Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Swiftboat shills are lying? Gasp! Say it aint so!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Swiftboat shills are lying? Gasp! Say it aint so!

Old 08-27-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dimension X
Yeah, this is funny. It looks like the ABBers who told us as recently as a few days ago that Thurlow's boat was too far away from Kerry's to know if there was any gunfire now have to change their tunes yet again.
First, I don't recall ever saying any such thing about Thurlow. I'm pretty sure the words I used were "dirty fucking liar", but I'll go back and check.

To say he was simply mistaken would imply that he had a shred of integrity...and by extension credibility. As it stands, he's just a republican meat puppet.

Second, I haven't seen any editorial on this by myself or anyone else. I'm simply reporting that Thurlow's number 2 says he's full of shit...and yes, it is funny to see these assclowns exposed.
Old 08-27-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally posted by chess
First, I don't recall ever saying any such thing about Thurlow. I'm pretty sure the words I used were "dirty fucking liar", but I'll go back and check.

To say he was simply mistaken would imply that he had a shred of integrity...and by extension credibility. As it stands, he's just a republican meat puppet.

Second, I haven't seen any editorial on this by myself or anyone else. I'm simply reporting that Thurlow's number 2 says he's full of shit...and yes, it is funny to see these assclowns exposed.
First off I wasn't referring to you. I don't recall you saying that about Thurlow either, but then again I tend to try to skip over the posters that have nothing to add to a conversation but the usual partisan bullshit.
Old 08-27-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Non-SBVT, first hand eyewitness speaks out:

Retired Rear Adm. William L. Schachte Jr. said Thursday in his first on-the-record interview about the swift boat veterans dispute that "I was absolutely in the skimmer" in the early morning on Dec. 2, 1968, when Lt. (j.g.) John Kerry was involved in an incident that led to his first Purple Heart.

"Kerry nicked himself with a M-79 [grenade launcher]," Schachte said in a telephone interview from his home in Charleston, S.C. He said, "Kerry requested a Purple Heart."

Schachte, a lieutenant, said he was in command of the small boat called a Boston whaler or skimmer, with Kerry aboard in his first combat mission in the Vietnam War. The third crew member was an enlisted man, whose name Schachte did not remember.

Two enlisted men who appeared at the podium with Kerry at the Democratic National Convention in Boston have asserted that they were alone in the small boat with Kerry, with no other officer present. Schachte said it "was not possible" for Kerry to have gone out alone so soon after joining the swift boat command in late November 1968.

Kerry supporters said no critics of the Democratic presidential nominee ever were aboard a boat with him in combat. Washington lawyer Lanny Davis has contended that Schachte was not aboard the Boston whaler and says the statement that Schachte was aboard in Unfit for Command undermines that critical book's credibility.

Schachte until now has refused to speak out publicly on this question and agreed to give only two interviews. One was a television interview with Lisa Meyers of NBC News, for broadcast Thursday night. The second was a print interview with me, for publication today.

Schachte described the use of the skimmer operating very close to shore as a technique that he personally designed to flush out enemy forces so that the larger swift boats could move in. Around 3 a.m. on Dec. 2, Schachte said, the skimmer -- code-named "Batman" -- fired a hand-held flare. He said that after Kerry's M-16 rifle jammed, the new officer picked up the M-79 and, "I heard a 'thunk.' There was no fire from the enemy," he said.

Patrick Runyon and William Zaladonis are the two enlisted men who said they were aboard the skimmer and did not know Schachte. However, two other former officers interviewed Thursday confirmed that Schachte was the originator of the technique and always was aboard the Boston whaler for these missions.

Grant Hibbard, who as a lieutenant commander was Schachte's superior officer, confirmed that Schachte always went on these skimmer missions and said, "I don't think he [Kerry] was alone" on his first assignment. Hibbard said he had told Kerry to "forget it" when he asked for a Purple Heart.

Ted Peck, another swift boat commander, said, "I remember Bill [Schachte] telling me it didn't happen" -- that is, Kerry getting an enemy-inflicted wound. He said it would be "impossible" for Kerry to have been in the skimmer without Schachte.

"I was astonished by Kerry's version" [in his book Tour of Duty] of what happened Dec. 2, Schachte said Thursday. When asked to support the Kerry critics in the swift boat controversy, Schachte said, "I didn't want to get involved." But he said he gradually began to change his mind when he saw his own involvement and credibility challenged, starting with Davis on CNN's "Crossfire" on Aug. 12.

The next time he saw Kerry after the first Purple Heart incident, Schachte said, was "about 20 years" later on the U.S. Senate subway in the basement of the Russell Senate Office Building. "I called, 'Hey, John.' He replied, 'Batman.' I was absolutely amazed by his memory." He said they "talked about having lunch" but never did it.

Schachte said he never has been contacted by or talked to anybody in the Bush-Cheney campaign or any Republican organization. He said he has been a political independent who votes for candidates of both parties.
SunTimes
Old 08-27-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you get "nicked" by a grenade launcher?
Old 08-27-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by dick_grayson
How do you get "nicked" by a grenade launcher?
The SBVT version is that a grenade he fired from his launcher hit some rocks. The rocks threw debris in the air in the ensuing explosion, and it was a piece of that debris and/or shrapnel from the grenade which injured Kerry.
Old 08-27-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
The SBVT version is that a grenade he fired from his launcher hit some rocks. The rocks threw debris in the air in the ensuing explosion, and it was a piece of that debris and/or shrapnel from the grenade which injured Kerry.
gotcha
Old 08-27-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 634 Likes on 393 Posts
http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak...s-novak27.html

Admiral speaks out, disputes Kerry's account of 1st wound

NEW YORK -- Retired Rear Adm. William L. Schachte Jr. said Thursday in his first on-the-record interview about the swift boat veterans dispute that "I was absolutely in the skimmer" in the early morning on Dec. 2, 1968, when Lt. (j.g.) John Kerry was involved in an incident that led to his first Purple Heart.

"Kerry nicked himself with a M-79 [grenade launcher]," Schachte said in a telephone interview from his home in Charleston, S.C. He said, "Kerry requested a Purple Heart."

Schachte, a lieutenant, said he was in command of the small boat called a Boston whaler or skimmer, with Kerry aboard in his first combat mission in the Vietnam War. The third crew member was an enlisted man, whose name Schachte did not remember.

Two enlisted men who appeared at the podium with Kerry at the Democratic National Convention in Boston have asserted that they were alone in the small boat with Kerry, with no other officer present. Schachte said it "was not possible" for Kerry to have gone out alone so soon after joining the swift boat command in late November 1968.

Kerry supporters said no critics of the Democratic presidential nominee ever were aboard a boat with him in combat. Washington lawyer Lanny Davis has contended that Schachte was not aboard the Boston whaler and says the statement that Schachte was aboard in Unfit for Command undermines that critical book's credibility.

Schachte until now has refused to speak out publicly on this question and agreed to give only two interviews. One was a television interview with Lisa Meyers of NBC News, for broadcast Thursday night. The second was a print interview with me, for publication today.

Schachte described the use of the skimmer operating very close to shore as a technique that he personally designed to flush out enemy forces so that the larger swift boats could move in. Around 3 a.m. on Dec. 2, Schachte said, the skimmer -- code-named "Batman" -- fired a hand-held flare. He said that after Kerry's M-16 rifle jammed, the new officer picked up the M-79 and, "I heard a 'thunk.' There was no fire from the enemy," he said.

Patrick Runyon and William Zaladonis are the two enlisted men who said they were aboard the skimmer and did not know Schachte. However, two other former officers interviewed Thursday confirmed that Schachte was the originator of the technique and always was aboard the Boston whaler for these missions.

Grant Hibbard, who as a lieutenant commander was Schachte's superior officer, confirmed that Schachte always went on these skimmer missions and said, "I don't think he [Kerry] was alone" on his first assignment. Hibbard said he had told Kerry to "forget it" when he asked for a Purple Heart.

Ted Peck, another swift boat commander, said, "I remember Bill [Schachte] telling me it didn't happen" -- that is, Kerry getting an enemy-inflicted wound. He said it would be "impossible" for Kerry to have been in the skimmer without Schachte.

"I was astonished by Kerry's version" [in his book Tour of Duty] of what happened Dec. 2, Schachte said Thursday. When asked to support the Kerry critics in the swift boat controversy, Schachte said, "I didn't want to get involved." But he said he gradually began to change his mind when he saw his own involvement and credibility challenged, starting with Davis on CNN's "Crossfire" on Aug. 12.

The next time he saw Kerry after the first Purple Heart incident, Schachte said, was "about 20 years" later on the U.S. Senate subway in the basement of the Russell Senate Office Building. "I called, 'Hey, John.' He replied, 'Batman.' I was absolutely amazed by his memory." He said they "talked about having lunch" but never did it.

Schachte said he never has been contacted by or talked to anybody in the Bush-Cheney campaign or any Republican organization. He said he has been a political independent who votes for candidates of both parties
Old 08-27-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dimension X
First off I wasn't referring to you. I don't recall you saying that about Thurlow either, but then again I tend to try to skip over the posters that have nothing to add to a conversation but the usual partisan bullshit.
you quoted me chucklehead. i suppose you did it accidentally whilst skipping over my bullshit post.

Hey, i'm just saying.

Last edited by chess; 08-28-04 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm closing this due to length and because I dont think its going anywhere. Feel free to take the discussion to one of the other swift boat threads but keep it civil. Name calling, even in jest, is NOT allowed.