Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Kerry Phones Swift Boat Foes

Old 08-24-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerry Phones Swift Boat Foes

KERRY PHONES SWIFT BOAT FOES

**World Exclusive**

Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry personally phoned anti-Kerry swift boat vets, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Kerry reached out to Robert "Friar Tuck" Brant Cdr., USN (RET) Sunday night, just hours after former Sen. Bob Dole publicly challenged Kerry to apologize to veterans.

Brant was skipper of the #96 and # 36 boat and spent time with Kerry in An Thoi. Kerry and Brant slept in the same quarters, and Brant used to put Kerry back to bed at night when Kerry was sleepwalking.

Brant received a call from Kerry at his home in Virginia while he was watching the Olympics on TV.

The call lasted 10 minutes, sources tell DRUDGE.

KERRY: "Why are all these swift boat guys opposed to me?"

BRANT: "You should know what you said when you came back, the impact it had on the young sailors and how it was disrespectful of our guys that were killed over there."

[Brant had two men killed in battle.]

KERRY: "When we dedicated swift boat one in '92, I said to all the swift guys that I wasn't talking about the swifties, I was talking about all the rest of the veterans."

Kerry then asked if he could meet Brant ["You were one of the best"] -- man to man -- face to face.

Brant declined the invite, explaining that Kerry was obviously not prepared to correct the record on exactly what happened during Vietnam and what happened when Kerry came back.

Developing...

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc98.htm

Desperation is setting in.
Isn't there anything this guy won't say or do ?
Old 08-24-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this for the new season of Crank Yankers?
Old 08-24-04, 01:33 PM

He should have used AIM:

TeresasHubby: hi there

brant69: mom?

TeresasHubby: No, it's John Kerry. We were in Vietnam together.

brant69: Oh yeah. Look, I'm busy right now.

TeresasHubby: This can't wait.

brant69: What is it?

TeresasHubby: Will you sign a petition saying that I should be prez?

brant69: I don't think so. Good day, sir.

TeresasHubby: But you haven't even read the petition!

brant69: I SAY GOOD DAY!
Old 08-24-04, 01:35 PM
Banned

The report is far from confirmed at the moment but if it's true then I'm disappointed that Kerry gave these ass-clowns the time of day. Their stories are so factually incorrect, full of strange, improbable, gothic details and strongly refuted by many credible individuals that anything that bolsters their legitimacy should be avoided by the Kerry campaign at all costs.
Old 08-24-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

X posted this Drudge article here.
Old 08-24-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Captain Pike
The report is far from confirmed at the moment but if it's true then I'm disappointed that Kerry gave these ass-clowns the time of day. Their stories are so factually incorrect, full of strange, improbable, gothic details and strongly refuted by many credible individuals that anything that bolsters their legitimacy should be avoided by the Kerry campaign at all costs.
Which swift boat did you serve on? I seem to have forgotten.

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
It's Captain Pike, the first captain on the Swift Boat Enterprise.
DVD Talk Legend

Then why are we up to three Kerry story changes since this messy affair started?
Old 08-24-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Over 200 Swift Boat Vets vs. John Kerry...
hmmm...I wonder who is telling the truth ?
Who has more to gain here by lying ?
hmmm...
Old 08-24-04, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

Which one did you serve on?
Old 08-24-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The same could easily be said for Kerry's view of the events. You give him the benefit of the doubt, though. Why so quick to condemn them and support Kerry? ABB Blinders?

Kerry's campaign now says is possible first Purple Heart was awarded for unintentional self-inflicted wound...

Kerry received Purple Heart for wounds suffered on 12/2/68...

In Kerry's own journal written 9 days later, he writes he and his crew, quote, 'hadn't been shot at yet'...
Old 08-24-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
X posted this Drudge article here.
I think this needs it's own thread.
It has nothing to do with Dole.
Old 08-24-04, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Struz
Over 200 Swift Boat Vets vs. John Kerry...
hmmm...I wonder who is telling the truth ?
Who has more to gain here by lying ?
hmmm...

There were 200 Swift Boat crew members on the river that day? Between five boats? That's 40 guys per boat, counting the men on Kerry's boat, all of whom support his version of events (as do the men in the boat behind him.) So that actually leaves 3 boats to hold those 200 men. 66 men per boat.

Last edited by Captain Pike; 08-24-04 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by General Zod
Kerry's campaign now says is possible first Purple Heart was awarded for unintentional self-inflicted wound...

In Kerry's own journal written 9 days later, he writes he and his crew, quote, 'hadn't been shot at yet'...
Christmas in Cambodia and just how many boats fled (he said 5, now says only his) being the other two that have changed.
Old 08-24-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this needs it's own thread.
It has nothing to do with Dole.
Valid point.
Old 08-24-04, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by General Zod
The same could easily be said for Kerry's view of the events. You give him the benefit of the doubt, though. Why so quick to condemn them and support Kerry? ABB Blinders?

I give him the benefit of the doubt because the US Navy backs up his version of events, the men on his boat back up his version of events, the men in the boat behind his back up his version of events and the only other living officer who was on the river that day backs up his version of events. Never mind that John O'Neil has habitually lied about the incident (he said only Sunday that Kerry's boat took no fire even though everyone on that boat said that it did and that O'Neil's boat was well down the river behind Kerry's at the time) and that many of the other SBVTs have changed their stories rather dramatically over the years (many of these same men supported Kerry just a handful of years ago.)
Old 08-24-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There were 200 Swift Boat crew members on the river that day? Between five boats? That's 40 guys per boat, not counting the men on Kerry's boat, all of whom support his version of events (as to the men in the boat behind him.) So that actually leaves 3 boats to hold those 200 men. 66 men per boat.

From the Swift Boat Vets website:

John Kerry has been able to convince about 13 men who served on Swift boats in the Mekong Delta to support him, 7 or 8 of whom were at various times crew members on his own 6-man boat. Those are the men the Kerry campaign so prominently featured at the Democratic Convention. The photograph we have posted at SwiftVets.com shows Kerry with 19 of his fellow Swift boat OICs (Officers In Charge) in Coastal Division 11. Four OICs were not present for the photograph. Only one of his 23 fellow OICs from Coastal Division 11 supports John Kerry.

Overall, more than 250 Swift boat veterans are on the record questioning Kerry's fitness to serve as Commander-in-Chief. That list includes his entire chain of command -- every single officer Kerry served under in Vietnam. The Kerry game plan is to ignore all this and pretend that the 13 veterans his campaign jets around the country and puts up in 5-star hotels really represent the truth about his short, controversial combat tour.

The Swift boats fought in groups, so the other OICs who fought alongside Kerry know him well and can accurately describe what he did and did not do. In many cases Kerry's fellow OICs had a better perspective than his own crew members, since the latter had no way to determine whether he was following orders and how well he worked with his peers.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/index.php?topic=FAQ

Sorry I said 200 when it should have been more than 250.

Old 08-24-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chew
Then why are we up to three Kerry story changes since this messy affair started?
For the benefit of those of us who aren't keeping track, would you mind laying out what those changes are?
Old 08-24-04, 01:49 PM
Banned

Overall, more than 250 Swift boat veterans are on the record questioning Kerry's fitness to serve as Commander-in-Chief.

So? If these guys have no strong history with Kerry on which to base their assessment then their opinion means very little. I'm sure we could find 250 longshoremen, 250 dentists, 250 postmen who think that Kerry is unfit to serve as Commander-in-Chief. Big deal.

Sorry, I've seen nothing to convince me that the SBVT are anything but a bunch of bitter crackpots who can't even get their own stories straight.
Old 08-24-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honest question -- where's William Rood, the Trib editor who just came out in support of Kerry's version?
Old 08-24-04, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JasonF
Honest question...
Yeah, like a little Michael Moore-esque propaganda is going to convince me
Old 08-24-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He must have been one of the four "not present" as acknowledged on the SB vet's site info above.
Old 08-24-04, 01:57 PM
Banned

Kerry and Brant slept in the same quarters, and Brant used to put Kerry back to bed at night when Kerry was sleepwalking.

I'm surprised that the army didn't discharge you for sleepwalking back then.
Old 08-24-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
For the benefit of those of us who aren't keeping track, would you mind laying out what those changes are?
1) Christmas in Cambodia
2) The number of boats that "fled"
3) What General Zod posted above.
Old 08-24-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by OldDude
He must have been one of the four "not present" as acknowledged on the SB vet's site info above.
But the site says:
the Kerry campaign so prominently featured at the Democratic Convention. The photograph we have posted at SwiftVets.com shows Kerry with 19 of his fellow Swift boat OICs (Officers In Charge) in Coastal Division 11. Four OICs were not present for the photograph. Only one of his 23 fellow OICs from Coastal Division 11 supports John Kerry.
And it also says:
August 23 update: The Kerry campaign has evidently persuaded formerly neutral Swift officers Rich McCann and Rich Baker to support John Kerry's candidacy. We have adjusted our graphic display and text to reflect this change.

Only 3 of John Kerry's 23 fellow Swift boat commanders from Coastal Division 11 supports his candidacy today.
So as of August 23 -- yesterday -- they are claiming that of the 22 non-Kerry OICs, only 3 support Kerry's version. But either that's not true -- Rood also supports Kerry -- or Rood is not in the same "universe" of OICs as the ones SBVT were hyping (maybe he came to Nam later, or maybe he was in a different Division). But if Rood is not in the same "universe," that leads one to ask whether SBVT are showing us the most relevant "universe" of OICs -- is this "19 out of 23 OICs don't support Kerry" nothing more than a misleading statistic?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.