Reload this Page >

disturbing picture

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

disturbing picture

Old 08-12-04, 11:05 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disturbing picture

Is the man in white holding a young boy in front of him as a shield?
Old 08-12-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you think cowards fought?
Old 08-12-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but it's an easy head shot for a sniper.
Old 08-12-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: disturbing picture

Originally posted by Save Ferris
Is the man in white holding a young boy in front of him as a shield?
If it were shielding, he's be holding the boy in front of his head and chest. Instead, it looks like he picked up the boy - maybe to turn and move him out of harm's way, or to carry him away.

But I do find your interpretations interesting.

I also find it interesting that there's no comment about a soldiers apparently aiming a weapon at a group of apparently unarmed men, women, and children. I guess that's par for the course these days.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 08-12-04 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-12-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

people look unarmed to me. crap, I'd pick up the nearest kid and use him as a sheild. There's no telling what those soldiers will do... they are taking orders from Bus- I mean Cheney after all.
Old 08-12-04, 11:18 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

the people could of been throwing rocks or moltov cocktails. One man is clearly hoisting up a huge blue cooler that might contain a bomb.

Its not the best way to pick up a kid if you're afraid hes going to get shot.
Old 08-12-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: disturbing picture

Originally posted by sfsdfd
If it were shielding, he's be holding the boy in front of his head and chest. Instead, it looks like he picked up the boy - maybe to turn and move him out of harm's way, or to carry him away.

But I do find your interpretations interesting.

I also find it interesting that there's no comment about a soldiers apparently aiming a weapon at a group of apparently unarmed men, women, and children. I guess that's par for the course these days.

- David Stein
The guy on the right is definately hold a gun at them, but I'm not so sure about the guy on the left.

We obviously don't know what happend moments before (or after) the picture was taken, but how do you know if these people were throwing rocks or possible hand gernades at these soldiers.

A picture is just a snapshot in time. While it says a thousand words, it leaves out a thousand more.
Old 08-12-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

You guys have it wrong. Our soldiers are mad that they got beat at soccer and they are attempting to stop the Iraqis from pouring gatorade on the guy who scored the winning goal.
Old 08-12-04, 11:40 AM

I fully expect this pic to be headlining on Democracy Now's website, if it isn't already. I would be interesting to know more about the story behind the pic first though.
Old 08-12-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Watch it, Sarge. That man has a water cooler and it looks like he's not afraid to use it."
Old 08-12-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: disturbing picture

Originally posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein
Yeah...
... too bad they didn't show a few photos of what happened moments before this particular picture was taken. One of our soldiers was killed when one of the women in that crowd raised a rifle that was hidden and shot and killed him. She was shot and killed in response and these 2 soldiers were containing the rest of the group until reinforcements could arrive and a thorough check could be performed.

Spoiler:
that is a perfectly valid interpretation too.
Old 08-12-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see the big deal with this picture... why are we even interpreting it? You must see this 1000 times a day in Baghdad right now.
Old 08-12-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the people could of been throwing rocks or moltov cocktails. One man is clearly hoisting up a huge blue cooler that might contain a bomb.

Its not the best way to pick up a kid if you're afraid hes going to get shot.
So where on Yahoo did you get the picture? Maybe that would explain what's going on instead of everyone having to guess.
Old 08-12-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the soldier on the right is holding a polaroid camera and everyone is flexing for the picture.
Old 08-12-04, 01:58 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I got that pic out of a story they had about the new Najaf offensive.
Old 08-12-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
The interpretation reminds me of the Elian "Alien" Gonzalez picture years ago . . . anybody?
Old 08-12-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
I don't see the big deal with this picture... why are we even interpreting it? You must see this 1000 times a day in Baghdad right now.
Great, as if the "caption this" photo threads weren't bad enough, now we have to deal with "interpret this" photo threads.
Old 08-12-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I see no weapons in this photo at all. I see no evidence that the soldiers are pointing guns at those people. Heck, I don't see any evidence that those really are soldiers -- they could be mannikins for all I know.
Old 08-12-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it interesting that the first thing somebody sees in this photo is a guy using a child as a human shield. To me, it just looks like he's gotten hold of his kid to protect him from what may transpire next or perhaps run with him. Certainly doesn't appear to be hiding behind him, or hiding at all.
Old 08-12-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The same Najaf that the Iraqi government asked us not to go into? So much for the "Iraqi Government"
Old 08-12-04, 02:25 PM

I find it odd that nobody else has commented about the guy right below the blue cooler who looks to be getting ready to run towards the soldiers! Um, I'd draw my weapon too, if someone would not comply.

Either that or he's performing the chicken dance!

Sonic
Old 08-12-04, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by CRM114
The same Najaf that the Iraqi government asked us not to go into? So much for the "Iraqi Government"
They don't seem too upset about it

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...1514&ncid=1473

BAGHDAD (AFP) - A joint offensive by US troops and Iraqi security forces against Shiite Muslim militiamen in the central city of Najaf will continue, Defence Minister Hazem al-Shalan said.

"The operations are continuing in the city and will continue until the militia is forced out or they surrender to Iraqi authorities and benefit from the amnesty scheme announced by the prime minister," he told reporters.

On Saturday, premier Iyad Allawi unveiled a limited 30-day amnesty for people supporting the country's 16-month insurgency.

Shalan said 1,200 militiamen had been captured in Najaf, "many of them non-Iraqis" who do not speak Arabic, adding that multinational forces were based in the city's 1920 Revolution Square.

Some 400 militiamen have been killed, captured or wounded in the nearby southern city of Kut, he added.

US planes pounded bastions of militia leader Moqtada Sadr's Mehdi Army in Kut overnight, killing 75 people, the health ministry said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=540&ncid=1473
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi called Thursday on the Shiite militants fighting U.S. and Iraqi forces in the holy city of Najaf to put down their weapons and leave the Imam Ali shrine where they have sought refuge.

Allawi's appeal, made in a statement read by Iraqi officials, came as U.S. and Iraqi forces began a major operation in Najaf intended to defeat the militants.

The militants have been holed up in the shrine, one of the holiest sites in Shia Islam, during the fighting and the U.S. military accused them of launching attacks from the shrine compound.

"These places have never been exposed to such violations in the past," he said, adding that the violence has killed many innocent people.

"Our government calls upon all the armed groups to drop their weapons and return to society," Allawi said. "We also call upon all the armed men to evacuate the holy shrine and not to violate its holiness."
Old 08-12-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the caption
"U.S. soldiers aim their guns as Iraqi civilians flee their homes for safety during a day of heavy gun battles in the holy city of Najaf in southern Iraq on Thursday, Aug. 12, 2004. U.S. forces launched a major offensive to crush a militia loyal to radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. The fighting between U.S. forces and al-Sadr's Mahdi Army militia began here a week ago and has spread to other Shiite areas of the country." (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bag11108121220

Last edited by Roto; 08-12-04 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nemein
They don't seem too upset about it
What are they going to do? They asked the US NOT to take Najaf and were ignored, evidently.

"Ibrahim Jaafari, one of Iraq's two vice-presidents, is a leader of the Islamist Dawa party and has topped opinion polls as Iraq's most popular politician. “I call for multinational forces to leave Najaf and for only Iraqi forces to remain there,” he told al-Jazeera television. “Iraqi forces can administer Najaf to end this phenomenon of violence in this city that is holy to all Muslims.”"

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/16ce4778-eb...00e2511c8.html

Sovereignty.
Old 08-12-04, 02:47 PM

Yeah, we are the first army in history to brandish a weapon when people don't comply. Maybe the soldiers were trying to clear the streets. Unfortunately sometimes people need to see a gun to get them to pay attention.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.