Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you keep a loaded gun in your house?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you keep a loaded gun in your house?
Yes - a loaded weapon is at my home
24.36%
Yes - but not loaded
8.33%
Yes - but not loaded and not accessable (stowed away somewhere)
5.77%
No
61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-04, 10:14 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How accessable are any weapons at your house?
Old 08-17-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nope, no guns.
Old 08-17-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't, but I want one. Unfortunately, it's a mountain of red tape to be properly licensed.
Old 08-17-04, 10:21 AM

I kept a loaded gun when I lived in Michigan and Virginia. When I moved to NYC I had to leave it behind at my parent's house because of the insanely restrictive gun ownership laws here.
Old 08-17-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BJacks
I kept a loaded gun when I lived in Michigan and Virginia. When I moved to NYC I had to leave it behind at my parent's house because of the insanely restrictive gun ownership laws here.
insane? like we don't have enough crime here.

C'mon, I watched Bowling For Columbine....yeah, I want to get a gun for opening a bank account or I want to buy a gun for $1.50 from the black market.
Old 08-17-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No gun. My only weapon is my chihuahua.
Old 08-17-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't own even own a gun. I might remedy that one day, but I am not in too much of a hurry to.
Old 08-17-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm only packing compressed air-powered b.b. heat.

edit: I completely skipped the "loaded" part of the question. Yes, my gun currently has a bb in the chamber and I only need to twist the co2 cartridge into place and I'm ready to cause a small, annoying injury to any intruder. And yes, I know: With great power comes great responsibility.

Last edited by GoVegan; 08-17-04 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Dabaomb
insane? like we don't have enough crime here.

Most criminals don't own registered weapons, so those insanely restrictive gun laws are not affecting them. However, they are affecting law-abiding citizens who own firearms or wish to own a firearm.

Last edited by B.A.; 08-17-04 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

B.A.

I don't own even own a gun. I might remedy that one day, but I am not in too much of a hurry to.
I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do ... with a gun rack?
You don't like it? Fine. You know, Wayne, if you're not careful, you're gonna lose me.
I lost you two months ago! We broke up! Are you mental?

das
Old 08-17-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to say that, but I thought I would pass the buck and let someone else do it. Leave it up to the President of the forum to not pass on the opportunity.
Old 08-17-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a fairly descent assortment of handguns, rifles and shotguns. All of which are stored in a fireproof - locked safe in the basement with trigger locks and the keys are hidden. I don't see the need for a loaded gun in the house given the neighborhood I live in as well as the fact that I have two children.

I do however keep a baseball bat under the bed to keep awway the Boogey man.....
Old 08-17-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now...

I have a .40 caliber semi-auto next to my side of the bed, my wife has a .357 magnum revolver next to her side. There is a loaded 12 ga. in the bedroom closet.

I have a .45 in the drawer next to where I sit watching TV, and a .38 snubbie revolver in a drawer next to my desktop computer.

We have had home invasions in the area.

So my answer is yes.
Old 08-17-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B.A.

Most criminals don't own registered weapons, so those insanely restrictive gun laws are not affecting them. However, they are affecting law-abiding citizens who own firearms or wish to own a firearm.
yeah, all we need is shootouts

IMO, the only ppl that really need guns are shopowners in bad neighborhoods. The average joe doesn't need a gun. I could be wrong, but I think it's more common to have a young child in the family get their hands on the gun than to actually need it to fend off a robber.
Old 08-17-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Minor Threat
I do however keep a baseball bat under the bed to keep awway the Boogey man.....
Same here. Where I live, we have more problems with that damn Boogey man than we do with break-ins, so having a weapon of any kind really doesn't matter.

I also keep a baseball bat in my car, just in case. It's aluminum too, so it makes a nice "clank" when it connects with hoodlum skull.
Old 08-17-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a loaded weapon....in my pants ...
Old 08-17-04, 11:05 AM

No guns. I do have a knife stashed in the bedroom, though. Not that it would do anything, really.
Old 08-17-04, 11:09 AM

yeah, all we need is shootouts

IMO, the only ppl that really need guns are shopowners in bad neighborhoods. The average joe doesn't need a gun. I could be wrong, but I think it's more common to have a young child in the family get their hands on the gun than to actually need it to fend off a robber.
I like to target shoot. Why shouldn't I be allowed to own a gun for that as well as for my own protection? And I don't have a young child, nor are there children in my apartment at any time. If a criminal in NYC wants a gun, they'll get one. The majority of the people who feel the effects of such a restriction are law-abiding citizens like myself.
Old 08-17-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No gun. I have sharks with laser beams on thier frickin' heads.
Old 08-17-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Guns.

I prefer to use my bat or my fists. Anyone who has the balls to break into my place better be ready for an ass kicking.
Old 08-17-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BJacks
I like to target shoot. Why shouldn't I be allowed to own a gun for that as well as for my own protection? And I don't have a young child, nor are there children in my apartment at any time. If a criminal in NYC wants a gun, they'll get one. The majority of the people who feel the effects of such a restriction are law-abiding citizens like myself.
I've lived in NYC for 7 years now and have never come close to being the victim of a crime *knock on wood*. I don't think that we need to be havin' guns in NYC. Plus, it's not like there's a lot of target ranges in NYC.
Old 08-17-04, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
No Guns.

I prefer to use my bat or my fists. Anyone who has the balls to break into my place better be ready for an ass kicking.

Esp if they are an elf
Old 08-17-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Pump shotgun, under the bed, pushbutton trigger lock. Box of shells (number 6 birdshot) in nightstand drawer. Whole house alarm with motion detector in garage. I can load and be in the LR in less than 45 seconds. The sound of me jacking a round in the chamber will probably send any intruder running.
Old 08-17-04, 11:19 AM

Plus, it's not like there's a lot of target ranges in NYC.
Maybe that's because people can't own guns? Just a thought.
Old 08-17-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
Pump shotgun, under the bed, pushbutton trigger lock. Box of shells (number 6 birdshot) in nightstand drawer.
Remington 870?

I keep mine loaded but not one in the chamber so the bad guy still gets the benefit of hearing me rack one.
My only problem then is cleaning up the puddle of pee he left behind before running for his life.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.