Reload this Page >

Lets Talk About Dental Clowns Shall We?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Lets Talk About Dental Clowns Shall We?

Old 08-12-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets Talk About Dental Crowns Shall We?

So, I went to my dentist the other day. NIce enough fellow I suppose, despite his love of sticking sharp pointy things into my mouth. But that's really neither here nor there I suppose.

When I was 13, I woke up on XMAS morning, with my front tooth completely grey. Scary thing to see when you're 13 trying to pick up girls and hitting puberty. Went to the dentist the 26th and had a root canal. Great way to spend my XMAS vacation from school. He put a bleach packet in, which restored the color in the tooth, and shoved me on my way.

Aroudn the age of 17, I saw some discoloring slipping back in. I mentioned it to him, and he said it was normal for a root canaled tooth to do that, and there really isn't much he could do to fix it other then oral surgery(I guess he meant a crown? I don't know).

So, by 19, it got darker. 21 darker. ETc. Now I'm 24. The tooth is grey around the top, and kind of browish/white thru the rest. It's noticeable, but not disgusting. Just you can tell that something is wrong. I have a really nice smile other then that.

I'd like to have it fixed.

I called my dnetist, made an appointment to have it evaulated, turns out a new dentist bought it out since I was there last, so I had a new guy.

He talked to me a for a bit, told me I had my first cavity and I needed to get the front tooth crowned (it's the right front tooth, of course it couldn't be one on the sides).

He explained what was going on inside the tooth(with it's missing root/nerves and all) and the possible dangers I could have by not getting it done.

My thoughts are basically wondering why my last dentist didnt'w ant to put the crown on.

I'm kind of scared to have it done. Not due to pain or financial burden, but just because of "the future".

I get a football or baseball to the face. Wham! $350 out of pocket to fix it. I get something at work dropped on my face. Same thing(though they should pay for it).

Also, he said he'd have to go all porcelin, which worries the hell out of me, as I've heard they aren't nearly as sturdy as the other kinds, but on the front tooth, you really have no alternate options.

I don't know, anyone have one of their front teeth crowned?

Horror Stories? ?Positive things?
Old 08-12-04, 03:25 PM

I am missing four of my front teeth, two on top, two on the bottom. They just never came in. In high school, I had four porcelin bridges put in, so the entire front of my mouth is bridgework.

It took over twelve years for one of them to break. It was expensive to fix, but for the long haul it worked great. I still have my original bridges on the other three, so I'm happy.

By coincidence I'm getting a crown on one of my back molars tomorrow.
Old 08-12-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I've had a gold crown on a back molar for oh... I dunno... 7 or 8 years I guess. Works great so far, although it was expensive... Dunno if I'd do it again though. But, no experience with a front crown. Helpful, aren't I?
Old 08-12-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats the problem with Groucho, can never tell if he's being serious or not....
Old 08-12-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have one front all porcelain crown. It's only about a year old but seems fine; on back teeth I have other gold and porcelain over gold crowns, some are 40 years old.

My dentist puts metal rods in them and drills corresponding holes in the tooth for more support. Still, they are basically glued in place and sometimes the glue fails. As long as you don't swallow or drop it, it can be reglued and that is free or very nominal. Of course if you fracture either the crown or remaining tooth stock, a new crown has to be made.
Old 08-12-04, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
Thats the problem with Groucho, can never tell if he's being serious or not....
I'm serious this time. You know now more about my mouth I ever thought I'd share here.
Old 08-12-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by OldDude
I have one front all porcelain crown. It's only about a year old but seems fine; on back teeth I have other gold and porcelain over gold crowns, some are 40 years old.

My dentist puts metal rods in them and drills corresponding holes in the tooth for more support. Still, they are basically glued in place and sometimes the glue fails. As long as you don't swallow or drop it, it can be reglued and that is free or very nominal. Of course if you fracture either the crown or remaining tooth stock, a new crown has to be made.
So, I mean, do you have to be careful if you grab something like pizza or a sandwich? or just hard things like beef jerky and jolly ranchers?
Old 08-12-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a good question. The tooth broke and I took in the piece. The dentist said it had multiple stress cracks in it and that's why it broke. He said (shining a light through it) the next tooth over also has stress cracks and I should be careful if I don't want two crowns. Of course, that protects his crown too. He didn't say anything about the crown being delicate though, and never has on any other others. I've gone to him forever -- he put in the 40 year old crowns. I first saw him in 1962.

I am not careful of the molar type crowns in back and have never had trouble except 1-2 glue failures eatting something sticky. He has reglued those. On really hard stuff, say carrots, you might want to crush with your molars rather than biting off with the front teeth.

To protect the next tooth over, I now cut apples with a knife instead of biting off a piece with front teeth. But it is another natural tooth I'm protecting, not the crown. You certainly don't need to worry about sandwiches, pizza, etc. If you crack a jolly rancher, use a molar. Beef jerky is more chewy than crunchy, I think it would be OK.
Old 08-12-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Old Dude.

Can you tell a difference between the crown up front and it's next door neighbor?
Old 08-12-04, 04:06 PM
Suspended

I've had a few crowns. What exactly do you want to know? What kind of food you can eat? I would say that its a good idea to stay away from jolly rancher type of stress on you teeth to begin with, especially your front or side teeth...but I digress. I still enjoy all the food I want, I just stay away from the extremely hard food. And if its a choice between a nasty looking tooth or giving up some type of food...I gladely choose the giving up of food.
Old 08-12-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had three or four crowns, but all on back teeth.

As for front crowns, there was this woman I met yesterday who had two crowns in the front. Extremely obvious, they were white and the rest of her teeth were sort of a dark white color.
Old 08-12-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heat
I've had three or four crowns, but all on back teeth.

As for front crowns, there was this woman I met yesterday who had two crowns in the front. Extremely obvious, they were white and the rest of her teeth were sort of a dark white color.
He claims that he'll be able to match the shade almost perfectly.

Perhaps hers were just done, and she had the temps in yet?
Old 08-12-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I drink a lot of tea and coffee and there is some difference in staining. He "color matched" when my teeth had recently been cleaned by the hygenist and that's when they match. During the six months between cleanings, there is some mismatch. My real teeth are more prone to staining than the crown, but they don't all match each other either.

It's a minor color difference and apart from that, I don't think you could tell.
Old 08-12-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I've had (still got) a bunch of crowns - full, 3/4, 1/2 - gold, platinum alloy, porcelain, et.

The thing you need to know: They're expensive as hell.
Old 08-12-04, 04:18 PM
Suspended

Regarding the front teeth not matching. I also believe they have some kind of film they can put over the real teeth to make it match even better if you were really worried about that.
Old 08-12-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2
I've had (still got) a bunch of crowns - full, 3/4, 1/2 - gold, platinum alloy, porcelain, et.

The thing you need to know: They're expensive as hell.
You got that right. My insurance pays "usual and customary", my dentist charges "unusual and exorbitant" and I have to pay the difference.
Old 08-12-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have my 5 front top teeth crowned with porcelain... but they have metal on the back of the tooth. One of them cracked because I clench my jaw sometimes when I sleep... one time when I had the temporary on, I bit so hard that by bottom tooth stuck in it and pulled it off. The cracked crown however just lost a sliver on the side, it didn't crack all the way through, and I haven't gotten it fixed yet. None of the crowns have come off, and I still eat things like Nips, Abba Zabba, etc... I am careful to not get the candy stuck to my front teeth, but I have crowns on the back teeth as well.

It is kind of odd that with a root canal you didn't automatically get a crown. I supposedly didn't have a choice.

My front crowns were color matched to the rest of my teeth, but the thing that sucks is if I ever have my teeth whitened, the crowns will not match.
Old 08-12-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

The dentist charged my wife $1,020 for a procelain crown. Luckily, she has a very good dental insurance policy that paid all but $180 of it.

Unluckily, the crown didn't fit. Of course the dentist blamed it on the lab.
Old 08-12-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, it is about $800 here of which my insurance pays about half. My dentist usually has to do some work to make it fit, but if he couldn't make it fit, I'm sure he would order a replacement at his expense (or argue with the lab).
Old 08-12-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My insurance will pay for 60% of it.

The crown is $783.
Old 08-12-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have four crowns. After insurance, I had to pay around $550.00 per crown

The only part I liked about getting the crowns was the laughing gas.
Old 08-12-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by OldDude
Wow, it is about $800 here of which my insurance pays about half. My dentist usually has to do some work to make it fit, but if he couldn't make it fit, I'm sure he would order a replacement at his expense (or argue with the lab).
You've got to understand. This is Oklahoma. Most folks here gum it. Therefore, the dentists have got to make it up by those that don't choose to gum it.
Old 08-12-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CMan.

So, is the process painful?

The tooth I have is dead already I guess, with no root/nerve in it...
Old 08-12-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

A root canal is almost standard with having a crown now. It's simply another way to make more money. I will admit, sometimes a root canal is necessary, but certainly not all the time. Most of my crowns (I've had them for quite sometime) don't have root canals.
Old 08-12-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The tooth has already had the root canal done....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.