Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is John McCain so important this election?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my own thoughts on this, but I want to hear comments from both sides of the aisle.

We had Kerry courting McCain for VP and now using him in ads. Democrats quote him constantly when talking about the Swift Boat Vets.

Bush uses McCain on the campaign trail.

Why all the focus?
Old 08-24-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

John McCain is very popular with moderate Republicans, and his presence is meant to woo them.
Old 08-24-04, 09:56 AM

John McClane has been consistantly popular since the late 1980's, when he first uttered those fateful words "Yippee-Ki-Yay, Motherfucker!"
Old 08-24-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because John McCain and the media have a full-blown sweaty love affair.
Old 08-24-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
John McClane has been consistantly popular since the late 1980's, when he first uttered those fateful words "Yippee-Ki-Yay, Motherfucker!"
You are lucky we can say fuck now, otherwise that joke wouldn't work.
Old 08-24-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk God

He's not!!

Red Dog is right about McCain and the media. It's only the media's take - since McCain has never stopped being the media darling.
Old 08-24-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by classicman2
He's not!!

Red Dog is right about McCain and the media. It's only the media's take - since McCain has never stopped being the media darling.
You are lucky we can say "darling" now, otherwise that joke wouldn't work.
Old 08-24-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dork
You are lucky we can say "darling" now, otherwise that joke wouldn't work.
Old 08-24-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's just a media love affair: do you think the candidates are reacting to that then?
Old 08-24-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chew
If it's just a media love affair: do you think the candidates are reacting to that then?
We are so lucky we can say ********** now, otherwise that joke wouldn't work.

Edit: We still can't say **********.
Old 08-24-04, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not just a media love affair - McCain is easily the Republican who is most popular among Democrats, and more importantly, Independents (you know, swing voters). The only other Republican who even comes close is Rudolph Giuliani.
Old 08-24-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kids like him, too. He did all kinds of stupid stuff for Comedy Central and the Daily Show.
Old 08-24-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wendersfan
It's not just a media love affair - McCain is easily the Republican who is most popular among Democrats, and more importantly, Independents (you know, swing voters). The only other Republican who even comes close is Rudolph Giuliani.

And why do you think he is the most popular Republican among Democrats? Do you not believe that the media has something to do with this?
Old 08-24-04, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
And why do you think he is the most popular Republican among Democrats? Do you not believe that the media has something to do with this?
Hence my point that he's not just a media darling.
Old 08-24-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

The media told him McCain was the most popular Republican among Democrats.

Obviously many Democrats crossed over and voted for McCain in the Republican primaries in 2000. I will argue that had precious little to do with their 'love' of John McCain. They simply wanted to deny Bush the Republican nomination.

Kids like him, too. He did all kinds of stupid stuff for Comedy Central and the Daily Show.
Unfortunately, for America, McCain has also done some stupid stuff on the floor of the United States Senate.
Old 08-24-04, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by classicman2
Obviously many Democrats crossed over and voted for McCain in the Republican primaries in 2000. I will argue that had precious little to do with their 'love' of John McCain. They simply wanted to deny Bush the Republican nomination.
That's one reason. Another is that he's perceived as a "straight shooter" and the "one honest man" in a den of thieves. This is obviously bullshit, but people still believe it.

A (Democrat) friend asked me recently why McCain was supporting Bush. I guess the fact the two men agree on about 80% - 90% of the issues never entered his mind.
Old 08-24-04, 11:14 AM

McCain! Whoo-Hoo!!

Old 08-24-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because John McCain and the media have a full-blown sweaty love affair.
And I've no idea why. Although I did hear they are going to snub his speech at the RNC.. so perhaps there's a lovers quarrel going on..
Old 08-24-04, 12:33 PM

Colin Powell? I mean, he's knee-deep in the administration, but people seem to still like him...
Old 08-24-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by BabiG
Colin Powell? I mean, he's knee-deep in the administration, but people seem to still like him...

The media, John McCain, and Colin Powell are having a 3-way.
Old 08-24-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The media, John McCain, and Colin Powell are having a 3-way.
Pics. This thread needs pics.
Old 08-24-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

McCain's only reason for being involved in the 2004 election is to piss off Cman so much that he votes for Nader.
Old 08-24-04, 01:00 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
I honestly didn't think McCain was that important. He's sort of a side bar to the Kerry/Bush slug fest. Every once in awhile he gets in a few sound bites on the issues, but then fades away into the background. There are 2 things that are actually important to this election. The war and the economy.
Old 08-24-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

With John McCain as President, I wonder how long it would be before we were engaged in a nuclear war?
Old 08-24-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's something that seems to be flying in the face of the "media darling" statement:

Sen. John McCain won't make the cut, and neither will former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

With their limited primetime coverage of this year's political conventions, the broadcast networks will forgo carrying the remarks of these two political icons when the Republicans open their confab Monday in Gotham.

Their rationale? The public apparently doesn't want the broadcast nets to turn over their primetime skeds to the confabs -- and if folks do want to overdose, they can tune in those round-the-clock cable news nets.

ABC, CBS and NBC each are devoting only three primetime hours to the GOP's four-day gathering, the same amount of time allotted to the Democratic convention in Boston last month.

Monday night will be dark altogether, just as Tuesday was dark during the Dem confab, when the nets didn't carry U.S. Senate candidate Barack Obama's rousing speech. (When setting their coverage skeds, the nets didn't know who would be speaking on what day, aside from the main speeches by the candidates.)

McCain is skedded to speak shortly after 10 p.m. ET Monday, opening day of the convention. Following his speech will be a brief 9/11 tribute and then remarks and benediction by Giuliani.
Link

They are only covering 3 hours per convention and had to choose between Monday and Tuesday this go-round. Maybe Ah-nold is the bigger darling now, he's getting the Big 3 primetime slot on Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.