Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Man, wife's engagement ring - diamond fell out! Take my advice ...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-13-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife just noticed that her solitaire in her engagement ring is gone. Fell out I would guess (duh!). It was a standard 4 claw (platinum) setting and one of them had broken off enough for the diamond to be compromised. Anyways, it's outta there and it's a real b*tch to look around for something that small. Of course, we don't know where it went loose so it's literally a needle in a haystack. She was out around the house, watered the garden and went to Ikea and her friend noticed.

So, take my advice:

- periodically take your ring into a trusted jeweler to be checked out for stress fractures or whatever. We hadn't done this in awhile so who knows whether it would have prevented this from happening.

- considering the amount of stories of precious stones going missing that i've heard but never took really seriously ... consider having your engagement ring/etc put into a Tiffany setting (6 claw/prong) or seriously considering a setting that's more secure like a round bezel or a half bezel.

- supplant the original engagement ring with a nice wedding band and store the ring for safekeeping. I know that this kind of cancels out the whole wedding ring thing ... but something to consider.

- supplant the original engagement ring with a cubic zirconia. Modern day CZ is extremely impressive for much, much less cost ... as long as you don't mind the possible cheeze factor. At least you know you have the original at home or in the safety deposit box.

- take out insurance if you think it's worth it. I wished I did. It was a pretty expensive ring. Custom made by a very well known international designer/jeweler who had just retired after I bought it. Now I have an expensive shank without the rock.

She's in a bit of shock still ... the sentimental value is quite high although the material value is still just that ... material. I'm not too worried about it.

Sucks to be sure ... but it's not like my son got kidnapped or got hit by a car or is seriously sick. I can always replace the diamond. It just takes money (quite alot of it actually though).

So, since we get the usual engagement ring threads here and there ... heed my advice!

In any case, i'm currently looking at www.niceice.com for some suitable replacement (not trying to advertise). Still have more looking around the garden and home first.

Sigh.
Old 08-13-04, 02:38 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's fairly easy to do periodic checks yourself by using a pair of tweezers to see if you can wiggle or rotate the stone in the setting.

Extra prongs are a good idea for larger stones.
Old 08-13-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that happened to my mother too
She thought she lost it while gardening and we spent a lot of time looking for it. Years later (and after we moved) my dad was pissy and throwing socks and came across it in their dressor. Now she gets her ring checked fairly often. Maybe, hopefully, you will find the lost diamod too.
Old 08-13-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by hotaru_san
that happened to my mother too
She thought she lost it while gardening and we spent a lot of time looking for it. Years later (and after we moved) my dad was pissy and throwing socks and came across it in their dressor. Now she gets her ring checked fairly often. Maybe, hopefully, you will find the lost diamod too.

does your dad throw the socks at your mom when he gets pissed or somewhere else? i'm seeing just a big hissy fit. going crazy throwing socks and other clothes everywhere. ripping the drawers out and dumping them over. that kind of thing.
Old 08-13-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by costanza
does your dad throw the socks at your mom when he gets pissed or somewhere else? i'm seeing just a big hissy fit. going crazy throwing socks and other clothes everywhere. ripping the drawers out and dumping them over. that kind of thing.
it was a hissy fit but he only threw socks and I don't think he threw them at my mom
Old 08-13-04, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That happened to me too. I think sometimes settings are guaranteed, but in my case, we'd lost the receipt.

tasha
Old 08-13-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first thing I did, on the recommendation of the jewelry store, was to get insurance for the ring. They said to make sure you get it fully covered, and that some insurance people will try to slide their way around by not telling you it only covers it if the WHOLE ring is lost. Insurance on it seems to be the simplest answer.
Old 08-13-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
It's a no-brainer, you get something like this insured. The insurance on my fiance's ring is about $250 per year, through Chubb, on a ring valued at $11,800. Chubb offers jewelry and precious stone and metal policies, while many other insurers will only sell a standard contents of the home policy. Basically, if the ring is lost, stolen or damaged, they will replace it with an equivalent ring.
Old 08-13-04, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by RevLiver
It's a no-brainer, you get something like this insured. The insurance on my fiance's ring is about $250 per year, through Chubb, on a ring valued at $11,800. Chubb offers jewelry and precious stone and metal policies, while many other insurers will only sell a standard contents of the home policy. Basically, if the ring is lost, stolen or damaged, they will replace it with an equivalent ring.
Exactly what I have, my friend is in the insurance business and told me that if you ever lose your ring you tell the insurance company that you took it off to wash your hands and accidentely left it on the sink and when you went back 5 minutes later it was gone, or something to that affect. In some instance "losing" it is not reason enough to collect.
Old 08-13-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tasha99
That happened to me too. I think sometimes settings are guaranteed, but in my case, we'd lost the receipt.

tasha
I'm pretty sure my wife's stone is gauranteed, so we can get it replaced should the prongs fail. It is nice having that comfort.
Old 08-13-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got engaged while I was still in college, so the ring I got my wife was ... not particularly costly (two month's salary when you're an undergraduate won't buy a box of crackerjacks with a plastic ring inside, let alone a real ring). Now that I'm a grown-up, I could replace the ring without batting an eye, dollar-wise.

Plus, my wife rarely wears her ring -- she's afraid of something happening to it, so she only wears it when we go to fancy parties.
Old 08-13-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is why my wife selected a 6-prong setting.
Old 08-13-04, 11:05 AM

I would have thought a 4 prong platinum setting would be solid enough to withstand most abuse. Are you sure it was 100% platinum?
Old 08-13-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the well wishes.

As for the setting ... we agreed on plat and I assumed it was. I'm surprised that a piece broke off allowing the diamond to get loose so i'm thinking of reconfirming this. Problem is that the receipt is somewhere buried under a ton of stuff ... moved three times and the usual you know. It's out there somewhere.

Going out tonight with a flashlight to look around the garden and environs. I hope things turn out well like hoturu-san's parents. Even if it's years from now.

Oh, dammit X ... why didn't you tell me that before!?
Old 08-13-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

"find" a zirconia replacement in the carpet.
Old 08-13-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife's ring is guaranteed for life providing she has it cleaned/checked every six months (no charge). She lost one of the side diamonds (fell out) and they replaced it for free. In fact, they apologized.
Old 08-14-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That happened to my wife once. Her nephew was over and said the same thing happened to his mom (her sister) and it was in her back pocket. My wife looks and sure enough it was in her back pocket. The seam on the pocket had ripped off the diamond and she was lucky enough to notice it right when it happened.

Cue Twilight Zone music.
Old 08-14-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I appreciate the advice and intend to take it.

I'm going to have my wife stop into the local jeweler and have hers checked out.

We have no receipt or insurance for it after 12 years. I know she'd be horrified if it happened to her.
Old 08-15-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by neiname
Exactly what I have, my friend is in the insurance business and told me that if you ever lose your ring you tell the insurance company that you took it off to wash your hands and accidentely left it on the sink and when you went back 5 minutes later it was gone, or something to that affect. In some instance "losing" it is not reason enough to collect.
I know you are not suggesting that people committ insurance fruad are you????

And you really think it is a good idea to tell your insurance company how stupid you were by leaving a several thousand $$$ ring at a sink when you washed your hands? You think they will want to continue to insure you if you are that stupid???

Several others have mentioned it, you should take out specific insurance on these types of items. Either an endorsement to your standard Homeowners policy or a seperate "floater" policy. Floater policies are the best value in insurance imho. I have not only my wifes jewelry on one, but also my laptop, golf clubs, camera equipment, etc. No deductible and covers everying (except mechanical damage). But talk to you insurance person, different policies cover different things and different insurance companies have different policies. And BTW most floater polices do indeed cover lose of an item.
Old 08-15-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, based on this, i think cz is a better choice! much cheaper to replace!
Old 08-25-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news.

Well, it actually happened this morning.

My wife was downstairs doing laundry when I heard her yell my name out real loud and in a tone that sounded like trouble.

I thought that I was in big shite but like a good husband I went downstairs anyways.

In her hand was the loose diamond that had fallen out a couple of weeks ago. She said that she approached the washer without the light on because it was around 9am and the light was coming through the window ... when she leaned over to throw clothes in the washer she noticed a glint on the floor (bare concrete).

I am relieved.

I wasn't upset at all ... just a bit resigned that I would have to spend mucho money to replace the diamond .... but now I don't have to spend that money on a diamond (home theater perhaps?) anymore. Alright!

But now i'm going to get it set in a 6 prong set and maybe spend money on an anniversary band or something. Maybe extra insurance.

Anyways, all is well that ends well.

Thank freakin' (insert deity here).
Old 08-25-04, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew you were going to find it.

Enjoy the new Home Theater or whatever strikes your fancy.