TIA
Old 08-24-04, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget a helmet, and no speeding!
Old 08-24-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't recommend them from personal experience because I don't even have my endorsement yet, but since when does lack of proof stop any opinions from being given in Otterville?

Anyway, getting a bike etc is one of my main "wants" when I can afford to do so. I've heard a lot of people recommend Buell for first time riders, and from looking at their site, I'm definitely leaning in that direction.

I plan on taking hte Rider's Edge course from a HD dealership. Meets the MSF criteria, and then some, although a bit more costly. The big advantage for me will be the fact that they use Buell Blasts as the training bike, so I'll get to check the bike out first hand before buying one.

By the way, Buell is partially owned by HD, and they're sold at HD dealerships.

www.buell.com

Edit: Just checked the site, brand new Buell blast (their entry level bike) is $4595. So it'd probably put you over your budget by the time you added accessories, tax, insurance, etc etc
Old 08-24-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so jealous. I did a thread on this months ago but I've yet to do the course.

Where did you take your course?
Old 08-24-04, 08:01 AM

I have had a variety of different motorcycles and ridden a lot more. I would highly recommend buying a cheap (less than $1000) motorcycle from the classifieds. This way you can ride it, see if you LIKE having a motorcycle before you lay out a few grand and buy "nice" motorcycle. I paid $300 for my first bike before I upgraded to a $2000 bike.

The Harley Motorcycle course is a good idea. In fact, I just participated in a Buell Battle Trax (kinda like autocross on a motorcycle) this past weekend at a Harley Dealer.

IMO a Buell is NOT a good motorcycle. It pains me to say this, but buying a buell is like buying an American car. I would highly recommend the Suzuki line myself but any Japanese bike is better then a Buell IMO. ALTHOUGH, there is a test ride a buell program, and harley will let you ride a brand new buell for nothing. (this is odd, most places will NOT let you test ride a new bike like a car). The newer Buell's are OK, but the older (2 or more years) Buell's are crap - just ride one, or watch it, it vibrates like a giant vibrator and will make you arms numb. The replacement parts are cheaper and more people know how to service Jap. bikes as well. Not to mention that Buell's are just as overpirced as harley -- BTW a buell blast only has 34 hp.

Most modern motorcycles have a agressive riding position and IMO are not good starter bikes, whereas an older bike with a more upright position would be easy to learn on.

A popular modern "beginner" bike is the Suzuki SV-650 here is a link to the other "standard" bikes: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...d/Default.aspx

Again, I would still recommend getting a cheap used bike first, to determine if you are into biking first.

You can check out craiglist, classifieds, ebay, etc for bikes for sale. If you have you mind set on a particular bike, you can probably find a Forum dedicated to that style with bikes for sale.

I am selling my bike for $1200 if you are interested!

I hope this helps.
Old 08-24-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get a cheap used bike first. There's always conflict around what constitutes a "beginner" bike. Honda Rebels (250cc) and Kawasaki Ninjas (250cc) are popular choices among those with little to no riding experience. The advantage of them is if you can find a cheap one, you can often sell it for as much or almost as much as you paid when you upgrade.

http://www.beginnerbikes.com is an excellent resource.
Old 08-24-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jasonr114
The Harley Motorcycle course is a good idea.
I somewhat disagree on this. While it is just as good as MSF (which it is based on) it is often 3-4 times as expensive. Not worth it, IMO.
Old 08-24-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Phil L loves motorcyclin'. He'll be along shortly unless this is his day volunteering at the Senior Center.
Old 08-24-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Phil L loves motorcyclin'. He'll be along shortly unless this is his day volunteering at the Senior Center.
Giving spongebaths
Old 08-24-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Giving spongebaths
No. Spongebaths are Thursday at the Old Folk's Home.

Tuesday is Parcheesi at the Senior Center.

Saturday is Cheerleader Car Wash Day at the Hess Station.

Phil L is a busy guy. GET IT RIGHT!
Old 08-24-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-24-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A popular modern "beginner" bike is the Suzuki SV-650 here is a link to the other "standard" bikes: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...d/Default.aspx

I agree with this bike as a good begginer bike, and I like Suzuki as well (I also like Honda, you can't go wrong with either).

Almost any Japanese bike with these specs is good. My advice is to slowly travel less crowded streets until you are really really comfortable with the bike. When you no longer have to 'think' about where the controls are and what you are doing, you are use to the bike. Kind of like learning to drive a stick shift car, once you stop worrying about letting the clutch out on a steep hill, you have learned

You should buy the bike used and have a mechanic look it over. You don't want to wreck due to someone else's lack of mechanical skills.

I have noticed that Arai and Shoei helmets have gotten obnoxiously expensive, otherwise I would recommend them (I own one of each, but bought a few years ago when they were reasonable).

Go to a motorcycle shop and try on as many different model helmets as they have, only go with one that feels comfortable to you. They all have to meet the same saftely standards, so comfort (and style, I like full face) is the big issue. Don't get sold up by salesman hype on the $700 helmet is safer.

Buy a LEATHER jacket or riding suit. They are worth the expense. I did a combo of a full grain leather riding jacket (about $500) and then ballistic nylon pants (about $100). Gloves are ciritcal as well. A nice set if leather motorcycle gloves will run you $75 - $100

Boots - wear boots that cover your ankle bone, and are leather of course . You don't have to buy specfic riding boots, there are plenty of other boots out there that will do the job (figure $100 or so if you don't already have some).

You will be glad you spent the money on good gear if you ever go down. I am telling you this as someone who has bought all the gear and has never been down, but I have seen plenty of my friends crash and it is not fun at all when you are in jeans and a T-shirt with no gloves
Old 08-24-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats! As far as what motorcycle you buy, that's personal choice time. I agree with starting on an inexpensive bike. I did and it worked out great. I would hesitate from buying anything smaller than 500 CC for your first bike though. I went from 200cc Kawasaki to 1340cc Soft tail Harley and man what a difference in the weight of the bike and what the bike could perform. Never cared much for Buell, but Ducati makes some damn fine machines.

Best of luck and be careful.....
Old 08-24-04, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd highly recommend any Honda cruiser to start out with. The Shadow VLX (600cc) is an excellent starter bike in that it is easy to ride, easy to find used, and has a bullet proof engine.

In addition too/or instead of a leather jacket, you might also consider the armored textile jackets. There are several out now that don't make you look like a power ranger. Since they are made of a mesh material, you stay cooler, but also have the protecion of the armor (usually shoulders, elbows, and back).

I also wear a textile/leather gloves for their breathability. I prefer the textile gear due to the nicely oppressive heat and humidity of Texas, but since you ar in Cali, it may not be as big an issue.

HJC helmets are a very popular alternative to the more expensive Arai/Shoei helmets. Just make sure you fit your helmet properly, every manufacturer seems to fit just a little different.

And of course I'll use any remote excuse to post a pic of my machine!

Old 08-24-04, 10:52 AM

I just assumend the harley motorcycle course was free - as they run battletrax for free. I agree, do a cheaper training course. In PA the state has a traingin course where they even supply motorcycles, you state might have the same.

Safety gear - I forgot to mention, that is a good idea. I woudl highly recommend a leather jacket or some sort of nylon balastic jacket. Although, usually a cheap motorcycle leather jacket will do (not a fashion one). You should also get a good set of protective gloves. Afull size boat for akle support is necessary. You could go for leather pants, or find a pay of jeans w/ kevlar layers.

I cannot STRESS the importance of a FULL face helmet. These helmets offer the most protection. I would never buy a crappy "fashion" helmet that you see many harley riders (not all) wearing.

That being said, hopefully you will never "need" the protective gear, but for a beginning rider in and urban area it is almost necessary.

Although, I ride my bike about once a week w/ no helmet, sandles, shorts, and a t-shirt!

good luck... i like the idea of the 600cc or smaller cruisers those are all good started bikes.

older jap. bikes (mid-80's) and back look like a cruiser but are really the fast sport bikes of the times, they will probably perform better (speed wise) than a modern cruiser.

I have a 1980 GS 1100 E that was the "gsxr-1100" of 1980 - it is rellay fast still, and can beat most modern non-sport bikes....

If you do decide on the "cheap" used bike you The Suzuki GS series is know as a "bullet proof" bike that only has requires rountine maitenance.

here is my GS which is for sale!

Old 08-24-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
No. Spongebaths are Thursday at the Old Folk's Home.

Tuesday is Parcheesi at the Senior Center.

Saturday is Cheerleader Car Wash Day at the Hess Station.

Don't forget the monday evening photography course I teach at the school for wayward girls. No lack of willing models there.

And there is also my free counciling sessions for recently divorced women on wed. Ummm...divorcees...

Phil L is a busy guy. GET IT RIGHT!

Hey, what can I say?! I'm a people person.
Old 08-24-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you do decide on the "cheap" used bike you The Suzuki GS series is know as a "bullet proof" bike that only has requires rountine maitenance.

Gotta agree with jasonr there. I had an 82 Suzuki 650. It's probably on about it's fifth or sixth owner right now and I bet it's still operating reliably.

So then my advice to Mole is get a fairly cheap beater bike first. Spend some time riding that and gaining experience, and at the same time check out other bikes to decide what you might like to ride at some point down the line.

I currently ride an 03 HD FXDWG and...it looks like I'm gonna soon get my 00 HD 1200 Sportster back from my wife's cousin who has had it for the past year. That will be fun. I miss my little Sporty.
Old 08-24-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread.

You can get by wearing a leather jacket, jeans, boots, gloves and helmet. I recently saw a graphic that showed 1/3 of all hits on helmets are on the chinbar. I recommend a full-face helmet. I like my face shaped the way it is. Wear a helmet around the shop for at least 20 minutes before you buy it. It's rude to try on a helmet at the dealer and then buy the same model online. The dealer's price is higher because he's dedicating sales space to the helmet you just tried on.

Get an inexpensive bike. Don't get one with lots of bodywork, everyone (except 4KRG) tips it over when they're learning to ride. My first bike cost $600. I didn't like it a lot, but I learned what I want and don't want in a motorcycle. (I haven't had another cruiser since.)

Read the classified ads, bring a mechanically-minded friend, and ride it around before you buy it.
Old 08-24-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Started off with the Suzuki GS series back in the early 80's. Moved up to an 85 Honda Goldwing. After my son was born in 89, the bike went in 90. Tried again a few years ago but my wife went ballistic when I tried to give the kids a ride, so I sold it.

Start small, work your way up. Yes you can get killed. I went over once going around a curve too fast. Something I'll never forget. Slowed me down and more interested in touring than flying down the road.
Old 08-24-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nick Danger
Get an inexpensive bike. Don't get one with lots of bodywork, everyone (except 4KRG) tips it over when they're learning to ride.
no one but the people I ride with believe me

I will make it even harder to believe The first bike I purchased was a 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (for those that know the GSXR 1100, this is the same engine with different cams), it now has 25,000 miles on it (and a boat load of custom work, putting out 128hp at the rear wheel) without a lay down, tip over, or scratch (several close calls, but no contact)

However, I learned to ride on a 1985 honda interceptor 500cc (and I am 6'5", then 300lbs, now much lighter). It was a friends and he let me ride it a good bit over the years he lived near me (maybe 5 or 6 years). I never laid that one down either, although my friend did several times and so he wouldn't have cared too much if I did.

and so you are sure I am BS-ing you, I have never taken an MSF course or equivalent. I am a self taught street bike rider.

(now we won't discuss any dirt bike riding experience at all, that might make my story above actually believeable )

I understand 'most' riders and what happens. My normal riding buddies over the years have all wrecked at one time or another. The worst was a broken ankle and some road rash. For going down at 70mph that is not bad, he had gear on.

Another friend of mine wrecked his CBR 900RR twice in the first month of ownership. $2000 to replace fairings he felt the pain.

Oh and I know one guy that has been riding street for over 20 years and has NEVER laid a bike down, so it is possible.
Old 08-24-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought a brand new 04 Harley Sporster a couple months. Great first bike but a little out of your range. I had never ridden & now have 3000 miles under my belt. Never had any problems or even a close call.
Old 08-24-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Phil L.
Don't forget the monday evening photography course I teach at the school for wayward girls. No lack of willing models there.

And there is also my free counciling sessions for recently divorced women on wed. Ummm...divorcees...
Wow. The things I don't know about you. Your humanitarianism just never ends.
Old 08-24-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My dream bike

I also like the New Goldwings.
Old 09-04-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sorry to bring up the thread again, but my friend's friend has a cbr 600 S2 for $2k.

does that sound reasonable?

he is the 2nd owner of the bike and has not been dropped before.
Old 09-04-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
How old is it? How many miles? What accessories have been added? Was a previous owner doing burn-outs?

You know that NADA has a used motorcycle price guide. But the numbers aren't more than a ballpark.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.