Kerry Challenges Bush To Weekly Debates

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-26-04, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.nbc4.tv/politics/3683778/...108262004&ts=H

POSTED: 1:30 pm EDT August 26, 2004

ANOKA, Minn. -- John Kerry challenged President George W. Bush on Thursday to weekly debates from now until Nov. 2 on campaign issues like education, health care and national security.

"America deserves a discussion like we're having here today, which I'm prepared to have with this president every single week from now until the election," the Democratic presidential candidate said.

Kerry issued the challenge while speaking about health care at Anoka Hennepin Technical College, fielding questions from a group of more than 200 people, some of them self-described undecided voters.

The Kerry campaign picked Anoka County for its known political independence, drawing the audience from counties surrounding Minneapolis and St. Paul. Anoka County voted for presidents Clinton and Bush, as well as independent former Gov. Jesse Ventura, and tends to be a bellwether for statewide candidates.

The Bush-Cheney campaign rebuffed the debate challenge.

"There will be a time for debates after the convention, and during the next few weeks, John Kerry should take the time to finish the debates with himself," responded Bush-Cheney spokesman Steve Schmidt.

"This election presents a clear choice to the American people between a president who is moving America forward and a senator who has taken every side of almost every issue," he said.

The Commission on Presidential Debates has scheduled three presidential debates to be held on college campuses in the battleground states of Florida, Missouri and Arizona in late September and October.

Kerry used the health care forum to highlight new figures released by the Census Bureau, which showed the ranks of the poor and uninsured grew last year, the third straight annual increase for both categories.

"Today confirms the failure of President Bush's policies for all Americans. While George Bush tries to convince America's families that were turning the corner, slogans and empty rhetoric can't hide the real story," Kerry said.

Kerry also defended himself from Republican charges that he wavers in his convictions on major issues.

"It's standard Republican playbook," Kerry said in response to a voter's question. "They just say it, and if you spend enough money and say it enough, people like you are going to ask the question."

Kerry said Bush has been the one flip-flopping over the last four years -- standing against the Homeland Security Department, then embracing it; fighting against the Sept. 11 commission, then endorsing it; promising to fund his new education law, then failing to.

After his response got a standing ovation, Kerry said, "That's why it would be great to be talking about this every week."

I don't think this has been posted and I usually don't post political posts, but do we really need the leader of the free world getting into weekly debates? Doesn't he have more pressing matters to deal with?

Chris
Old 08-26-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

like campaigning?

wasn't this idea presented on West Wing?
Old 08-26-04, 04:25 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Kerry has to do this. He's the challenger.

Kerry's debate strategy, of course, is fairly simple. Take both sides of an issue and then criticize your opponent for disagreeing with you.

Shows desperation as in:
Help, I'm going down and you need to debate me.

Last edited by bhk; 08-26-04 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
KERRY CHALLENGES BUSH TO WEEKLY DEBATES: In Anoka, MN, John Kerry challenged President Bush to weekly debates on the issues. MORE

BUSH CAMP REAX: "There will be a time for debates after the convention, and during the next few weeks, John Kerry should take the time to finish the debates with himself. This election presents a clear choice to the American people between a President who is moving America forward and a Senator who has taken every side of almost every issue and has the most out of the mainstream record in the U.S. Senate," said BC'04 spokesman Steve Schmidt.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/polit...Noted_Now.html
Sorry about the repost...I didnt read the full origional post...NO BOLD!
Old 08-26-04, 04:33 PM
Banned

This is what happens in EVERY presidential campaign. The challenger always calls for frequent debates and the incumbent always refuses. It's not a party line thing, it's not a Bush/Kerry thing. It's the nature of presidential politics. This is a non story.
Old 08-26-04, 04:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The best part, Bush's underling is making the counter charge(so to speak). I like that they make Kerry's positions part of the rebuttal so all the news media have to show it.
Old 08-26-04, 04:35 PM
Banned

Cute. You post the Bush propaganda but forget to post the Kerry propaganda. For ballance sake here it is:

Originally posted by ABC News
"Today confirms the failure of President Bush's policies for all Americans. While George Bush tries to convince America's families that were turning the corner, slogans and empty rhetoric can't hide the real story," Kerry said.

Kerry also defended himself from Republican charges that he wavers in his convictions on major issues.

"It's standard Republican playbook," Kerry said in response to a voter's question. "They just say it, and if you spend enough money and say it enough, people like you are going to ask the question."

Kerry said Bush has been the one flip-flopping over the last four years standing against the Homeland Security Department, then embracing it; fighting against the Sept. 11 commission, then endorsing it; promising to fund his new education law, then failing to.

After his response got a standing ovation, Kerry said, "That's why it would be great to be talking about this every week."
Old 08-26-04, 04:36 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall Bush calling for weekly debates when he was the challenger.
Old 08-26-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A desperate move. He'll get his at the three scheduled debates. Besides, shouldn't he show up and vote on stuff in the Senate every once in a while?
Old 08-26-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally posted by Captain Pike
Cute. You post the Bush propaganda but forget to post the Kerry propaganda. For ballance sake here it is:
Huh? I posted the Bush respons to the origional post! Should I include the origional post in all my response posts?

I have an idea...maybe Geoff could set it up so you could review all my posts, before thier official, for accuracy (your specialty).

You have an amazing habit of setting yourself up to be thouroughly slapped down...are you into self mutilation or something?
Old 08-26-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

One certain way to tell the candidate that's losing - he's the one calling for debates.
Old 08-26-04, 04:44 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Remember, even Dukakis was doing better at this point in the campaign.
Old 08-26-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I call for them Daily!!! If Kerry won't, then he is weak and has something to hide.
Old 08-26-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A debate btwn Candidate Kerry and Senator Kerry might prove more interesting.

GO BUSH!
Old 08-26-04, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by classicman2
One certain way to tell the candidate that's losing - he's the one calling for debates.
One certain way to tell the candidate isn't the incumbent - he's the one calling for debates. You're older. You've been observing politics for decades. You should know better than to suggest that the call for debates by a challenger in damn near ANY election is anything but 100% normal, no matter what party, unless the challenger is so far ahead that the outcome of the election is no longer in question.
Old 08-26-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Kerry obviously hasn't talked about this with his handlers. They would then have to agree on debate formats, moderators, locations, questions from the audience, whether or not to turn the mikes off when not being asked questions *sigh* etc. And you don't do debates before *all* conventions are finished either, Einstein.
Old 08-26-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's the economy, stupid.
Old 08-26-04, 04:49 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

power to the people.
Old 08-26-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention that there is no way that the networks will air more than the 4 total debates they did last time.
Old 08-26-04, 04:50 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

How did you slap me down? Are you into egotism or something?
You see, it's just like the guy whose wife is cheating on him is the last to find out.
Old 08-26-04, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Huh?
You really got me there guy.
Old 08-26-04, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
It's the economy, stupid.

You mean like the durable goods report or the existing home sales report?
Old 08-26-04, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Captain Pike
One certain way to tell the candidate isn't the incumbent - he's the one calling for debates. You're older. You've been observing politics for decades. You should know better than to suggest that the call for debates by a challenger in damn near ANY election is anything but 100% normal, no matter what party, unless the challenger is so far ahead that the outcome of the election is no longer in question.

Why would a challenger far out in front of an unpopular and certain to lose incumbent want to debate? They wouldn't. C-Man is entirely correct.
Old 08-26-04, 05:21 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

mean like the durable goods report or the existing home sales report?
Facts don't matter, it all about how you feel.
Old 08-26-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Pharoh,

You're right again.

Just like the swift boat veteran's stories - if they weren't having an effect - the Kerry campaign would not have responded.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.