Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been in a water war as a kid?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-12-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using water guns and water balloons as a water war. They were the best during summer during the mid-90’s I remember we used to have many little battles commonly during the year but the bigger ones occurred during summer. We used to be real serious back then about it which I just find many great moments from them laughing at some of the things that happened. Our little wars happened throughout our school year but never during the fall or winter, only once I remember we tried having a water clash during the winter, my goodness did it suck. Shivering, in wet clothing, just snuffed it off and went home.

When summer came along, our neighborhood had its back to the countryside near a wooded region. A few houses had folks moving away and became overgrown and dilapidated. We’d go around asking friends to go get their water guns and balloons if they had any, and then they’d tell their friends they knew. It was a pain to have even teams , and we had “blue” teams and “red” teams. Just to distinguish each team we’d wear a shirt in that color. A lot wanted to be in the blue team because the color is closer to the green spectrum and thus harder to pick out of the neighborhood. I had a red shirt so I was in the red team. We’d go into nearby thrift stores to buy water balloons. First we’d have ‘shifts’ to be water carriers or soldiers. The carriers had water bottles of all sizes hauling it to our troops who were fighting it out somewhere along our ‘front’ I even have a map from then which was drawn out and with arrows showing how many soldiers going through which passage way. Our base was usually a well-guarded, semi-tree house. Planks bolted to trees and ladder ropes made, in the ‘tree fort’ was our main general who had the plans. Our rule was to not leave for our house before telling our main general at any time during the warring.

Our largest war was in the summer of ’97 when we managed to have 42 guys on the red team and 57 on the blue team. It was hard to have people come to other teams to even it out because usually brothers would want to be in the same team as their other siblings.
Old 08-12-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah...remember these?

Classic
Old 08-12-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know Bush as a kid liked to invade his neighbor's yard looking for dirt bombs.

He never found them.
Old 08-12-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha we used super soakers not that shit...
Old 08-12-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My elementary school had a camp every year for the 6th graders. The teachers and some students from the high school up the street were counsleors. They cheated in the water fight though. They had a fort, a hose, and vinegar, which burns like a mother when it hits your eyes
Old 08-12-04, 11:37 PM

All the freakin time during summers.

I wish I were a kid again.

On a related note, the best episode of Salute Your Shorts was when they played capture the flag with water balloons.
Old 08-13-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ahhh...supersoaker...those were teh days...
Old 08-13-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Water wars. Bah. Spoiled little shits. Back in my day we had rock and brick wars and we liked it. Water was for the rich kids.
Old 08-13-04, 12:27 AM
Banned

Water wars? Never did those.

We had fireworks wars. I made a killer shoulder mount rocket launcher which used bundles of cheap bottle rockets that had been taped together. Make about 50 rounds, load them into a tool belt, go out and shoot them at my brother. He preferred a slingshot and firecracker arrangement, with occassional hand thrown multi-firecracker grenades. My dad used one bottle rocket at a time, simply waiting for the fuse to burn down, then tossing it up into the air, underhanded by the stick, at the right moment. It'd arc thru the air, and man, when it was pointing at you, it'd light up and nail you from above. He was a crack shot at that. I got to be pretty good at it myself, when I wasn't having to dodge my brothers grenades coming at me from odd places, like the roof, or from behind the grill, or behind the big natural gas tank out back. He wasn't too bright about his hiding spots, my brother. And of course, we all kept a couple of roman candles on us, for close range infighting.

I used to have t-shirts with dozens of holes burnt into them, or blown out of them. The time it got really fun was around the 4th of July, of course, because that was when we extended the allowable range to go across the street, and would try to pick each other off without crossing the street. Like a demilitarized zone. Hiding behind passing cars was fair game, and many a windshield got zinged by a poorly aimed bottle rocket. The only damage done was to ruin the rocket's aim though. My dad always won these because of the aerial assault tactic, which we were not great at. That and my bro didn't have much of a throwing arm.

Note that when you are shooting a bottle rocket launching device at a moving target, you not only have to lead the target quite a bit, but perform head fakes in order to cause directional changes in the target at the right moment. It's a gift, I guess.
Old 08-13-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'97??? kid???

Dude, that makes ME feel old.
Old 08-13-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The bulk of our troops were in the 11-15 range. Keep in mind i consider anything under 18 a kid.
Old 08-13-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Water wars. Bah. Spoiled little shits. Back in my day we had rock and brick wars and we liked it. Water was for the rich kids.

water balloons yes, spray guns not really our thing.
Old 08-13-04, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure did. I had a buncha different super soakers over the years, and a few of those dip stick things. Those were rad.
Old 08-13-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BizRodian
'97??? kid???

Dude, that makes ME feel old.
Hell, people mentioning super soakers makes me feel old. I don't think those were even in stores when I was 12.
Old 08-13-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had water wars as an adult.
Old 08-13-04, 08:33 AM

water war + coffee cans = stitches in eyebrow
Old 08-13-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Yeah, me too. Water wasn't painful enough for us, we only had wars that could cause real damage. It was like Lord of the Flies when I was a lad.
Old 08-13-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Oh yeah...remember these?

Classic
these things were great but they broke really easily. I remember when they first came out...they sold out in minutes.
Old 08-13-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Does 19 still qualify for "kid"?

I remember flooding an entire floor of Butterfield Hall at ol' MSU...