of the good cholesterol than the bad, and they have phosphatidylcholine (decreases absorbtion of egg cholesterol into the bloodstream.)

Plus, you get lutein, which fights macular degeneration.
Old 10-20-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lenny: Pfft, forget it, Homer. While it has been established that eggs contain cholesterol, it has not yet been proven conclusively that they actually raise the level of serum cholesterol in the human blood stream.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.